HybridZ

RB26DETT into 240Z Beginner Progress

getoffmyinternet

Am I a complete idiot?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Am I a complete idiot?

• Yes, either that or completely insane.
    • No, props to you!

Basically, I have been looking around this site all day since I got my 240z with an l28 and a 5 speed from a 280 last week. I was planning on driving it for a while before on embarking on such a feat, but it seems that the engine's best day was the one I went and bought the car, so I've decided to jump right into a swap.

Today I picked up an rb26 with an rb25 trans with "uncut" harness basically fresh off the boat. I didn't see any forums that went through the whole process of swapping the engine, and as a beginner myself, I think it would make for a useful read for any other's out there that are thinking of doing the same thing. Hopefully it will prove to be encouraging and helpful. I'm not at all an expert on the matter, but my old man has been an expert mechanic his whole life, and there's plenty of literature on the internet in bits and pieces, so with my brains, his brawn, and a little help from this site (especially that really nice wiring writeup), I'm about to attempt to make it happen. I'll try to take as many good pictures as I can as well as post prices, which may also be of use to someone thinking that once they have a long block and a shell they're good to go.

Goal:

engine.jpg

It may be a few weeks before I get my crap all together and you actually see real progress, as all projects go, but I don't think I'm in over my head yet (I guess we'll find out!).

The car cost me $2600. Please don't pm me saying I spent too much and crap, I really don't think that will help.

The engine and trans cost me $3000. If you can't tell from that photoshop job, it did come with a clutch, starter, alternator, a/c compressor, etc. and supposedly everyhing else I need engine-wise.

The basic grocery list so far (and help me on this part all you want):

3 core aluminum radiator (at least, with 2 pullers?)

custom intercooler (possibly water-to-air?)

custom drive shaft (I'm assuming)

hydraulic clutch pump (might be interesting)

tons of hoses and piping (obviously)

As for the oil pan, I haven't really looked into it much, but I know a pretty darn good welder and my theory is that I can remove that transfer case (and sell it on ebay) and seal the holes shut. Otherwise, I will obviously have to buy an rb20 pan and make adjustments for the rear sump configuration.

Of course I might also need to buy an engine stand if I can't borrow one (yes, I know, I don't own my own stand, deal with it).

I'll add to the grocery list as I go if I have forgotten anything (although I undoubtedly will have to buy more things as I progress anyway).

Total Time: 1 hrs

Total Expense: $3000

So, how am I doing so far?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could tell you I had a crazy warehouse source, but I'd been scouring the internet, and I actually found it right here in the sell forum and then again on ebay but it didn't sell so I sent him an email. He had it listed for $4500 but I live 20 minutes and brought enough cash to sway him. He was actually going to put it in his 240z but got laid of and can no longer afford the project. Sad story. His car was probably in better shape as he had already bought all kinds of replacement parts. Perhaps he will be willing to sell me those too. :D Hell, I would trade cars, because when I got this one my budget wasn't very high and went with a salvage. It doesn't look like it's ever been hit or anything, and I could personally care less, but there is always that lingering sense of investment loss upon resale, in like ten years from now! :) Cheers!

OH MY GOD I COMPLETELY FORGOT!!

:D

I haven't even named my z yet! My last car (a wrangler) was just too rugged to have a name. What's a good name? What are your names, I'm curious (I'm not going to use yours, that would be lame). I'm bad at naming cars. The first thing off the top of my head is "Rob" but perhaps that is too retarded to even be funny. Obviously it would be unprecedented in that it is a male name...

Oh, and I need a fuel pump! I'm not sure which is best. Just any universal Walbro 255lph off ebay perhaps? If anyone can help with how to get a hold of the right parts let me know. Thanks!

zcars dont use intank pumps (generally) unless you make it work.

Evan

BTW, awesome deal on the motor. If the paint is as good as it looks in your photo the price you paid for the car was reasonable.

Oh, and I need a fuel pump! I'm not sure which is best. Just any universal Walbro 255lph off ebay perhaps? If anyone can help with how to get a hold of the right parts let me know. Thanks!

Walbro GSL-392 is the inline pump you want. (I run 2 of them)

I agree with the above guys.... they both have silly fast set ups running Walbros.

Even my wimpy set up uses them.... :P

click

31718191899.jpg

31619222185.jpg

Yeah, your "wimpy" setup. Nice try, but I've already drooled over all the 200 some odd putfile images on car with said setup so I recognize that little deal... Do you mind telling me ballpark how much you've put into your engine bay so far? It indeed looks silly fast and museum worthy. I'm thinking like as much as I make in a year? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could get that much cash advance though.:-D

I found out that the r32s only ran 43psi at 190lph fuel pumps, so I think I'll try to find something that will do the job. As I've been counting my money and adding to the shopping list, I'm getting impatient that I might have to wait longer to afford parts. Basically it's time to shift into budget mode. It's better that way anyways. If it costs me more down the line to buy a ridiculous fuel pump so I can pass 600hp then so be it. Actually my dad can order any bosche from work for about $40 and I think my radiator can just be recored to 4 rows at a local shop. ;)