HybridZ
MJLamberson

Tips for modifying,upgrading,or restoring a Z on a budget.

Here's a huge one for 280z and 280zx owners.

I have not researched this, but it seems like it makes sense.

I got this tidbit from a fellow car guy.

An alternate source for a fuel pump is from EFI'd Volvos.

They also use Bosch L or K-Jetronic fuel injection, so it stands to reason the feed on the injectors would require the same fuel PSI.

The junkyard closest to my house is filled with clunker Volvo's.

sorry this is long and rambles.. this ones theoretical cause i havent gotten this far but im thinking about doing my own dash because i have eletrical problems that seem unending and i personally see it easier to write my own diagrams seperating all the systems out so they no longer entangle other systems when they have problems.. anyhoo my point was that in this process i decided that if the means are there id like to do a homemade metal dash and just do toggle switches for everything... so heres the thrifty/neat part..

for the dash lights, im doing away with the combo switch and just wiring an on off toggle so i thought hey, i could use a volume pot (potentiometer) from a guitar (tone knob should be same) as a dimmer right? might look kinda cool on the metal dash too i think...

btw im trying to build a challenger right now (not like i have money) and i have a complete 71 coronet 4 door driver that i got for 850 with a factory 383. although this is the wrong website for such a car, it kinda follows suit if any of you are also mopar guys. basically the only things i need to buy to make a roller challenger a driver is this $850 four door and a different driveshaft.. and i found discs for $100 but thats kinda optional i guess.. i think even the windshields are the same! oh the power of prayer!

and just as a final note... i think the reason im begining to like zs more than mopars is the community that comes with. see theres tons of datsun guys that are thrifty and make things work just like me and arent afraid to take an already sweet car and make it AWSOME! and challenger guys seem to only restore cars and never drive them to the point where the praised thriftiness of this thread seems rather frowned upon on mopar forums... GO DATSUN!!!

On the pesky, tiny, rubber vaccum lines in the 280Z's, that keep splitting at the ends where they fit onto a Tee or coupler. You keep cutting the split end off and it cracks again next week. Get some silicone RC fuel line, slip it OVER the end of the vacuum line and then get a slightly larger Tee or coupler that fits the silicone fuel line...no more splits!

Edited by cygnusx1

I have a 1986 Nissan pick up. It is a four cylinder with two spark plugs for each cylinder. It has developed an irritating choking down when i press over half throttle. Clears up when I let up on the gas pedal. Thought the problem might be an old fuel filter, but can't locate one in that fuel injection nightmare. I am an old man from the old days of flathead engines and carbuerators. Smog controls and fuel injection set ups just baffle me.

Is it possible, has it been done, to replace the fuel injection set up with an intake manifold that supports two "duces". I could understand this better than what's on the rig now and have a better chance to work on it myself and maintain it. 

DAN 1 "The Old RetroBate".

I'm thinkin giant fiberglass tub with fittings to hook a pump to circulate the sodium bicarbonate/water solution, hooked up directly to a 220v, then another tub right next to that, same size, containing an acid to remove all the black leftover stuff.

I think with the liquid in motion it would take a lot less time. I also know that I will probably never do this, but it's fun to think about.

I know it's a super old post, but for anyone thinking about doing this...

I just wanted to point out this would be a horrible idea unless you first converted your 220v from the socket to DC. If you use AC you're just going to rust it more.

Edited by Midri

Hey guys, new to hybridZ

iv got a 79' 280z.no rust if you can believe that! Well im in the prosses of having a nice l28 build.just waiting for my head to get back from rebello racing. Let me know your thoughts.

82' F54 block

.20 bore

Mild/high cam 280 durr.490 lift

flat top pistons/molly rings

N47 head closed chamber from 810 maxima.

head port, polished,honed, the whole 9 yards lol.

tripple webber conversion with Dyno tune.

Running 10.7:1 CR on 93 pump gas.they also sell AVE 108 Gas here too.

5speed with 200sx 4:11 differential

all new suspention

what may i be looking at for HP? id be happy with 200whp.

Edited by randallwayne221

Hey guys, new to hybridZ

iv got a 79' 280z.no rust if you can believe that! Well im in the prosses of having a nice l28 build.just waiting for my head to get back from rebello racing. Let me know your thoughts.

82' F54 block

.20 bore

Mild/high cam 280 durr.490 lift

flat top pistons/molly rings

N47 head closed chamber from 810 maxima.

head port, polished,honed, the whole 9 yards lol.

tripple webber conversion with Dyno tune.

Running 10.7:1 CR on 93 pump gas.they also sell AVE 108 Gas here too.

5speed with 200sx 4:11 differential

all new suspention

what may i be looking at for HP? id be happy with 200whp.

You're definitely in the wrong thread

Start your own thread.  Pick a forum in which to post your new thread that has a title related to the topic of your thread.  Read some of these threads before going further:

http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/68-new-members-forum/

p.s.  Never use "lol" again.

Edited by NewZed

I have a 4core radiator. Couldnt find fans thin enough. With a little more than 3inches of space from the wp pully I found ford contour dual fans to fit almost perfectly across my radiator. Little mods to fit, pulls more air than what u can find aftermarket.

Cost 43 dollars picknpull

I found that indpection lamps are ridiculously expensive. Call ur local nissan dealer or courtesy nissan in texas, theyre reasonable. I think I paid 79 bucks brand new. They have tons of z parts brand new, theyre the dealership that restored some zs in the early 2000s.

The datsun nissan trucks have the exact same engine lamp as our 240z. I look for them everytime im at the junkyard. At 3.99 a pop ive found 2 in like new condition and 2 in fair. I plan to sell these to other z enthusiasts at a reasonable price.

On older nissan maximas and datsun nissan trucks u will often find rubber coil boots. They are the exact same part u find online for 50 bucks or more for the z. I think mine was free at the local picknpull because I bought a bunch of stuff.

U can find early 80s maximas withvthe l24, most have a 60amp nissan re manufactured alternator. Good upgrade if u wanna go from 45amp to amp and solid state. I think I paid 39 dollars for my like new nissan reman alt.

Of course if u do find a maxima l24, the cylinder head will yield high comp. With the infamous heart shape quence design on the e31 heads. I paid 85 bucks for it, its been rebuilt in the past.

All I can think of for now

Heres a tip if you are trying to remove a crank pulley bolt and the impact is not strong enough. Remove one of the slave cylinder bolts. Go and find the longest bolt with the same thread you can find. screw it in until it bottoms out. the bolt should be holding the flywheel at this time locking the engine in place. This will allow you to grab a breaker bar and break that crank bolt loose.

When installing an engine and transmission PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SLAVE CYLINDER BOLTS YOU USE!!! If you don't it will seem like you have a locked up engine. i found this out the hard way. But at least it gave me the idea of or trick above.