HybridZ

Turbo Intake Plenum

MONZTER

I personally think Machinists are normally spot on about the timing. They just never tell you when they are going to start. If they say "It'll be done in two weeks, it means "I'll do a day now, a day next week and the remaining 12 days in two months time." However it was still done in two weeks. ;)

Machinist's time decoder:

Double the numeric part and go to the next higher unit.

For example,

Machinist's estimate.................Human time

1 hour.........................................2 days

1 day..........................................2 weeks

1 week........................................2 months

1 month.......................................2 years

Tim, I think your spot on. Funny thing is the guy does great work. Did a beutiful job on my NA motor. So I will leave it with him.

I know if I call him every week it will get done. Its when you dont call it sits. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

You got to wonder how this happens.

I mean, having production jobs to do that pay big money is one thing.

But if you're scheduled into the production slot, the time frame shouldn't be that difficult to pin down.

Sometimes (especially with dedicated engine shops) I got to wonder how they set priorities. A lot of times the places I see with a tag and tracking system are the places that get me the parts on time and don't make excuses.

The guys that take in the parts and set it on a shelf and write a tag and stick the tag in a box...or on the desk...or under the part...

Those places seem to sit on things for months at a time. ADDHD. Whomever comes in when they are setting up machines and says 'I need this today' or 'I need this quick' gets the stuff put on the machine and away they go.

I hope those guys are paying out the butt and the machinist is raking in premium charges to make it worthwhile to keep shelving my project...

That's what I usually tell them when I show up and ask for the delayed discount for being so understanding. I got six flywheels lightened for about $10 each after letting them sit for six months someplace and then just showing up. "You said they would be done five and a half months ago! I figured I wasn't in a hurry, but DAMN dude! I didn't need them in a hurry THEN... BUT I DO NOW!"

Done the next day at 7AM. But damn!

Anybody want to buy a Bridgeport and go into business? LOL

Probably, but I know where I can get a Bridgeport locally.

I don't want to go back to Alabama if I don't have to!

When the Transporter from Star Trek comes into being, I can zap equipment from here to there, and this whole conversation will become anachronistic!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, thank you.

I'll be emulating your build a little down the road (with less of a budget however). I've already got a P90, triple carb intake, etc... Just looking for a general idea of clearances before purchasing a shell, measuring thrice over, then ordering ITB's of my own.

Very impressive work you've done so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So a little back on topic...

I have been using my new CFD software called Star CCM+. It is a really high end code, used in everything from military to F-1 - super powerful.

So along with my intake; I have been working for a while now on redesigning my combustion chambers and ports in a P-90 head. The idea is to take all the new ideas being used today to increase the performance and detonation resistance in my motor (if I ever get it back from the machine shop)

Basic idea is to maximize quench, swirl, and burn area.

1.) the new shape has 2 quench pads, one in the standard location, and a new one behind the spark plug where I think there is some dead area.

2.) shape the combustion chamber to produce more swirl and force the mixture towards the exhaust valve side of the chamber, where I have angled and relocated the spark plug.

3.) add streamliners to the intake and exhaust ports to again aid in swirl for the intake, and more laminar flow for the exhaust.

Below is the cad model of the head and ports.

complete_head_1.jpg

complete_head_2.jpg

Next is the head welded up and on the CNC getting the shape roughed out.

10-22-06_007.JPG

10-22-06_017.JPG

Picture_0383.JPG

Picture_0392.JPG

Picture_0512.JPG

Picture_0435.JPG

It will go back in the machine when the seat, and guides are installed for a final clean pass.

This is the CFD model of the complete system, plenum, runners, ports, valves, combustion chamber, cylinders.

mesh.jpg

mesh3.jpg

mesh2.jpg

134.jpg

The model is actually the air space or fluid region of the flow. You have to use your imagination a bit.

This link is a avi of the flow

another link from the other side

and one last link of the flow vectors in the chamber

as you can see the flow is swirling quite nice and focusing directly under the exhaust valve where the plug now sits.

Someday I actually have to stop playing, and get this all finished to see if it will run :)

enjoy

Jeff

I saved alot of those pictures on my hard drive and have been looking at them wondering where the head went, but wasn't going to say anything. Awesome to see the computer modeling you've done, as usual.

Your head looks rather alot like one posted elsewhere; tomorrow when I have a moment I will search for the thread and show you the pictures I mean. I like the look of the chambers you mocked up, and have for some time now. Can't wait to see it all added together. Some Sum!!

EDIT

One BIG issue I see in that last video though.. only half of the chambers are swirling in a "z" shape. The other half are swirling in an "S" shape. It isn't an S, its a Z. if you don't have them all balanced, this motor is sure to eat muffler bearings for lunch. :)

WOW, Jeff that software looks good, can you tell me if it uses movable mesh?

tbs

Hi TBS,

Yes, it does have the ability for a movable mesh, I could also apply a velocity to a specific boundry. I am currently working on a time table to phase the cam opening and closing. This software can even do combustion, but thats waaaay advanced

I'm thinking I might get that because it looks easier to use then fluent.

tbs

I have never used Fluent, but this is defiantly not pick it up on your own software like Floworks. I had a 1 week in house training (40 hrs) and still I am just scratching the surface of what it can do. It is defiantly geared towards full time, degreed in fluid dynamics, operators. You really have to know the physics. Good thing is the customer support is phenomenal. We are assigned a full time, always the same person Support Engineer who is really good and helps answer any question. He even helped set up our first case. CD Adapco

www.cd-adapco.com

Good company to work with.