HybridZ

Bumperless s130

RayG1988

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, when I had my bumper off last time before i started my swap I couldn't help but thing that with some pretty simple body work it'd look pretty sick.

Though I think for aero reasons it's better to keep it or replace it with something similar in shape.

Bet the removal of the front bumper really fubars the aerodynamics of the ZX, which is soo much better than the Z.

Looks good though! Maybe it would be possible to pull the rubber casing off the stock bumper and put some sort of bumper cover on it . . .

Bet the removal of the front bumper really fubars the aerodynamics of the ZX, which is soo much better than the Z.

Looks good though! Maybe it would be possible to pull the rubber casing off the stock bumper and put some sort of bumper cover on it . . .

LOL! are u serious? My 76 hit 145 noproblem and my zx hit on avg 130ish but it had no problems goin faster its just so SLOW....

Are you serious? There's lots of concrete information about the aero on the Z and most knowledge shows that the ZX already has many things done to it from factory that make very significant changes to improve the aero, and the bumper is a big part of it.

Even the SCCA and IMSA drivers who made the switch talked about how the main different between the platforms was how much better the ZX cut through the air.

If your 76 and ZX had such dramatic differences in top speed odds are the answer is in the guages being inaccruate, or the ZX being heavier and having less power, taking significantly longer to reach top speeds and less agressive at 100+mph.

your forgetting about the change in smog laws and the increase in smog equipment that chokes the ZX down, remove the EGR and gut the cat, she'll wake up on the top end.

with smog delete+headers+cam+straight pipe I ran pace with a vette on an open stretch... according to his digital speedo we where up to 172 when I finally topped out.... took awile to get there mind you... probably 2-3 miles...but we toped 130 still in 4th gear. not sure if the 2" drop on the car would HELP aero but the drag machine ZXR wing probably hurt the top end... but she sure was stable.

I have no doubt in my mind that with headlight covers and uped compression and more fuel she COULD see 200mph on a wide open run

your forgetting about the change in smog laws and the increase in smog equipment that chokes the ZX down, remove the EGR and gut the cat, she'll wake up on the top end.

with smog delete+headers+cam+straight pipe I ran pace with a vette on an open stretch... according to his digital speedo we where up to 172 when I finally topped out.... took awile to get there mind you... probably 2-3 miles...but we toped 130 still in 4th gear. not sure if the 2" drop on the car would HELP aero but the drag machine ZXR wing probably hurt the top end... but she sure was stable.

I have no doubt in my mind that with headlight covers and uped compression and more fuel she COULD see 200mph on a wide open run

wait wait, I dont mean to be a skeptic but your 280zx with a performance cam, headers, with no smog equipment got up to 172??

the only other thing I did to it was wired the cold start injector to fire with the rest of them to act as a TBI to correct the fuel starvation due to the oversized cam (still isn't really getting enough but its WAY better). next step will either be DSM injectors or tripple webbers.

if he lied to me about our speed, then I don't know about it. I do know for a fact that my 130 speedo started bouncing off the stop peg before I was out of 4th gear. and by the time I was up to 4500rpm in 5th the stripes on the road where going by REAL fast.

Are you serious? There's lots of concrete information about the aero on the Z and most knowledge shows that the ZX already has many things done to it from factory that make very significant changes to improve the aero, and the bumper is a big part of it.

Even the SCCA and IMSA drivers who made the switch talked about how the main different between the platforms was how much better the ZX cut through the air.

If your 76 and ZX had such dramatic differences in top speed odds are the answer is in the guages being inaccruate, or the ZX being heavier and having less power, taking significantly longer to reach top speeds and less agressive at 100+mph.

Now that i think about it... my zx was stock and it had like 189xxx miles on it and was off a tooth lol and my z is modded with carbs 6-1 and lightend... and diled in... my zx felt like it was struggling to get to speed as for the z it made it up to speed no problems.... so yea i can see what your sayin... maybe if the zx had more done to it, it would have been faster if not more... tehn my z

the only other thing I did to it was wired the cold start injector to fire with the rest of them to act as a TBI to correct the fuel starvation due to the oversized cam (still isn't really getting enough but its WAY better). next step will either be DSM injectors or tripple webbers.

if he lied to me about our speed, then I don't know about it. I do know for a fact that my 130 speedo started bouncing off the stop peg before I was out of 4th gear. and by the time I was up to 4500rpm in 5th the stripes on the road where going by REAL fast.

Not sure what ratios you have, but my 2+2 with 3.90s hit about 180km/hr at 4500rpm in 5th.

Well, the 79' 280ZX 5 speed 2 seater cars had 3.364 diffs. He'd have a lot more headroom for top speed.

If I can get the datsun transmission calculator to work I'll figure out what speeds he was going at 4500RPM, but java has issues going through our servers here at work. I'll see what I can do though.

Ok, here we go.

Test 1:

3.364 rear

79' 5 speed

OEM 195/70/14 Tire

=

114MPH at 5209RPM in 4th gear

114MPH at 4500RPM in 5th gear

Test 2

3.364 rear

81-83 5 speed

OEM 195/70/14 Tire

=

132 at 6031RPM in 4th gear

132 at 4493RPM in 5th gear

In some other threads here there's been talk about how optimistic most stop speedos are, and how there's all sorts of people that say that they did X top speed when in reality they most likely did 80-90% of that tops.

I've been to 4500RPM in my 81ZX and it didn't feel like the verified via GPS 140 I've done in other cars. The car did float quite a bit though, which kept me from pressing in harder. I have no doubt that those cars have the ability to hit at least 5500rpm in 5th even in stock form, which would put you around 140mph.