HybridZ

Progress: 454 twin-turbo

Some pics of progress on the hot rod. Still got some clearance challenges t work out, but no worries...it will work. You can see where I had to clearance the strut towers and driver-side valve cover. Wouldn't have had to do the valve cover if they weren't tall to clear the stud girdle. You will also note the passenger turbo is higher than the driver side. No had to use a spacer as there was no other way to get enough clearance on that side to clear with the motor offset 1" toward the passenger side.

Banks designed the system to work without an intercooler, but I'm running more compession than he, so I wanted the safety net. Besides, who knows where this will lead? :o) More to follow as I get more done. Not a huge amount of room for the down-pipes, but will have to have patience and work them down through.

Wayne

P1020245_thumb.JPG

P1020246_thumb.JPG

P1020247_thumb.JPG

P1020248_thumb.JPG

P1020249_thumb.JPG

P1020250_thumb.JPG

P1020251_thumb.JPG

Stony...just adding the twin turbo system and everything that goes with it to what was already there. Had to re-jig the computer, change the MAF from on top of the throttle body to in-line and calibrate for the larger injectors, add boost indexed fuel regulator and stuff it in the Z-car...what fun we have!! :o)

Deja...sure appreciate the vote of confidence...you know I HAVE to make this work or you folks will never let me live it down!!!!

Wayne

Guest Twistit

Holy crap! I thought my plans for a 408cid gen1 SBC single turbo was pushing it!

What type of timing retard will you be using with this? will it all be computer controlled, or indexed with manifold pressure?

Thanks for the kudo's, guys...will be running MSD timing retard indexed from the boost in the hat. The EMS itself is based off a Ford Mustang EEC IV computer and sensors.

Trust me, that 408 turbo will be plenty bad!

Actually, buZy, I have to 'fess up...I crunched the front end putting it on a trailer for the last SEZ and cut the bottom off. I still have to re-install another air dam to keep at least some of the air from underneath the car as well as create a low pressure area under the front end to aid in getting air through the intercooler and especially the radiator now that the intercooler is blocking some air.

Wayne

That's an impressive looking setup, that's for sure. I think you should use 2 polished stainless 90's for downpipes, then turn them upward thru the hood. It would sound like a F16 spooling up!

What kind of hp/tq numbers are your goal? 800? 1000? 1200?

John

Didn't have much time to work today, however, did get some mock-up completed. I hate to pick up air inside the engine compartment, but ran out of room for the 4 inch ducting to the turbo inlets. Compesated a little by cutting out the outside of the radiator braces on each side to flow more cool air into the compartment...best I could figure.

Wayne

P1020252_thumb.JPG

P1020253_thumb.JPG

P1020254_thumb.JPG

Wow! Everybody's enthusiasm is awesome and somewhat unexpected...I really appreciate and intend to update as it is useful.

Yes, I will do a startup video.

Hahns, If you can picture how the block hugger headers go down through at the apex of the collector on a NA setup, that will be my through-point to hooking up to my current 3" exhaust as I must come to the outside of the turbo headers. I will need to come back from the turbine at a slight compound angle toward the outside of the car for about 2 inches, then down from that point with a bit of an inside curve to mate up with current connections. Again, that goes into 3" pipes which go into 3" Dynomax straight-through mufflers.

Wayne