HybridZ

"Battery Desulfation" Snake oil or what?

Dave

Was doing some digging on causes of battery failure and what actually happens to the battery when its gone bad. I found a bunch of information about battery desulfation and how this can save a battery.

These guys http://www.batterylifesaver.com sell a device that connects to the battery and runs with out a external power source. It appears to have a capacitor and other circuitry that once the capacitor is charged up it spikes the battery with a pulse that over time disolves the sulfation or will prevent it from forming on a new battery.

I also found these guys http://www.wizbangplus.com that have one that is $35 shipped to your door and a few bucks less on eBay.

This device can in its self can draw a battery down over time so the car has to be driven or have a float charger connected if it sets for a extended period of time.

Any opinions?

Seems like a neato piece of idea, I'd personally spend the money on other stuff, but sounds like it might work. I've sort of viewed batteries as a consumable, something to be replaced every x.

The one thing I am thinking is I have gone to a bunch of trouble to remove spikes and ripples from my electrical system and this just puts them back. It would be easy to connect this to a relay that will disconnect it when the ignition is on. If it will double the battery life as it says, it will pay for itself there.

• 1 month later...

After not getting any real definitive yes or no answers to these devices I bought one and connected it the the wife's S10 JIMMY that was having a battery near death experience with a 4 year old battery. After just over a month in use I have found it appears to have brought the battery back.

At first it was powered all the time but the desulfator charges up and spikes the battery making radio noise when the JIMMI is running. I wired it with a relay that opens up when the ignition is on so the desulfator is off when the JIMMI is running. The desulfator draws only a few milliamps and can run for months without drawing down the battery.

Before I installed the desulfator the battery was at 12.83 volts and a 15 second 100 amp load test dropped the battery voltage below 9.4 volts. After a month in use the battery is at 12.89 volts but it only drops to 9.9 volts with a 15 second load test. Both tests were done in the morning after the JIMMI had been sitting all night. The big difference I noticed is in the mornings when its cold the JIMMI cranks a lot faster.

I bought the one from this place http://wizbangplus.com/ and will get another one for my Z.

In my forklift battery I tried the desulfication juice and it seemed to help a little bit. The battery is junk and was when I bought the forklift 5 years ago for $1,000. I'm looking at $1,500 for a new battery so anything I can do to eek out a few more months is nice.

The one thing I am thinking is I have gone to a bunch of trouble to remove spikes and ripples from my electrical system and this just puts them back. It would be easy to connect this to a relay that will disconnect it when the ignition is on. If it will double the battery life as it says, it will pay for itself there.

For that reason alone I wouldn't use it. Even with the vehicle off, or quite probably especially with the vehicle off spikes in teh electrical system can still cause problems with electronics. Just about all electronics that have any type of control or memory side to them, will be connected to the battery, even with the ignition off.

Your follow up just solidifies my reasons for not trying something like this.

the only way I would use something like this is with a battery not connected to any vehicle, but then again, using a battery charger on a standing battery seems to have similar results. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Go to an interstate battery shop and buy a new battery and cables. Snake oil is snake oil no matter what. Once a battery sulfates it is on the way out. You may get some extra life with the gizmo but hey $35 to fix a piece of junk and a new battery costs $70 what did you gain but a headache down the road. Yeah if it works to keep a $1500 forklift battery working might be economic sense but for a car battery???? Want to be at an interstate rest area at 0200 with a dead battery - I don't.