HybridZ

Fender Vents

Challenger

Well It looks like having vents in the fenders can prove beneficial in extracting air from the engine bay. Ive been looking at various different OEM vents cars have that may work for this. In particular the 280zx hood vents. Im going to try to get one to see how it looks. Im sure there are other vents available off stock cars, maybe we can make a list of posible options. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Also you wold obviously need to make hole for the air to have access to the inner fender. (looking for pictures)

a5ed_1.JPG

This would be used on the left side with the larger end facing the front.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Japanese were doing that decades ago, it was a popular "Rice" addition to have the big vents on the back end of the fenders...

You knew the big dogs when they actually had vents that were connected to the engine bay! Some of the Twin Turbo Cars had electric fans under there to pull air through the engine bay...carburetted blowthrough setups don't like all that heat under the hood!

Fender vents should be functional without a duct to the engine compartment. They'll vent pressure from inside the fender well. The vent would be better placed directly above the tire, but the way the Z fender is shaped they should still be functional where you have them.

My take: vent the fenderwells out the fenders, vent the engine compartment out the hood. Limit the air going into the engine compartment, limit the air going under the car.

Well what my plans were is to block off the radiator opening, and then do the same thing Bjhines did. With the front blocked off will there be enough pressure in the engine bay to vent out the fenders?

Or would it be best to mount vents on the top of the fenders similar to the Dodge Daytonas?

The problem Im seeing is the inner fender plastic liners. Would you cut those?

I've got welded in vents on mine...

Heater core went out and haven't replaced it, so I coudn't be really accurate, but they don't seem to help much at all compared to my other one without them.

They're about 2.5 inches high and 2 inches deep, 2 of them right behind the front wheels. I want them gone.

Has anybody noticed that front fender vents are coming back as a styling trend in new cars? Several of the new high performace cars coming from Japan are sporting vertical slits that tend to follow the shape of the back side of the wheel arch. I wonder how many of these are funtional?

Is anyone using the inner fender guards? The plastic pieces inside the fender?

The 240's didn't have them. They're a 280 thing, a good thing.

I made mine out of some very thin aluminum. If you have fiberglass fenders you need the guards/fenderliners to protect from rock damage.

Forgive a possibly noobish question, but what do you use to punch those holes? A hole saw? Seems they are recessed a little on one side.

Dragonfly, your side vents look great!

- Greg -

Thanks. I personaly used a 1" hole saw but what I wanted to use and would recomend is a hole punch (I think thats what it is called). A hole punch uses two pieces and a bolt, you drill a small hole that the bolt can fit through then you put the die piece on one side and the punch piece on the other side of the panel, put the bolt through the two pieces (and the hole you drilled for it in the panel) then tighten the bolt, it pulls the punch piece through the sheet metal and into the die piece cutting a perfect hole. The flaring of the hole is done in a similar process as above but the pieces create a flare rather than a hole, the flare increases the strength of the metal at the point were the hole is so that you have not degraded the strength of the part/panel.

I should have probably mentioned that my vents orriginated on an 81 Camaro.

Dragonfly