HybridZ

weight difference of rb25det with tranny vs sr20det/tranny

ktown z

• Administrators

The subject of engine weights is a touchy subject for some members, myself included. Just as an example, you can scour the internet and find where people are claiming that the SR20DET weighs anywhere from 200-500 lbs, the RB has been quoted between 200-500 lbs. (those numbers are purely arbitrary only to the make point). This holds true for ALL power plants. There really is no definitive standard for how these weight quotes are established and what is or is not included in those quotes, which makes it really tough to find some definitive weight figures. So when you read all these weight quotes on the internet, you have to ask yourself, who do you believe? What ancillaries were installed for that weight quote, etc? A weight figure with NO qualification as to the source of that figure and NO information such as did the engine have oil and residual coolant in the passages when it was weighed, did that included alternator, P/S pump, A/C compressor, intake and/or exhaust manifolds, was it weighed on 1970’s bathroom scales, etc, in my opinion, is totally useless information…

I started a “Definitive engine weight” thread here on HybridZ in hopes it would help answer question such as yours. There are a few power plants listed in that thread, but not the ones you are asking about, yet, sorry.

The HybridZ definitive engine weight thread

I have shipped two RB20det engines complete with tranny and harness. If I remember correctly I was charged based on a weight of around 600 pounds each. Now, I will admit that to this day I am sceptical of this. I was not impressed with the shipping company as they called me after they picked them up to say I was over the quoted weight and that it would cost more than agreed upon. I always felt it was a bit to "bait and switch" looking. Now, the weight could very well be accurate as well. There is a lot of engine there. I only mention this as it still crosses my mind. Seeing as the engine is more or less the same as an RB25, the only real difference would be the tranny at around another 50 pounds or so.

Brian

Well going on what Braaap said, doing such comparisons would only make sense if the same scale was used to weight the engines in question :/

I wanna know too, because if it's a good chunk of weight, im going to stick with my previous idea of using the RB20 bellhousing and KA24 trasmissions for easy replacement of the gear casing.

My rb25det with all accesories a/c, p/s, alternator, maf, air filter, wiring harness, ecu, remote oil filter and oil cooler, rb25det tranny, nismo clutch, nismo pressure plate, slave cylinder, shifter, r33 crossmember, steering rack, pallet and two floormats weighed 750lbs. The engine did not have oil, however the tranny was full of gear lube.

pic.

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

My rb25det with all accesories a/c, p/s, alternator, maf, air filter, wiring harness, ecu, remote oil filter and oil cooler, rb25det tranny, nismo clutch, nismo pressure plate, slave cylinder, shifter, r33 crossmember, steering rack, pallet and two floormats weighed 750lbs. The engine did not have oil, however the tranny was full of gear lube.

How did you weigh it?

Wow, that is a larger difference than I thought. I really wonder if the rb25det is worth it or should i just get the sr20det and some more readily available (cheaper) bolt-ons to make up the hp difference. To be honest 250 lbs is a BIG difference especially in a light old school car. Thanks for the post because this is starting to sway me towards the sr a little more.

My weight did not include the cross member, steering rack and mine came on a plastic pallet. Those items prolly can account for 50 lbs +-.

Also add the weight of the gear lube..... I would venture to say that all of the weight added would be closer to 75lbs. I remember shipping the crossemember and it was 34.xx lbs.