HybridZ

Lets see your tailights!

m1ghtymaxXx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I personally LOVE the idea of the "early Z-31" tail lights on the S130. I really like the look of the later S130 tails with the filler piece in the center, but not so much without. The earlier S130 lights look better than later ones.. but if you ask me, the two best tail light clusters on ANY Z-car ever, were the Z-31 mark-1 style, and the Euro spec 240 setup with the amber turn signal and clear backup light integrated with the lens.

300ZX:

differences.lights.tail.84-86.na.jpg

Euro 240:

240Zeurob.jpg

The 86 300ZX that my dad drove was the only ZX I ever saw that looked like my dad when it was driving around in front of me. I can only attribute this to the tail lights. There are slight differences, but not many. Maybe for an S130, lose that center red piece, and find some plain looking license plate marker lamp to install above the tag, maybe even one from an S30.

As for this:

i like my 82zx tail lights. what i want to know is what models had the center amber/red light bar? and did those cars have different bumpers with recesses for the license plate? i have some ideas...

I think it was previously mentioned that those center pieces are aftermarket. And that also means you'd have to jury rig a new license plate mounting directly to whatever rear bumper you have.

I almost choked. I hope we can be FAR beyond any historical differences at this point, but I was always under the impression that the phrase "jury rig" came from "jerry rig" and that "jerry" was a derogatory slur against the Nazis.. and you used the term speaking to a German. I found this irony delicious, and had to point it out.

I am sure no ill will was behind the statement; I hope no offense was to be taken from either the original statement or my explanation of it. Like I said, I was just :lmao:

As for this:

I almost choked. I hope we can be FAR beyond any historical differences at this point, but I was always under the impression that the phrase "jury rig" came from "jerry rig" and that "jerry" was a derogatory slur against the Nazis.. and you used the term speaking to a German. I found this irony delicious, and had to point it out.

I am sure no ill will was behind the statement; I hope no offense was to be taken from either the original statement or my explanation of it. Like I said, I was just :lmao:

Uh, what the heck are you talking about? That term has absolutely nothing to do with slurs against Germans, and I'll thank you not to go changing my words to make them into slurs. Whoever told you "jury rig" came from "jerry rig" is just straight-up wrong. "Jury rig" was in use for over 300 years before the Nazis came along. It was a nautical term for an improvised replacement mast/sail setup (mast/sail setup = "rigging").

Uh, what the heck are you talking about? That term has absolutely nothing to do with slurs against Germans, and I'll thank you not to go changing my words to make them into slurs. Whoever told you "jury rig" came from "jerry rig" is just straight-up wrong. "Jury rig" was in use for over 300 years before the Nazis came along. It was a nautical term for an improvised replacement mast/sail setup (mast/sail setup = "rigging").

I've heard it attributed to both "origins" and have considered the two terms interchangeable; the overall purpose was to point out a funny accident of language and NOT to draw out any sort of slanderous intent.

I am something of a student of the English Language, and love playing with its loopholes and oddities; one of which is the duality of the phrase used. I thought it was kinda funny; I wanted to point that out to anyone else who might appreciate such. My apologies if I was misunderstood.

No, he meant Z32.

Dan was talking about the pic a few posts up about the S30 with Z32 lights.

Then someone said "because they're from a Z32.

Then I laughed, because here's dan's car

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=13628&si=dan%20juday

Make sense to everyone now?

BTW.... I think dan's car is the nices HZ car I've seen in person...

....shhhh, don't tell cozyzcole...

I met dan a few years back and saw his car. He did a much nicer job on his z32 taillight swap than I did. This was my first attempt at a body mod. so I ended up building a lexan cover that covered my sloppy work, oh well, in the end I really like the way it turned out. I learned a lot and my skills improved greatly before the car was finished. I'm still jealous.

Nice work Dan