HybridZ

Bumperless s130

RayG1988

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want concrete information about top speed runs talk to tony D, he knows his stuff.

You MUST realise that top speed isn't as much about power and weight as it is aerodynamics. More power can push more air, which will increase the top speed on a given body. Weght will change how fast you get there, but doesn't have a dramatic effect on actual top speed. This is why super heavy exotics still reach 200+ mph, they're just not nearly as quick at getting there as lighter supercars.

Main factor is aero, and I have a hard time believing the 280ZX in stock form could ever hit 150, and even in a HEAVILY modified arena hit 200mph. I'd say with some well engineered body modifications you should be able to reach 160 or so. But that's just speculation.

Also, what body style was the vette? I've raced some vettes in the past that don't go very high on the speedo. There's a good chance he was guessing, and then inflating the speed as well.

I won't say BS, because you're just reporting what he said. I do believe it's a bit optimistic of you, that's all.

As in the 280zx body couldn't go that fast? or a stock na???

I can max 5th gear out quick as ♥♥♥♥.

Stock 83 turbo rear diff. and trans. Yes 6500 in 5th.

So I was wondering???? How fast is it????

lol

Guest TeamNissan
I have a friend that wants to sell me some wantanabe wheels, im really thinking harder about it now, after seeing that. would it be a crime to paint them?

With their inflated cost you should be able to do whatever you like to them in my opinion.

As in the 280zx body couldn't go that fast? or a stock na???

I can max 5th gear out quick as ♥♥♥♥.

Stock 83 turbo rear diff. and trans. Yes 6500 in 5th.

So I was wondering???? How fast is it????

lol

That RPM in a 280ZX with a turbo tranny + diff would be around 170mph IF the tire size was stock (195/70/14)

But I'd have to see it to believe it. If you look into the top speeds of other cars from the same era you'll realise that few cars were rated at the levels you're talking about. And if you reSEARCH top speed threads on this site you'll see that the S30 body has a HARD time reaching respectable top speeds (by todays standards). The S130 chassis is better, but not THAT much better than a S30. It still has some major flaws and will most likely be a VERY high drag body.

I'd like to know more about this car that reaches 6500 rpm in top gear so easily too. I've been in modern cars all the way from 10-14 second cars in high speed environments and it takes SERIOUS power, regardless of aero design, to get a car to push hard past 100mph.

If you want to see a good example of why aero is so important, look up that recent video of a stupid kid doing 219 in a lambo. That car has GREAT aerodynamics and once it reaches 170 it hits a brick wall and SLOWLY gets up to it's top speed. That's an exotic. We're talking about the ZX, which in my experience hits a wall around 120mph and slow climbs past that.

Well thats what I was wondering.. And the tires were 205 65 15's (swastika).

I also never said the car was stock. I was asking if you were saying that the cars aero was what was restricting the top speed. It just sounded like you were saying that it wouldn't go over x mph.

This car has gobs more power and I guess I see your point because I had a 84 camaro that I dropped a stock 350 into it. With a th400 and a final drive of 3.73 with 225 60 16 I pegged that right out... litterally. 3rd gear (3 speed auto) pulled 7000 rpms do the math.... approx 170. But that car had almost no power comparitively speaking. as to where the 280 has gobs and 0-100 would make the camaro look dumb it wasn't as fast after that. (probably still quicker than the camaro was but...) any way... I don't even know whta just reminded me of the camaro... Also yes the camaro engine was a stock 350 minus a upgraded ignition (coil and module) and a edelbrock rpm performer. and that car swallowed a pushrod and lifter that day... don't know why????

lol

But anyway I just now relized yes aero has a major role in tops... I guess I had to relate it to real life to realize it...

feed me more knowledge...lol

so till next time

here ya go fellas... i read a lot of hotrod mag and remember this article. http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/113_0501_bonneville_national/index.html

imo camaros have very similar aero as a zx, and if this car doesnt tell you that... delete the zx bumper and you kinda have the shape of the hotrod f-bomb. what made these cars go 200+mph with what we dont have; power and gearing for it.

Generally looks follow performance around here, not the other way round.

If my car went 0-60 under 5 seconds, handled like a bee, and got 30mpg I wouldn't care what it looked like. Most people on this board have that kinda mindset about Z cars. Sure they CAN look really nice, but that's not particularly why they're bought, it's an upside.

Well, I have finaly seen the "bumperless 280zx" in the first post... not a personal, but as I always say to all his own..... But I think now after seeing it done, with the right sculpting, I think you could clean the front up, between a little metal and a little glass you could get a large "flowing"(clean looking flow that is) without alot of work... But it depends where and what direction your going to spend most of your time... High speeds, close it up, low speed, keep it open, low speed high rpm drifting, open it up as far as possible....

Boy.... Hmmmm do I want a quicker, or a drifter......

Well, I finally have a contribution to this thread. I'm stripping my '83 down to get ready for paint, and after I removed the front bumper I said what the hell and threw the air dam on there.

frontsmall.jpg

As you can see it's urethane and has a nice bow in it. I'll work with it later. You can't see it is bad from up higher, though.

highfrontsmall.jpg

Finally, a side shot:

sidesmall.jpg

I will be installing hp struts and springs, so the car will sit lower (it kills me every time I see it like that). Although I most likely won't be keeping it bumperless, I think it looks pretty aggressive from the front - especially after I install the smoked headlight covers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kind of on the same topic...I saw a blue 260Z yesterday that I learned had been abandoned on the side of the road for about 9 months - window was open, and it began to pour...really sad.

But...I really like the thinner style front bumper - had the small "towel rack" style chrome bar above it. Do you guys know if the 240 and 260 bumper hardware is "bolt on" for the S130s - or do they require mods?

I haven't taken my bumper off - I'm just planning long term cosmetic mods here :)

Thanks!