HybridZ

Driveshaft

GODCHSR

Here's the setup, (motor/Trans) 2JZGTE/A340E -------> R230 (Differential)

I plan on making 500-600rwhp for a good while.

I want to build the custom driveshaft out of aluminum.

Do you think that 2.375 x .154 is strong enough for aluminum at that power level? Should I be thinking larger diameter pipe? or thicker pipe?

Thanks

Guest TeamNissan

RWT is really what you want to look at, most places that make custom drive shafts will rate up to what power they should be used for. Even if you can do it yourself I wouldn't, thats something to leave for a pro.

You know the only part of the new Ferrari's rotating mass thats steel is the drive shaft :-).

Interesting fact about the Ferrai! I imagine though that it was due to Highway noise, not power. Ferrari is not known at all for torque, so the only logical explanation there, to me, is that the aluminum was too loud in vibration (install a center carrier bearing and that would go away though.)

As for RWT, I agree it is more important in Low RPMs. On the other hand once the tires have established contact and forward motion is taking place I hardly think that 600RWT @ 7K would make a difference. On the other hand if you were making 600RWT @ 4K, like in a Naturally aspirated built Viper. Even in that case they use a very large aluminum one I believe.?.?.?