HybridZ

Tape for wrapping wire harnesses?

speeder

I use small black zip ties. Also found this stuff on MCmaster Car that was about 12 bucks for a roll. It streches and sticks to inself pretty well. Looks like thick electrical tape.

If you find anything better, I would like to know also.

While not a wire wrap I bought the flex braid stuff from Jegs. Looks like the same stuff we use on our radar wire bundles.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_759804_-1_10409

I think Cozy Z Cole once recommended this stuff from Eastwood. Might want to double check with him.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1368&itemType=PRODUCT

This place has the good type of flexible ribbed conduit. The nylon stuff doesn't get brittle with age and crack like the cheap plastic stuff does. They have a lot of other good stuff, plus some very good tech articles.

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog.shtml

There is a 3M product that has no adhesive on it, just like the OEM wiring harnesses, and is intended for wrapping harnesses. I don't have the number handy, but it is FAR better to wrap your harness with this than with Electical Tape like Super 33+ because you don't get all the goop and adhesive all over the wires. You have to know the 'special knot' to wrapping the ends with it, or adhesive shrinkwrap the ends to secure the tape from unravelling. But for harnesses that look OEM, and will last as long without shrinking like E-Tape does, that 3-M Harness Wrap is dashizz...

I was wrong, it is Plymouth Rubber Company #734 harness Wrapping Tape.

This is OEM specification tape on many new vehicles, self extingusihing, and can come pre-scored so you can breakout wires without having to use a knife. Comes in many colors as well!

Here is some of their Propaganda:

DESCRIPTION :

Plymouth #734 Colored Harness Wrap Tape is a soft PVC tape with pressure sensitive adhesive.

#734 is designed for fast, efficient production taping. Controlled unwind eliminates scrap and improves productivity. Harnesses taped with #734 remain very flexible, easing installation during final assembly.

Plymouth #734 Colored Harness Wrap Tape meets and exceeds the requirements of Delphi Packard Electric Division Specification No. ESM-4037, DIN 40633, JIS 2107, UTMS 16002, Ford Performance Spec. ES-XU5T-1A303-AA (B02) and most European, US and Japanese specifications for color coding tapes.

RECOMMENDED USES:

Use as permanent wrapping on wiring harness passenger vehicles, trucks, construction and agricultural equipment, aircraft, aerospace and electronic assemblies. Preferred when requirements include a need for numerous colors plus long term reliability under varying and extreme environmental conditions.

STANDARD SIZES:

Widths

10mm*, 15mm, 19mm, 25mm and 32mm Available Length - 20m and Core Size - 38mm

*The 10mm width is available with side notching for hanking and similar applications requiring secure attachment and fast, easy removal.

*****************************************************************************************

Tyko Polyken 007 is another tape for harnesses, but better for behind the dash and places where it's hidden, or where cloth style harness tapes were originally used. It has a slightly more 'cloth' look to it compared to the Plymouth stuff.

EASTWOOD P/N 25000 is also a good wiring harness wrap as it's non-adhesive as well. Some stuff can be 5 mil, and really abrasion resistant...nice out in the engine bay.

Tony,

Thank you sir. I knew someone would have already done the seaching to save my lazy butt the trouble.

I have a good source for the heat tolerant corrugated sheath locally - a wonderful aerospace surplus store where I also buy wire and stuff. The tape is my missing component for professional looking harnesses.

This is OEM specification tape on many new vehicles, self extingusihing, and can come pre-scored so you can breakout wires without having to use a knife. Comes in many colors as well!

Here is some of their Propaganda:

DESCRIPTION :

Plymouth #734 Colored Harness Wrap Tape is a soft PVC tape with pressure sensitive adhesive.

#734 is designed for fast, efficient production taping. Controlled unwind eliminates scrap and improves productivity. Harnesses taped with #734 remain very flexible, easing installation during final assembly.

Plymouth #734 Colored Harness Wrap Tape meets and exceeds the requirements of Delphi Packard Electric Division Specification No. ESM-4037, DIN 40633, JIS 2107, UTMS 16002, Ford Performance Spec. ES-XU5T-1A303-AA (B02) and most European, US and Japanese specifications for color coding tapes.

RECOMMENDED USES:

Use as permanent wrapping on wiring harness passenger vehicles, trucks, construction and agricultural equipment, aircraft, aerospace and electronic assemblies. Preferred when requirements include a need for numerous colors plus long term reliability under varying and extreme environmental conditions.

STANDARD SIZES:

Widths

10mm*, 15mm, 19mm, 25mm and 32mm Available Length - 20m and Core Size - 38mm

*The 10mm width is available with side notching for hanking and similar applications requiring secure attachment and fast, easy removal.

*****************************************************************************************

Tyko Polyken 007 is another tape for harnesses, but better for behind the dash and places where it's hidden, or where cloth style harness tapes were originally used. It has a slightly more 'cloth' look to it compared to the Plymouth stuff.

EASTWOOD P/N 25000 is also a good wiring harness wrap as it's non-adhesive as well. Some stuff can be 5 mil, and really abrasion resistant...nice out in the engine bay.

