HybridZ
Z8driver

Ford V8 Conversion Writeup

My fuel lines on my 76 are 3/8" feed and return, the line that ran from the evap canister is a 5/16" line, that was what was in the car when i got it, only 1 of the 2 larger lines were hooked up to fuel system when i got it, it had already had the fuelinjection removed and 3 webers on the motor when i got it.

is that just on the 280z?

b/c from what ive read the 240z comes with 5/16 feed/return

but i have an early 260z 74. so i guess i have 5/16 lines.

would 5/16 even handle over 300whp?

According to the calculator i looked up 25' of 3/8" steel tubing running 7 psi will flow 7 gal/minute, with a pressure drop of about .5 psi, 25" of 5/16" steel tubing running 7 psi will flow 4.8 gal/minute with a pressure drop of about .65 psi. If you have a motor that can run that kind of flow through it even with a return line i wanna see that intake system...lol

Excellent writeup Z8driver, will no doubt be infinitely valueable to me as I start my project.

I did have a quick question. I've heard mention of the "universal" transdapt ford small block crossmember being used, and I was wondering why you didn't go that route. Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere, I did some searching in this thread and on your site and didn't find mention of it.

Obviously your piece looks much stouter but I may not have the tools/resources available to me to build one like that. So I'm considering other options which might be a bit more pedestrian and easily available.

Again, excellent writeup, and beautiful car!

qwikrex - That's a good question about the Transdapt. I think one of these could be made to work, and it could save some fabrication. The trick would be to make the ends so that it could support the weight and torque of the motor when attached to the sheet metal "frame" of the Z-car. Based on the small pad size that they provide at the end of the tubes, it looks like the Transdapt was designed to be attached to real frame members. If you use one, I would recommend using a big chunk of angle at each side that goes over the Z's frame and bolts front and rear - then attach the Transdapt to the angle. I would think it would mount quite a ways below the top of the frame. Keep in mind that as you accelerate, the drivers side of the motor wants to lift up while the passenger side is pushing down. Good luck with your project - let me know how it goes.

I just got part way through your write up of your Ford small block installation in the 240Z and wanted to the compliment you on the quality of your text and photos. This is a swap I've contemplated for some time for the same reasons you noted and I hope to start one in the near future. Nicely done and I think this will be very helpful. I especially appreciate you sharing the lessons learned.

:icon46:

Rick M.

Goleta, CA

Thats a really fun read.

Like going through time but really compressed!! Ha!

Most of the "next time" things in your article have been suffered through by thoes before you.

But I'm so glad to see that not only did you have the fortitude and patients to get through it, but the machine shop and other resources to add options as well.

I used the famous Ansil (sorry if my spelling blows) cross member and stuffed precision gear LSD guts into the diff. Other wise I fell inline with your build.

Dont get me wrong, still not finished. Needs paint and interior. We have a two year old daughter and made a move out of state right before that. Blah, blah.

Beautiful Z mang. Very nice. Thanks for the info. That was fun.

Solar, wish I had known it was just a 7 / 9 series, as I just bought a stock Z rad a week before your post. Thanks though. Do you know for sure about the outlet locations?

ANOTHER FORD SWAP DOCUMENTED:

http://zhome.com/rnt/FordPower/

Not good if you like pics, but more 5.0 documentation nonetheless. FYI, if you're on the Zhome page and are annoyed that they made it a 'framed' webpage where you are always on the same 'home page' at the top, right click the particular page you're on and choose 'This Frame' --> 'Show only this page'. Now you can post links and save pages as bookmarks from this site and other 'Framed' websites.

Hey there,

Im really interested in doing this swap, but a few things are holding me back. I saw u did it with a 240z, the vehicle that i have is an 82 280zx. It has the t5 in it already, but i may swap it to an AODe and a ratchet shift. What all diferences are there between the 2 vehicles. And what other fabrication will i have to do to ensure making everything fit.

Any other help will be appreciated, and as soon as i get enough money to start the build ill get some pictures going.

Thank you!