HybridZ

s130 any real mods ?

frank280zx

how is it possible that the s130 seems such a ghetto mobile where most people use em as either driveline donor or are ubercheap bastards bragging about how the modded this and that building huge ricewings etc?

I mean in europe you can see anywhere from 5 to 9 k in euros for even 2+2 turbos ( they only came that way like z32's and z31 for that matter)

I tend to have a serious approach to my s130 as does 260det.. and some others like warren etc.... are there more people? on this forum lurking that did some real mods or built or own 280zx racers?

any cars with real suspension mods and more than just an k&N upgrade?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im trying to build one at the moment. Its used for autox, i have done suspension, your normal bolt-ons, and a little internal head work and crank balance. Im building an f54/p91 combo for all motor. and ive done some wieght reductions and went and wieghed the car and it was 2594lbs. And the interior isnt stripped to hell. its the pic in my avatar. ill try and post a larger one.

carfinaticsphotoshoot.jpg

carshow.jpg

Where can I get one of those huge rice wings? My car is stock, but I'd sure like to modify it a bit.

haha barnardd .. ill buy you one at next msa ;) i mean i know your car is stock .. damn you should have bought the wings at the dyno place we where at with jeff's mongoose!

im trying to build one at the moment. Its used for autox, i have done suspension, your normal bolt-ons, and a little internal head work and crank balance. Im building an f54/p91 combo for all motor. and ive done some wieght reductions and went and wieghed the car and it was 2594lbs. And the interior isnt stripped to hell. its the pic in my avatar. ill try and post a larger one.

carfinaticsphotoshoot.jpg

carshow.jpg

I like your car allot .. why do you go p90 .. i would up the comp a bit with a diffrent head.. it definatly makes the car wake up.. Next to that John at Beta motorsports sells CF and GF hoods .. that will save some more weight!

I want to build a p90, because i dont want to have to do all the work on th e31 i have. my buddy works in a machine shop, and hes going to do all my work for free, plus the p90 is the best flowing head. im just going to shave it down and build it, and then fit it to my f54 1mm overbore block. ya im going to do a lieghtert hood in the future. i got some supra wheels, bored the hubs out, and painted the spokes graphite, and left the rim polished. i dont have any pics of them yet thgouh.

I want to build a p90, because i dont want to have to do all the work on th e31 i have. my buddy works in a machine shop, and hes going to do all my work for free, plus the p90 is the best flowing head. im just going to shave it down and build it, and then fit it to my f54 1mm overbore block. ya im going to do a lieghtert hood in the future. i got some supra wheels, bored the hubs out, and painted the spokes graphite, and left the rim polished. i dont have any pics of them yet thgouh.

i dont completly agree on that ..

Why not use an e88 it gives more compression and isnt allot worse than a p90 in flow.

After some prepping it will be as good.

My experiance is that a cam and compression in cobination with a lighter flywheel really makes your car drivable fast car.

What comp ratio are you looking at, id say it is safe to go close to 11:1 on a street car.

But there are probably more people that can pitch in!

Frank - I guess you are forgetting about me, JeffP, Afshin and (I forget his username in Texas) that all have really fast, ultra clean and highly modified 280ZX Turbos.

My car was featured in Nissan Sport when it was putting down just over 250whp, front and real coilovers, all urethane suspension, big sway bars , Corbeau seats etc etc.

My new L30ET turbo will be making close to double that...I have alot of interesting threads on my build here on Hybridz.

As a contradiction my S30 is my around town, rough looking, beat-up car.

Yasin

i dont completly agree on that ..

Why not use an e88 it gives more compression and isnt allot worse than a p90 in flow.

After some prepping it will be as good.

My experiance is that a cam and compression in cobination with a lighter flywheel really makes your car drivable fast car.

What comp ratio are you looking at, id say it is safe to go close to 11:1 on a street car.

But there are probably more people that can pitch in!

I dont want to go through the hassle of putting larger valves in and new valve seats. Ive been reading that the p90 heads had the best quench for flattop pistons, and that they had the largest vlaves and steel seats. im not sure at the moment what head im goign to build right now, as far as heads go. im trying to get more ideas, im going to be runnig fuel injection still. right now ive got the n42/n47 combo, i have a january 79 s130. the block is from an 83. its an f54. i own 3 heads, p79, e31, n47. im about 600 feet above sea level, im in north georgia. my goal is to have a streetable engine that will run 93 octane at 600 fett above sea level. Any more suggestions?

I have a 1983 280zx I like to consider highly modified.. I put a turbo on and got a huge wing with 20's....

No not really.

But I do have a 280zx I like to consider highly modified.