So you mean the stuff Deja and I linked to...

Thats the stuff I linked in post #4.

Actually NO!

I didn't follow the links till after I posted. None of the links had the component name in there. Matter of fact, neither of the links had anything in them about Tyco Polyken or Plymouth Rubber. Only Eastwood. I saw the link to Eastwood, got up out of the chair, went to the shed, pulled out the 'tape box' and wrote down the three or four tapes I had in there, because I thought I had used Eastwood stuff as well. My thought was the 3M I first mentioned, but had confused Super 33+ which I find unacceptable, with the Plymouth Rubber stuff which doesn't have the same adhesive type as Super 33+. When Siper 33+ gets under oil, gas, tranny fluid, antifreeze, it comes apart into a gooey mess. It may be fine for something under the dash or any harness you never want to take apart again, but it tends to shrink more than most of the true harness tapes, and gets brittle on the exposed ends in my experience. I only use Super 33+ for internal splices that have been soldered. Over that I will use the Tyco Polyken or Plymouth Rubber products. So no, it's not 'the same stuff you posted about', actually. It was two other distinct products that are OEM specified and available to the general public without going through Eastwood.

If you are only putting the corrugated sheath on, you may want to consider using Shrink Tubing to seal the ends as well. That works nicely if you get the good stuff with adhesive inside. But for some type of OEM looking corrugated-to-loom connection the other stuff will work well.

I was going off what I knew worked, and the links didn't have what I found in the tape box, other than Eastwood...at least not in what I could read on the link casually browsing.

I did have a fifth tape stub, but it was marked something like "T#50" and it's probably similar to the manufacturer Deja posted about, but since I couldn't track back the technical specification for the product I didn't include it.

The primary reason for mentioning the Plymouth Rubber Product was they have MANY different colors, and EVERYBODY sells BLACK harness tape. Plymouth Rubber gives you something to color coordinate with the color of your engine bay, or color code different parts of a harness as to function. Having tape that is 32mm wide (over an inch!) makes wrapping harnesses that are long MUCH faster than the run of the mill 'black tape on a roll'...Another advantage of Plymouth Rubber.

But I suppose if you simply want a black tape to put over the harness, any of the previously linked items may be applicable. If black is your thing...

Do I need to apologize for in the last line confirming that Eastwood is non-adhesive and thick so it makes it suitable for engine bays (where I used it on the BLACK car I have... want to guess what harness wrap is on the RED 260 ZT I did?)

Looking REALLLY REALLY CLOSE at the PHOTO on the link Deja posted in #4, I see that the core of the tape indeed says "Plymouth Rubber Company" but the link does not specifically mention "#734"...it mentions a number of "E-132", and "53-82 Wire Harness Tape", so it is not readily apparent anywhere even at close looking that it indeed is #734. Plymouth Rubber makes a SCAD of tapes, and I have no way of knowing with the link provided that it is 734.

Everybody feel better now?

Sheez, you'ld think I took someone's birthday away by posting specific information. Sooor-ee!

Oh, for general applications Super 33+ is all I use. I just don't like the way the petroeum-based adhesive on it lets it unuravel when it gets submerged. Spray carburettor cleaner on the Super 33+ and you will see the adhesive starts losening. If you wrapped tightly and elongated the tape according to 3M's instructions, you will see it recede.

It won't unravel once it gets hard, as long as it doesn't get wetted with the above mentioned solvents/oils. It does come in many colors as well.

That is why the rubber-based adhesive on the Tyko Polyken and Plymouth Rubber tapes is preferred by me.

3M Super 33+ has kept me from many a scar on the fingers...blood does NOT weaken it's adhesive, and it is suitable for reattaching, or otherwise securing errant bodily parts that have become partially severed in the line of work... Duct Tape (Nashua) also works well.

On Tape Snobbery, I really am particular about my Duct Tape as well! LOL

I made aircraft wiring harnesses while in the USAF, and then worked for a while in the Auto Industry and appreciate the pains the OEM's went through to devise what coverings they did. If you ever have to remove a harness cover, you appreciate tape without adhesive, or with one that does not permeat down through a bundle making all the internal wires goopy and sticky.

• 1 month later...

I went through this here resently and went even cheaper. I used the flex plastic conduit coverings. I like that stuff, but heat considerations have to be examined.

I went to the junk yard for the clamps to secure the ends of the conduit. I go ends, tee's, and feed through plastic clamps. I think I spent about 25.00 to do the complete harness, terminating all of the ends, clamps for the center sections, and the tee's. All it took was a good paint brush to clean off the parts. I think the harness turned out good, and it is clean.

So there is an alternative to spending allot of money on harnessing components.

I did not wrap my conduit and probably do not intend to in the future. The wrapping makes it a PITA if you want to quickly and easily access the wires. I simply snip the small zip ties and pull out the segment of harness I need to access.

I need to find a "local" source, if at all possible, for the high heat/heat tolerant corrugated tubing though. I am running some Summit product and the tubing over my intake manifold has slight melt marks.