HybridZ

Just bought and LQ4 for swap!

Well.. put a deposit on one, but im picking it up next monday..

Anything I should look for/do while it out and on the engine stand?

I might be taking the heads off and putting different head gaskets in the bump the compression up a tad bit. ARP studs be a good envestment or a waste of money.

Only thing that is happening before install is LS6 or better intake manifold, JTR headers, wait4meperformance.com tune with LS1 computer and 8 wire standalone all mated up to a T56.

Just looking for something that would be a worthwhile thing to do while the engine is out.

Don't mess with compression. Camshaft and springs. GMPP or aftermarket. Even an LS1 camshaft with springs will be an improvement. My cam guru, using Desktop Dyno, predicts that a 1998 LS1 cam is worth 30+ HP over the stock cam in a 2002 5.3 LM7.

Well.. put a deposit on one, but im picking it up next monday..

Anything I should look for/do while it out and on the engine stand?

I might be taking the heads off and putting different head gaskets in the bump the compression up a tad bit. ARP studs be a good envestment or a waste of money.

Only thing that is happening before install is LS6 or better intake manifold, JTR headers, wait4meperformance.com tune with LS1 computer and 8 wire standalone all mated up to a T56.

Just looking for something that would be a worthwhile thing to do while the engine is out.

1977 280Z no PS or AC.

It was pretty rough when I got it but ive been bustin arse on it. It has all new metal in alot of places, worked it down to ZERO rust. Finally got it painted, but in the pic below I havent got the air dam painted yet.

Warning: This is my sig pic on the other forum.. so beware.. lol

834y911.jpg

if you are interested in getting some more power out of your 5.3 get the whole ls6 setup which includes the cam intake and springs and all this could be had for about 450 and also go to ls1tech.com and learn as much as you can about these engines because the possibilities of the 5.3 are endless and just to give you and example a buddy of mine has an 03 with the 5.3 with an ls6 intake headers 28lb injectors and a built tranny and he is running in the 11s so i know that the motor has a lot of potential and if you really want a serious tune just pm me and i will introduce you to the guy that will be tuning my car and i promise you that you will not be dissappointed

good lord.. never ever do rockers. huge waste of money.. leave the stock cam in there untill you can get a real cam. and by real i mean real huge.

when you get the motor to put it in there change the rod bolts to Katech rod bolts. and put the F body pan on there (you will have to anyways, its $200 or so from gmpartsdirect) you will also have to do a new alt setup.. and from what ive heard you are going to have to put an LS1 crankshaft pully and water pump on it to clear the LS1/6/2 manifolds.. because the throttle body sits so much lower and the radiator hose comming into the top of the truck pump gets in the way.. i know you will have to put the pump on there for sure, but "they" say that the pullys stick out diffrently so you will have to change the crank pully too...

when you get the harness done you are going to have to make sure and tell them its for that LQ4.. and not for an LS1.. because the injectors are diffrent.. i could keep going on about what you should do but ill stop. just do rod bolts. thats it for now.

Isn't the LQ4 a 6.0L and not 5.3L?

The car craft article Dat260 linked got me interested in 6.0L truck motors for Z's. Seems like THE budget way to big HP for a Z.

There are two other members actively installing truck motors in Z's.

Here is one of them

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124821

The other guy is doing a turbo'd 5.3. He switched to an LS intake.

Few things I have learned from all my reading

LS1 240Z is right, leave the rockers alone and get a real cam. Get new pushrods and valve springs while you are at it. Big HP. See Car Craft.

Forget an LS1 oil pan unless you can get one used. Get the LS2 pan. It gives an inch more ground clearance and has better baffling. The part numbers have been posted on this site, so do a search.

The accesories are different between the truck and F body and even Corvette motors. Most articles swap all the stuff ala LS1 240Z's suggestion. But the guy on here doing the turbo 5.3 managed to heat up and turn the water pump outlet to clear the intake manifold. Look up his thread and see how he got the LS intake to work with truck accesories.

And don't worry about forgetting to do something to the motor while it is out. You have plenty of opportunities. It will be in and out at least a dozen times before it comes to it's final resting place.

• 1 year later...

This is all great information for me. Means i have to do way more work with all the pulleys and things but its a good thing to know now. I have a 73 240z and a 6.0 lq4. Im trying to look at it as a fun easy project, haha we'll see how quickly that changes!

Thanks for all the info