HybridZ

Who Daily Drives their s30

Regarding the exhaust fumes on S30 as being DD, there is a real danger here of carbon monoxide poisoning. Basically, the Carbon Monoxide(CO) enters your bloodstream through your lungs and bonds with the oxygen(02) molecules, preventing the O2 from being absorbed by your vital organs which includes your heart and brain. This can lead to all kinds of bad things. Since CO is colorless and odorless, you may already be exposed even if you can smell the exhaust fumes. Take this VERY seriously.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met a few people who've gotten sick from CO poisoning, yes it's very serious. That being said they were all working on auto shops without proper ventilation. You also tend to notice the effects of CO poisoning before it's too late unless like The Infidel said you're shoving a hose in your face with CO.

• 10 months later...

Stupid question maybe, but do all s30 produce excess fumes? Or is it just bc the engine is so old.. I'm having a l28 rebuilt, from the bottom up, completely new.. wonder if ill have this problem bc i will be daily driving it

Does it suck in air? Then it's going to produce fumes! :-D

Now, the quality of said fumes depend on a million factors. Will it be carbed or EFI? Are you running all original rubber fuel lines? Have you inspected the rubber in the back at the fume tank deal (can't remember it's exact name)? Are you planning on running a CAT? Are your seals in good shape (that means firewall, HVAC, Doors, Windows, Hatch, Tail Lights, etc)?

New cars produce plenty of fumes in their own right, they just smell a heck of a lot better and what you CAN smell usually doesn't get into the cabin thanks to much better seals that are NEW versus mediocre seals that are 30+ years old...

My wife hates driving in the Z. She likes the car, but the smell is too much for her. It doesn't affect me too much, and I dont think its THAT bad, but she hates it. And although it doesn't affect me physically, clothes and hair reeking of exhaust fumes doesn't bode well for every day life. The unfortunate part is that mine smells 5x worse with the windows down.. I think that will be the focus of my attention come spring. Gotta get rid of that smell!

Does it suck in air? Then it's going to produce fumes! :-D

Now, the quality of said fumes depend on a million factors. Will it be carbed or EFI? Are you running all original rubber fuel lines? Have you inspected the rubber in the back at the fume tank deal (can't remember it's exact name)? Are you planning on running a CAT? Are your seals in good shape (that means firewall, HVAC, Doors, Windows, Hatch, Tail Lights, etc)?

New cars produce plenty of fumes in their own right, they just smell a heck of a lot better and what you CAN smell usually doesn't get into the cabin thanks to much better seals that are NEW versus mediocre seals that are 30+ years old...

its going to be efi, And i currently have the interior stripped right now and going to seam seal everything hopefully it isnt as bad as it is now, After 20 minutes of driving clothes and hair would reek of gas/fumes like mentioned above.

Ill be running a cat just for the hell of it bc it isnt required just for the fumes

What else should I do to stop the fumes into getting inside the cabin.

I still daily my 280, through the snow and slush too. Frame rails are about 17mm from the ground now, and my exhaust dumps right under the seat. I haven't noticed any excess fumes or anything and I feel fine when I drive my car. 

As funny as it might be, maybe the fact that you're dumping directly under the middle of the car is why the smell isn't creeping back inside. 

That, or your car is incredibly well sealed? Interesting nonetheless. You might have discovered a simple solution to ridding ourselves of the stink!

Edited by thedarkie