HybridZ

s130 any real mods ?

frank280zx

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a pallnet fuel rail, cold air, tokico HP springs and struts and poly bushings with a autopower roll bar going in soon. Also where do you guys get these coilovers from, I know modern motor sports has real coilovers but what about the front. also stainless steel hydraulic lines

You make em yourself.. like said elswhere in this topic .. fabrication is your friend .. im still not 100% with my set up but it is an test set up as is with room for improvement over the coming years..

an yes sory 80lt1 i know you are out there and jeff.. MAck naturally i know you are out there!! so will you be at MSA 08 ? i can bring a dash for you in 09 BTW

dont forget about meh!! im working on a ka24det with my s130 with upgraded suspension and semi/interior. i couldnt sell or get rid of my car for the life of me, not even for a s30.....lol. the 280zx is just tooo sexy imo... hint the name "marlene" for mine. and marlene is in for a treat when i get back from iraq

It's got such a badass motor, and it really was (imo, der) one of the nicest sports cars of the 80s, the only ones I like from that era are datsun and porsche (delorean?), I bought mine because of how tremendously badass they look, and it had a turbo and t tops to start with.

I fell in love all over again with the s30, though, so now I'm banging my first car's older sister, I'm sure she's upset about it.

yeah, I forgot to mention my current mods.

MS&S_E running fuel and spark

Maxima N47 head on flat top F54 block, slight port & polish, 260Z cam

1980 non EGR manifold port matched

60MM TB

custom 2.5" cat back mandrel bent exhaust

'87 clsd in a 90 M30 pumpkin with 3.9 gears

240sx 5spd trans

130mph speedo (not really a mod, but looks cool!)

as far as coilovers, the rears for a 240SX are bolt on as long as you re-drill the top mount for 3 bolts instead of 2. Fronts will be tricky. basically, what I will be doing is modifying a 280ZX lower control arm to put 240SX spindles on it, then I can use the SX front coilovers as well. Problem is, they are 4" shorter than ZX units, so Ill have to make a 4" extender for it up top. then I can also retain the camber plates. With the 240SX front hubs, I can use 300ZXTT rotors redrilled for 4 lug and 300ZXTT 4 piston aluminum calipers.

For the rear suspension, I will be removing the rear crossmember and slotting the trailing arm bolts to allow for toe and camber adjustment. then I will be using infiniti M30 rear arms and CV axels. The M30 rear arms because they already have the bigger bolt holes to use 300ZX eccentrics. The infiniti also has much larger rear brakes.

fabrication and slight modification of other nissan parts. Ive learned all of this knowledge from a few years of kicking around u pull it type of junk yards and just looking and measuring ♥♥♥♥. plus, Ive owned 240SXs, 200SX's and a lot of other nissan cars that share similar parts and set-ups.

How do you think I had the epiphany about the KA heads an L-seris block?

I haven't got any decent pics of my car, but its constantly a work in progress. Its a '78 Fairlady 280Z.

I want to keep the body reasonably stock, except for the front kit. The rear wiper & washer have been removed, other mods are:

'83 front crossmember & rack and pinion power steering

'83 rear crossmember & CV half shafts, brakes, R31 Skyline R200 LSD

R31 Skyline front struts, Z31 5 stud hubs, R32 Skyline 4 piston calipers

New KYB front inserts, new KYB rear shocks w/lowered springs all round

17x8 & 17x9" wheels, 235/45/17 front & 255/40/17 rear Toyo Proxes

Motor has been bored 3.5mm over

LD28 crank, Z24 pistons, L20ET rods, N42 block & head

2mm metal head gasket

Head has been port matched, cam has been ground, VG30ET valve springs

Stock turbo exhaust manifold, HKS T3/T04 adaptor w/built in external wastegate

TA51/T04 hybrid turbo, 0.70 a/r exhaust housing

Pallnet fuel rail, Mitsubishi GSR injectors (370cc)

R32 Skyline RB20DET fuel pressure regulator

Mitsubishi VR4/Evo twin post coils

R30 Skyline L20ET distributor, Z31 VG20ET chopper plate

Link V5 computer

Remote mount oil filter & cooler

450x300x76 intercooler (have a bigger one to go in, 130mm thick!) 2.5" intercooler piping

95 amp alternator, off a Maxima or something

HKS blow off valve

Exhaust is currently 2.5" but I'll be getting a 3" mandrel bent one made after Christmas.

R31 RB30 flywheel & heavy duty clutch

R32 GTSt Skyline gearbox (FS5W71C)

Thats about all I can remember at the moment, theres probably other stuff.

Heres a little video for your viewing pleasure, this is before the 5 stud conversion and with my old (tiny) T04B turbo, with this setup it was making 278hp @ the wheels on 12psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGvQHMHrWU

DSC01501.jpg

HA! all my mods look like every other stock part, cept the trans is a little different and the megasquirt looks like a rats nest.

If you dont mind me asking, 260DET, how did you put S14 front spindles on your 280ZX? custom lower control arm? the angle of the ball joing on the S130 and the angle for the ball joint on the S13/14 makes it very difficult to bolt on.

HA! all my mods look like every other stock part, cept the trans is a little different and the megasquirt looks like a rats nest.

If you dont mind me asking, 260DET, how did you put S14 front spindles on your 280ZX? custom lower control arm? the angle of the ball joing on the S130 and the angle for the ball joint on the S13/14 makes it very difficult to bolt on.

Haha show me pictures ;)

BTW 260Det i have 380lb springs i see you have 400s?

Stock and slow my aZZ! LOL :-) Is your car getting close to being back on the road, Yasin?

I'm getting ready to rip my interior out to put a painless harness in! Oh boy what fun! After thats done I'm dropping out the rear subframe to slot it and put cam bolts in so I can get rid of the excessive negative camber in the rear. Once that's done I'm going to be installing a nitrous kit. Those are my projects for the next 4-5 months till the snow melts around here!

http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com/Recent_pics.html

Guy

slownrusty coilover conversion

coils.jpg

Slightly modified crossmember for the KA

redone.jpg

Trial fitting

bay2.jpg

engine42.jpg

fitting after paint

engine25.jpg

mock fitting of almost everything

fullon.jpg

and the updated interior

dash6.jpg

a lot of the stuff ive done will be redone, because i didnt have much in funding at the time (charge piping,interior,suspension, etc.)