HybridZ

RB26DETT into 240Z Beginner Progress

getoffmyinternet

Am I a complete idiot?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Am I a complete idiot?

• Yes, either that or completely insane.
    • No, props to you!

I think I just missed a good deal on a 300zx MAF but I was unsure if it was the right kind. There seem to be a lot of different part numbers for these things, who's got em? I am right in thinking the 300zx MAF will work right? I'm not sure on year specifics though. Anyway, if there's something I should know, pm me. I'm just trying to find a cheap pair on ebay and all I have to go on is 80mm 300zx. Is it imperative that they are specific model or are at least both identical to each other?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First purchase! I know I'm slow. R32 Repair manuals on CD. Lol. There's another copy if anyone else wants one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Skyline-R32-R33-OEM-Service-Repair-Manuals_W0QQitemZ220166493018QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220166493018

Also, apparently the guy I bought the engine from used the term "uncut" loosely because I was taking a closer look and found that the plugs for the MAFs have been cut off, so now I need to find two MAFs AND the plugs.

hi guys, Hayden here this is my first post to hybridz

im looking too rb26dett my 280zx, ive got a rb26dett with 26box lined up for 5.5k im new to the rbz conversion so bare with me :P

First of all i would like a few opinions on the makeing of the custom sump. My old man is a fitter welder by trade, is it a difficult task? will i have to design my own? or would anyone have a template that i could follow?

Secondly, after setting up the awd transmition too rear, will the stock 280 driveshaft fit? or is there a driveshaft out of something else that will fit snugg?

thanks guys!

much help needed :P

hi guys, Hayden here this is my first post to hybridz

im looking too rb26dett my 280zx, ive got a rb26dett with 26box lined up for 5.5k im new to the rbz conversion so bare with me :P

First of all i would like a few opinions on the makeing of the custom sump. My old man is a fitter welder by trade, is it a difficult task? will i have to design my own? or would anyone have a template that i could follow?

Secondly, after setting up the awd transmition too rear, will the stock 280 driveshaft fit? or is there a driveshaft out of something else that will fit snugg?

thanks guys!

much help needed :P

the sump may be a problem with the 280zx front crossmember.

the front drive axles need only be removed in order to have the car be RWD. Driveshaft fitment you'd need to check. There is no AWD S130 with an RB26 box that I know of. It might be worth it to sell to someone and get a 25box.

and 5.5 K? you can find that for 4.5 or less

infact, you can get one with an RB25 transmission for about 4.5 give or take.

that should set you right up

as for the custom sump, greddy and trust make weld'on sumps =) so if ur old man is a welder, buy one, and then get the dimensions, copy it, and then sell the greddy one ebay when you're done :D

not a bad idea.

Hey getoffmyinternet,

I would recommend researching a lot more before you go on with this project. What good are the mounts for a good price if they are not made to fit the RB in a S30? And depending on what you will do, if you go with a stand alone EMS you might not even need the MAFs. Research a lot or you'll end up spending a lot more money than needed. Just some friendly advice :burnout:

It seems that it would be both cheaper and easier to get the mafs than to buy a standalone ems because one of those would be much more of a hassle to put in than one I already have that is mostly together, is built for the engine, and just needs a few accessories to be complete. Don't the pros outweigh the cons of going with the stock ems since I am already heading that direction?

It seems that it would be both cheaper and easier to get the mafs than to buy a standalone ems because one of those would be much more of a hassle to put in than one I already have that is mostly together, is built for the engine, and just needs a few accessories to be complete. Don't the pros outweigh the cons of going with the stock ems since I am already heading that direction?

well if you get an alternate MAF, then you have to rom-tune the stock ems to reconfigure it's data acquisition from the MAF or use a piggyback system, which will start to add up after a couple of them are piggybacked onto one another.

and from there it becomes a guessing game, and not quite a proper tune.

but it's ok for moderate levels of power.

My advice, this being your first swap, is to make it as stock as you can. makes getting bugs ironed out 100x easier.

My first real turbo swap was an L28t with SDS etc... it took ALONG time because I was so green. I should have stuck it in there stock and called it good.

Evan

I guess that's a more sensible way of looking at it.

If you wanna build the car and have immediate fun with it, it's probably the best bet. you can always add EMS later.

Guy name for a Z is good and not new think of project Hugo that is gonna be a beast ! Im going to keep a close eye on your updates because im green to and want the RB swap too . But i will be going with infinity machining mounts tho .