HybridZ

SC300 Suspension???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

2 words that throw a big monkey wrench into this...

Track width!

Flares are one option. Narrowing the cross-member and rack to keep the wheels under the stock fenders is also an option, though the A-arm pickup points would end up at least partially, if not fully through the fenders into the engine bay and might encroach on engine ancillaries, intake/exhaust, etc. If the narrowed cross member option is used, the geometry should be plotted to get an idea of what ill-effects will be gained by narrowing the track of that suspension to that degree, (roll center and instant centers changes, etc).

Double A-arms on the front of the S-30 Z with performance being the primary design goal has been looked into. One of the big hurdles on the S-30 is its quite narrow track, space available for the engine, its ancillaries and intake/exhaust, (depending on which power plant is to be utilized), then to get control arms with any sort of realistic length in the leftover space and a steering rack with its inner tie rods narrow enough for proper geometry, i.e. keep bump steer in check.

This thread touches on A-arms in an S-30..

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126992

I have been looking into this option also but have never got a measurement on how wide the rails are on the sc300. Very interested in what you find out. I would like a wider track for the front and as for fenders I'm using the yz kit so this shouldn't be a problem. Someone that doesn't use a wider body kit may get away with just using higher offset wheels. Most of todays sports cars are using wide track widths and high offset wheels. Now I'm no suspension guru by no means. but I like this idea because the whole suspension mounts to the subframe and if you don't go cutting it up you should keep the same suspension geometry.

2 words that throw a big monkey wrench into this...

Track width!

Flares are one option. Narrowing the cross-member and rack to keep the wheels under the stock fenders is also an option, though the A-arm pickup points would end up at least partially, if not fully through the fenders into the engine bay and might encroach on engine ancillaries, intake/exhaust, etc. If the narrowed cross member option is used, the geometry should be plotted to get an idea of what ill-effects will be gained by narrowing the track of that suspension to that degree, (roll center and instant centers changes, etc).

Double A-arms on the front of the S-30 Z with performance being the primary design goal has been looked into. One of the big hurdles on the S-30 is its quite narrow track, space available for the engine, its ancillaries and intake/exhaust, (depending on which power plant is to be utilized), then to get control arms with any sort of realistic length in the leftover space and a steering rack with its inner tie rods narrow enough for proper geometry, i.e. keep bump steer in check.

This thread touches on A-arms in an S-30..

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126992

ok, well, with this being said how much if any would a welded crossmember weaken its strength?

• Administrators
Correct me if I am wrong, but Braap is saying our 240z's have much less distance from frame rail to outer fender lip than an SC300.

Thats not how I take what he wrote.

Thus the wheel would be positioned way far out of the fender compared to stock?

From the pictures, it looks that way.

I don't see how narrowing the subframe would have an effect on the geometry of the suspension. You could run a wheel with much higher offset with this setup to help pull the wheel further in. It is really a matter of finding a donor car and doing it. I'm not sure it would be completely straight forward, but I would imagine its doable.

Justin

• Administrators
I don't see how narrowing the subframe would have an effect on the geometry of the suspension.

It has everything to do with the geometry, particularly roll centers and RC migration. Do some googling... its out there.

I'm thinking that Braaps concern was not limited to strength, but geometry.

sorry, maybe i shouldnt have been way more specific. i asked this because cutting and welding the crossmember and using the z steering assembly could be an option if a way to change the location of the engine mounts was possible. thus strength would be in question.

I was at Andy's (2fiddyZ) yesterday and he has a gutted SC300. He said they use the same crossmember/suspension as the SC400 ad MK4 Supras. He also makes big brake kits (Wilwood) for them.

SC300 inside

sc300inside295xk3.jpg

S30 inside

s30inside25jd5.jpg

SC300 outside

sc300outside34vw3.jpg

S30 outside

s30outside3125qx8.jpg

SC300 strut to strut

sc300strutvl2.jpg

S30 strut to strut

s30strutnx4.jpg