engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

fitting after paint

engine2.jpg

mock fitting of almost everything

engine.jpg

and the updated interior

dash.jpg

a lot of the stuff ive done will be redone, because i didnt have much in funding at the time (charge piping,interior,suspension, etc.)

Pics aren't showing

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!! thats a LOT of extra room in that engine bay, roninjiro!!

how far to the drivers side is the KA tilted? I know the L series tilts about 15 degrees to the passengers side, and this will make it a pain in the ass to fit the intake manifold on a KA headed L series.

this is nice to see this many heavily modified 280ZX's. I think in the next few years the ZXs will really come into their own.

first off. Nice work. watch out for detonation on those KA's. a few of my friends are all in the 240sx scene and a few went with a ka then immediately switched to an SR. Just my two scents though.

also with the weight reduction, via iron block to aluminum, what kind of coilovers are you using and where did you get the stuff to make them (i'm assuming they were made by you).

another thing. Those wheels on the last picture are huge. (in Borat voice) I like them.

I couldnt see the pics yesterday when you first posted them, but I could today. very nice work! I was a bitr skeptical at first, putting a 4 cylinder in a Z(X), but it is 2.4L and they do make some decent HP. Im contemplating shoving my engine a little further back and down, since I would have to make custom mounts (and oil pan!) anyways to correct the lean.

oh, and the reason the KAs detonate is because people turbo them and they have like 9.5 or 10:1 compression. not very turbo freindly in stock form, but a lot of people do make about 300rwhp on stock block KAs without popping them.

yeah i knew what the reason was. I was just giving a heads up b/c he is going the turbo route. Yes people do make very good numbers with them but not for long. Even Tony Schultz (professional d1 driver) used to dog the piss out of all 6 or 7 of his KA's and each one of them lasted for about a year and then pop and a year is what i have heard is around average to a long term life.

just my personal experience with the KA and my friends experiences with KA's haven't been great. That's all

HA! all my mods look like every other stock part, cept the trans is a little different and the megasquirt looks like a rats nest.

If you dont mind me asking, 260DET, how did you put S14 front spindles on your 280ZX? custom lower control arm? the angle of the ball joing on the S130 and the angle for the ball joint on the S13/14 makes it very difficult to bolt on.

Full S14 suspension front and back so there is no original 280Zx suspension left at all.

first off. Nice work. watch out for detonation on those KA's. a few of my friends are all in the 240sx scene and a few went with a ka then immediately switched to an SR. Just my two scents though.

also with the weight reduction, via iron block to aluminum, what kind of coilovers are you using and where did you get the stuff to make them (i'm assuming they were made by you).

another thing. Those wheels on the last picture are huge. (in Borat voice) I like them.

the detonation thing really isnt a biggie with me right now, because getting the ka's is like a walk in the park (cheap and easy to find). this is just going to be the starter block for now, because i will be building one up when i come back. i did the ka swap b/c someone already did the sr swap in a zx, and i really dont like the ca. as far as weight reduction, it is the iron block verson so its not to terribly much a weight loss, but having the engine so far back and so low makes it a really good choice imo. the coilovers are QA1 12" 425lb.... and trust me; it is not as stiff as it seems, it perfect for me.

oh yeah the picture of the last zx is of my very first one after i was almost finished with it a long time ago

I couldnt see the pics yesterday when you first posted them, but I could today. very nice work! I was a bitr skeptical at first, putting a 4 cylinder in a Z(X), but it is 2.4L and they do make some decent HP. Im contemplating shoving my engine a little further back and down, since I would have to make custom mounts (and oil pan!) anyways to correct the lean.

oh, and the reason the KAs detonate is because people turbo them and they have like 9.5 or 10:1 compression. not very turbo freindly in stock form, but a lot of people do make about 300rwhp on stock block KAs without popping them.

i did modify the original oil pan to work as a rear pickup, but i felt its a bit risky. so i bought a new pan, and modded the crossmember to accept the front sump.... worked flawlessly. but for your situation, thats a lot of work you got cut out for you though. it should be worth it in the end.

wow, good to see others with really sweet setups. i too believe that the s130 is next in the up and coming catagory. my dd currently has about 10.8:1 cr. which is pretty much as high as i found 94 octane can go with the z motors. well at least running higher than stock timing. i had 11.8:1, but its just too much for street gas. im using the p79 head decked about .080 thou. i also made custom tower shims to get the chain back to the correct height. my biggest project on the list is a custom intake mani. i think i got a pretty good one thought out. im too cheap to purchase the lonewolf one, even tho its a pretty nice bolt on piece. that an i gotta get started on the z31 maf swap.

• 1 month later...

Just a few of my mods:

konig wheels

power slot rotors

autopower 4 point roll bar

Jenvey ITB's

Garrett T3/T4 turbo

Emerald stand alone

Aeromotive fpr

AEM fuel filter

Greddy catch can

a lot of Russell fitting and hoses