HybridZ

This L28 Z is a serious sleeper...

jgkurz

To those that think 24 psi or 28 on a stock block (pistons) is alot, it's not. Cylinder pressure is your only limit (detonation). As long as it doesn't knock it will last. You can control timing and octane. Anyone on here could do the same and run the same trap speeds he did. He is running a big turbo which most on here won't (fear of lag) and big boost which most are afraid to do because they were told it's dangerous. Do that and just add fuel. I wouldn't run 550's with a stock ecu but that might of been all that was left in his budget.

Me, Myself, and I are saying 20+psi on stock bottom-end, stock head, stock manifolds is alot. This was what I was running, big-phil, and what this guy supposedly runs. No matter what kindof tuning if you don't flow air efficently there is a boost you can run.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When mine blew at 20 psi I had a 1976 l28 out of a junk yard that I got for $100 N/A, dished pistons, P90 head. My timing was 12 BTDC, holset turbo, 93 octane, 20 psi 440cc injectors, MSnS...ping-ping good night Johnny, its over. My C/R may have been higher?? My true turbo motor I have now I can run 17 psi at 20 BTDC with the same turbo (have not pushed it any higher)

I agree though it seems as though around 18-20 psi I would get some pinging. I just got my 550cc injectors in the mail today so I WILL be pushing this motor to my 21psi map sensor limit. Maybe with the Meth it wont detonate??

and just for the hell of it, maybe because I used to stunt bikes, and have blown the motor in my 2001 gsxr1000, and 2001 cbr929. I want to get the 4 bar map sensor and run 25-30 psi????? I gots lots of Meth to inject!

I'm just tired of Hondas and Neon's making 600+ RWHP and I'm stuck at 350ish to 400 RWHP being the "WOW, better not go any higher" mark.

Like Clifton says forged pistons don't get you more HP, they just save your ass more from detonation. I'm going to keep pushing this motor, and maybe I'll be happy at 26-28psi...no ping, just power?

When mine blew at 20 psi I had a 1976 l28 out of a junk yard that I got for $100 N/A, dished pistons, P90 head. My timing was 12 BTDC, holset turbo, 93 octane, 20 psi 440cc injectors, MSnS...ping-ping good night Johnny, its over. My C/R may have been higher?? My true turbo motor I have now I can run 17 psi at 20 BTDC with the same turbo (have not pushed it any higher)

You had knock with 20 psi and 12* total or at idle?

i know this guy.....

i think he said he was running...

1. 76 ecu/harness

2. 79 distributor

3. upgrade fuel system

4. ported N42 intake

5. one of his turbo headers w/ xternal WG

6. T64 turbo( run was at 18psi, no NOS)

7. 45lb injectors w/ 2 additional inj. on a hobb switch

8. custom fuelrail (his)

9. FMIC w/ 3" plumbing

10. turbo AFM

11. welded rearend

12. stock turbo bottomend

13. port/polish N42 head (DIY)

14. trick done to stock cam (DIY)

15. 70mm throttle body

18. 3" exhaust

i believe this was his set up for that run.....

i know this guy.....

i think he said he was running...

1. 76 ecu/harness

2. 79 distributor

3. upgrade fuel system

4. fully ported N42 intake

5. one of his turbo headers w/ xternal WG

6. T64 turbo( run was at 18psi, no NOS)

7. 45lb injectors w/ 2 additional inj. on a hobb switch

8. custom fuelrail (his)

9. FMIC w/ 3" plumbing

10. turbo AFM

11. welded rearend

12. stock turbo bottomend

13. port/polish N42 head (DIY)

14. trick done to stock cam (DIY)

15. 70mm throttle body

18. 3" exhaust

i believe this was his set up for that run.....

at least... that's what he said.

trick done to stock cam? wtf is that.. regrind?

and what is he doing to adjust the timing with that motor?!

no....not regrind...trick is what he said.

and timing......all he said was it has to be perfect with the amount of fuel to avoid detnation..

i solely don't know how he does it, but he can do it.

I think this car is an awesome sleeper. I don't think anyone here would predict that this car could click off a 10. If the '76 ecu can drive eight 45lb. injectors at 80% duty cycle like the l28et, it can flow enough fuel. The internal cross section of the l28et afm is small, but it is still larger than the t3 turbine inlet. Did anyone notice that it is installed after the intercooler?This car reminds me of the movies "Breaking Away" or "Cool Runnings".

no....not regrind...trick is what he said.

and timing......all he said was it has to be perfect with the amount of fuel to avoid detnation..

i solely don't know how he does it, but he can do it.

hmmmm. im wondering if he did something like cross drilled the lobes to remove weight or something =/

not sure if that would help at all, or be strong enough with the stiffer valve springs he probably has, but who knows.

Then what's the nitrous bottle, solenoids, and foggers for? Looks I guess...

The video says it normally run's low 10's so maybe for that or faster. I'm not saying I know or believe that he's running NOS one way or the other, but I and other's in this post believe it can be done w/o NOS. Regardless, few people have posted 10's with their Z's, NOS or not.