Lets see

ported polished p90 head

1mm overbored block

balanced roting assembly

high volume "high" pressure oil pump

arp head studs

Schnieder stage 2 turbo race only cams

matching springs

ss undercut stemed valves

modified turbo manifold for 38mm wastegate, and my turbo

turbonetics full size 60-1

24x12x3 fmic

440cc injectors

full poly bushing kit

kybgr2

turbo f+r sway bars and springs

ac delete, electric fan conversion, anything unneeded removed

300zx seats

70 hp nitrous (obviously wet)

walboro 255 lph pump

act 4 puck unsprung hub clutch

fidanza aluminum flywheel

msd blaster 2 coil, accel superstock wires, iridium plugs(2 levels cooler)

apexi super avcr

lexan rear glass(huge weight differnce)(soon to include sides)

aluminum radiator

hid headlights (even there lighter)

drilled slotted rotors

ss brake lines

3" turbo back exhaust

the list goes on and on and on......

About to start the bodywork

Including rear quarter work, Custom tail lights (want recessed led's but not sure yet) front end... I currently have a half front bumper on there, when I was in my whole look at my intercooler deal more air = better... No bad idea its time for aero to play its role, a fiberglass dash for astetics, and weight reduction(every ounce counts)

also looking to do a 5 lug conversion, direct port my nitrous (have everything but the jets), liquid intercooler in place of my fm, meth injection (just need to install peiced together sort of deal also going to be a direct port....) And thinking I'm going to do a sequential turbo.... All before next summer

Well anyway....... Is this the sort of deal your looking for..... also I think I'm going to get some lightweight seats too...... anyway

till next time

you know I take my 280ZX seriously. its getting my frankenstein motor transplant and some real coilovers. Infact, my head is at the machine shop and should be done by the end of the month. Also, my car is a 2+2 to boot. I like my ZX more than my S30 cars, for some strange reasons.

Ive never used a ZX as a drivetrain donor except for one that was extremely rusty. we are talking holes in the floors big enough to shove cats through and frame rails so rotten they crumple when you put a concrete block underneath them to hold the car in the air.

I love my DD and although it's still mostly stock it'll be much more when I get it back on the road. N42 head on flat tops with MS-II and I'll be throwing a regrind in there now that my valves are right with a 2mm HG. Suspension is still in good shape, but I'll be eventually pushing the budget a bit to throw in some HPs and Eibach springs. I'm not over comfortable with going coilover yet as the cost is way to prohibitive for me. I'd love to if I could, but not at the moment. I don't even mind doing the weld in kits if I could find them with steel collars instead of the damned aluminum.

I've got a pallnet fuel rail, cold air, tokico HP springs and struts and poly bushings with a autopower roll bar going in soon. Also where do you guys get these coilovers from, I know modern motor sports has real coilovers but what about the front. also stainless steel hydraulic lines

Frank, I wish I could say that I have some "real mods" but alas...most of my stuff is "bolt-on" with almost no adjustability.

Pallnet fuel rail and Aeromotive AFPR, etc. - doesn't make it go any faster

Tokico Advanced handling kit - lower and stiffer, but no adjustablility like coilovers

Cold air K&N intake - maybe adds 1-2 HP

Susp Tech sway bars - bolt on and without adjustable end-links they are almost too stiff

etc. etc. etc.

The only thing I really have going for me is the custom IC setup and adjustable boost control.

Maybe in a couple years I can almost hang with the "big dawgs" :redface:

I'm in progress on building my ZXR, currenltly building a high compression (estimated 11.5:1) tracking down a tri-webber manifold, sorcing '88turbo LSD conversion and T-5 trans (or figuring out what needs to be done for a T65 to work)

planned coil overs w/camber plates

OR even possibly a full custom indy car style multi-rod A-arm style suspension (all 4 corners)

unfortunatly I'm on a roller coaster budget and never know when I'm gonna have a good paycheck to do anything with... not to mention trying to get my DD International Scout back on the road so I can stop hitchiking (parts are hard to find and not cheap)

I'm too dirt poor to have a highly modified ZX, let alone S30. But if they ever lift the smog restrictions on these cars I'm going all out baby.

In fact one day I might own a non-op race only ZX. I really do think they're that good of a platform that doesn't get enough credit. Though if I was looking to budget race I guess I should just get a factory five. Cheaper in the long run, and able to be registered as a presmog car.

2+2s rock man!

There is nothing like walking a C6 and having 4 people waving "good bye" .

:rockon:

A word of advise when it comes to mods on the S130s, Fabrication.

You wont find much that just bolts on that will make any substantial gains in performance, with out some work.

Thats the fun part.

Frank's IMSA kit S130 is the one I'm looking forward to seeing, should be magic.

Mine is booked to go on the dyno in early January so the pics on my website will be updated soon after fixing up a few problems, like the 17" wheels hitting the big kick arse Stoptech front brake setup.

If I was modding a S130 again the motor would definately be changed but using a RB30/25DET bastard motor and the RB30ET manual gearbox, instead of the VG30DET and DETT box. But the stock suspension would basically be retained, perhaps modded similar to Frank's. A full suspension swap is just too time consuming and expensive, I'm not game to admit how much my full custom suspension cost.

I'm trying to modify mine to be the car I imagined when I first saw one. It'll be mostly show with purty looks, but a mild 350 should give it the noise too. I'd be really interested in any crazy suspension or front-end mods, especially anything that will let me use easier to find parts :)

car.jpg