HybridZ

Guy allegedly cuts drag coefficient from .34 to .17 in backyard

Found this article on wired.com about the "Aerocivic." According to the article, the guy who built it spent about $400 on materials, but now gets up to 95 MPG.

Some links from the article:

A thread the owner started on ecomodder forum.

Pictures of the car and the building process.

How he measured his coefficient of drag.

A German site showing pre-WWII German aerodynamic experiments (hit the tour button at the bottom to see lots of pictures).

I realize his testing methods aren't the most scientific, and that his photo gallery states 80 MPG and his user on the forum states 64 MPG. Still some interesting reading, and gives a good visualization of aerodynamic mods.

Boy is it ugly, though.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he should make some fiberglass panels and really button up the looks of the car and give it a nice coat of low-resistance paint (lol), so that he can somewhat relieve the atrociousness.

Now if he can take a page from the book of that student who Air Conditioned his car using a home unit to the point where his nipples were hard enough to break into bank vaults, he could have a self-propelled frozen land missile.

WTF?????

If he's seriously so concerned with the price of fuel that he has to do that, then either convert to electric, or buy a friggin pushbike!!!

Just looking at those pics, im sort of wondering if he just built all that stuff permanantly over the original bumper and lights, ect ect, Coz there is a whole lot of weight he could get rid of there.

im thinking this bloke is one of the reasons people think americans can be a bit dumb???:-D:grin::-D

well i wouldn't say he's dumb.

he's just having fun with a project.

I mean, he's probably just testing aero right now and will cut weight off later once it's all good to go. perhpas there are state laws regarding the modification of the car's structure dependant on when it was made, so he can't remove any of the factory stuff right now.

he did say he used that car because that was the car he had.

pretty simple.

Unfortunately in a society like America you get a bad rap because we tend to publicize our own stupidity more than anything. The media markets think it makes better ratings. Americans in general aren't the dumb rednecks other countries think we are, but in the same respect with our abundant population and overzealous mediaphiles we present all our faults and ignorance to the world. Sadly we do have a lot of morons here though...Somehow I end up working with them on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure the person who made it wasn't planning on making it a show car. Seeing that is gets 80-90mpg, he will save around 30-50 bucks a month if he were to drive that as a daily

It's pretty cool. Not the best looking, but who cares. Once I read it was a civic I knew it wasn't going to be.

While I agree that it is quite hideous, I don't see why any of you are questioning the owner's intelligence. He is at the least very knowledgeable on the subject of aerodynamics.

So, he made a '92 Civic Hatchback look uglier - this makes him stupid? I would say that he just created the most functional Honda body kit ever made. Function over form - to me - is what separates the true car enthusiast from the ricer.

And, to lighten the mood of my post - a reminder of how this car could have turned out:

ricer_civic_2.jpg

You know, I must admit I'm pretty disappointed in the negative comments made about what this guy did.

Those of you who commented negatively clearly "don't get it". The owner of that car has a goal in mind... He's not making it look pretty, he's making it functional and doing a hell of a job, I might add.

A lot of people hate the looks of the Zcar with a big wing on it and all closed up in the front... but it works too... :roll:

Mike

I think he should move closer to work.

Don't understand long commutes.

He has some pretty good science in his methods. Can't believe he can actually measure a 2-3 mpg hit from using his lights, and more importantly was able to determine the majority was from the parking lights.

But like one auto designer once said, anyone can make an aerodynamic car. the trick is to make one that looks good.

You know, I must admit I'm pretty disappointed in the negative comments made about what this guy did.

Those of you who commented negatively clearly "don't get it". The owner of that car has a goal in mind... He's not making it look pretty, he's making it functional and doing a hell of a job, I might add.

Mike

Amen!