HybridZ

BMW inline 6 cylinders.

BRAAP

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noting some of the comments here, I suggest visiting the BMW Roadfly forums. Lots of good ideas there. I'd like to supercharge the m30 in my Z, but no one has a setup yet. The choice of engine depends on the sort of character one wants in the car. I've done the V8 in the Z, actually way back in '73. I like the six, since the Z was designed for that format. I also liked the very strong, determined way the 3.5 pulled my big, overweight 635 around with plenty of gusto, and it simply reminded me of the lightweight Z that I really wanted to be driving, about a ton less than the 635, so I figured it would do for me. I also like the "old school" look of the older BMW engine, plenty of aluminum to polish, and I'm not keen on plastic covers. And...sometimes we just go with what we have. There is also a connection between Datsun and BMW, so I'm doing a little tribute to old Albrecht Goertz, (but I shouldn't mention that on a Z forum).

My little '76 2002 should zip with the m42, and there is a nice Downing Atlanta supercharger kit already set up for that engine. Can't wait.

So, Pick the engine/car combination that drives the way you want it to. It's really cool to build a Z in such a personal way. Have fun. Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fenivision

I might want to add something to the S50B32.

Before I moved to the states I had a '98 Z3 M Coupe with the S50B32 engine in it. (Moved here from Vienna, Austria) The engine is known for big issues with the conrod and crankshaft bearings. My engine blew only 250 miles before my ALREADY scheduled bearing swap. Instead of 1 grand it turned out to be 8.5k. The crankshaft had to be reground, 1 conrod bent, etc.... I was quite pissed as you might imagine.

One more thing you would want to consider for all the "S" series engines is just replacing seals and bearings once you buy it, as these babies are very sensitive to mistreatment.

I loved my M Coupe, but decided not to bring it to the states, because the engine (as far as I know) never went on sale in the states and therefore couldn't be "legally" driven. But you just gotta love that 7,6k redline!

Just my 2 cents....

Oh ... and my technical english isn't that good yet, so don't wonder if some things sound weird ;)

Just in case you're wondering what the S50B32 sounds like:

(And yes ... the engine was warm :D )

Neat Video, but Hell I was doing that in a $350 1985 Mazda RX7 on the Auto-X course yesterday! Hahahahaha! Amazing how easy it is when the Goodyear Wingfoot Tires are are 20 yrs old and HARD are bricks! Nothing like a Beater to go out and have a blast with!

As a side note: The motor smoked so Bad, I got a call from the Houston County Alabama "misquito eradication" department asking where they needed to send the check for my services! :) LMAO! :)

Kevin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Bump. :wink:

There is something about the inline 6 cylinder engine that just feels right in the S-30 Z cars. The sound, feel, give and overall character of the inline 6 just fits so nice. The original L6 is a sweetheart power plant, simple durable and reliable. The more modern twin cam RB’s and JZ typically harder with comparable mods, yet keep the that inline 6 character and feel of the original Z. I am surprised we don’t see more German inline 6 powered Z cars?! MAG58 beats the Merc 6 drum, it is proven performer and plentiful, the BMW engines are also just as capable, and as or more plentiful and just as capable in N/A or boosted trim as the Japanese twin cam inline 6’s. One aspect that in my mind makes them more attractive than say the RB and JZ as a possible swap option is these German engines were not only used in production cars offered here in the states, but they there are LOTS of them! That means maintenance parts are easy to get being available over the parts counter locally, and there is lots aftermarket support as well for the guys wanting go further N/A or boosted.

This well known 1000+HP BMW inline 6 is one example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOOiQrk-ikA

8.83 seconds @ 157.6 MPH!

• Administrators

One aspect that in my mind makes them more attractive than say the RB and JZ as a possible swap option is these German engines were not only used in production cars offered here in the states, but they there are LOTS of them!

Another perk is weight. While I can't provide irrefutable data, it's sure looking like the M50/S52 and it's cousins are lighter than the Japanese equivalents.

P.S. I'm digging the new avatar :2thumbs:

V.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also a big fan of BMW's. I build myself an '84 E28 5 series with a S38B38 from an E34. Put a dogleg close ratio gearbox behind it and a LSD in the rear. The Koni/Apex suspension and Brembo BIG brakes do the rest.

Last year I put a carbon airbox on it and a stainless exhaust and it sounds so aggresive now! Totally love that beast!

We also have a E39 M5 wich we use for drift events and the 400hp V8 is a great engine but not as snappy, angry, and willing to make rpm's as the inline S38.

The V8 Mpower CAN go in higher rpm levels but when you don't, he's allright with that too. The S38 DOES want to make rpm's!!

Coming from a BMW background I'd like to add that the BMW OBD I M50 motors pretty much have a standalone DME/harness. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING except for the VSS is within the engine harness. It would make for a really great swap because there is hardly any nonsense in the M50/S50 harnesses.

You can use these harnesses with the S50 and M52 motors along with the OBDI intake manifold. The only issue you will come to is that the OBDII cars only have one port in the head for a temp sensor. You can use your pigtail from the OBD II harness and solder/crimp them together using some research that Braap has done on the topic.

The BMW V8s are also a great choice but the aftermarket is VERY expensive... as it is for the inliners.

I mean, that doesn't sound too bad to me at the moment. I've completely removed the CIS and am starting work on a standalone before I even get the chance to start the motor! And parts may be pricey but 1500 for a pair of cams doesn't seem too horrible to me at the moment. The only two games for me in town are dbilas and MKB, both of which want more for a single bump stick than crower wants to weld, hardface, and re-grind to any specs for both cams.

I dunno, I'm envious of the aftermarket following that BMW has.

It's funny that we have completely different views of the BMW motor... I feel like it's restrictive in terms of aftermarket, and you feel it's Heaven. I can go to any speed shop and buy parts for the GenIII motor and get it tuned anywhere.

I swapped in an GenIII motor and COULD have it running for the price of a good condition S50 pull out with transmission. ($3000 or more)I'm being way more picky and overthinking the project so obviously that figure is bunk.

Alas.... This is a BMW Love thread... not hate thread.

The S50/S52 is a very stout motor in stock form. When it gets "tuned" or built they tend to have issues.

I LOVE stock BMW motors.

Edited by Pzary3233