HybridZ

Non- welding Coilovers?

i did research this for the last 1/2 hour and it seems like all the coilovers you have to cut and weld. i want to know this......

besides the cutting and welding for the camber plates, are there any coilovers that bolt right in with no camber plates. eventually camber plates can obviously. but if there is who makes them.

thanks

There are camber plates that don't require any cutting or welding:

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/EMIPlates.html

To keep from having to weld the threaded collar perch on the strut tube for your coilover installation, you can take some 2" ID aluminum tubing and cut it to the proper length so that the tube rests on the hub casting at the bottom of the strut.

thanks

after looking at the pix again I realize why AZ Zcar and GC don't sell a plug n play, b/c then they would have to make and sell the coilovers with the spindle on the bottom and that would cost us much more. I am way too used to my S13.

To keep from having to weld the threaded collar perch on the strut tube for your coilover installation, you can take some 2" ID aluminum tubing and cut it to the proper length so that the tube rests on the hub casting at the bottom of the strut.

I guess that only works with the early strut tubes, not the larger 280z tubes.

I guess that only works with the early strut tubes, not the larger 280z tubes.

Geez! C'mon guys! This isn't rocket science. Find some round aluminum tube that has about a 2.175" ID to fit over the 280Z struts. Maybe a 2.5" OD tube that has a .157 wall thickness?

lol.. some japanese companies do.. i have tein coil overs on an s30 once but i think it may have had some others cars suspension grafted in (s13 maybe), and of course spirit garage sells a complete bolt in set but it comes with the spindle and all like AZ's complete set up.. my question would be the same as john's... whats so hard about either using your own or just having some welding shop weld the collars.. its not that hard and would save you a crap load of money.

lol.. some japanese companies do.. i have tein coil overs on an s30 once but i think it may have had some others cars suspension grafted in (s13 maybe), and of course spirit garage sells a complete bolt in set but it comes with the spindle and all like AZ's complete set up.. my question would be the same as john's... whats so hard about either using your own or just having some welding shop weld the collars.. its not that hard and would save you a crap load of money.

ya i didnt think about why they had to be welded. i thought they were being cheap or something, but when i looked at the pix again i saw that the spindle is connected. i am now researching which companmy i want to go with. I think i like the AZ Zcar product better.

nah... people have been doing coil overs like that for a LONG time. its not that much stress. especially on older japanese cars or cars where they dont make coil over kits.. build your own. hot rodders been doing similiar things.. Qa1s havnt been available forever.. lol. you can find threaded collars lots of places and just buy the right size springs and rates you want. I had the modern-motorsports set up before and loved it.. and you cant go wrong with stuff from beta.

Maybe I got lucky. I used some collars from BetaMotorsports and EMI camber plates to put my datsun back together for the new owner...I'm using full length struts, as the sectioned ones on the previous setup were a little short with 17" rims and big tires. I cut the perches off, and ground down the excess, leaving only the weld there. The weld acts as the stop for the collar, and its plenty secure. I just slid the collars on, with a little tape wrapped around the strut to take up the 1mm of space between the strut and collar, and they work fine. No welding required.