HybridZ

Cost Breakdown on Building TT/Single Turbo Motor

BurnMac42

First off I do not want to take someone else's credit....this is a sticky over at supraforums.com however it seems that alot of people speculate on the cost of building these engines.....here is a decently accurate break down of what you can do with xxxx amount of dollars. MOST of these prices are from authorized sellers so I do realize that you can get used/Ebay products to save coin.......but you sacrifice warranty's/tech support, etc....anyway here it is hope this helps.....

chart5.jpg

Dont think you have quite grasped what HybridZ is all about :D

If the purpose of that list was to give HybridZers a giggle at how Supra owners spend their $$, then I am giggling. If it was meant to give hybridZers an idea of how much money they should expect to spend, then I am giigling. IMO, that list serves one purpose: Giggle at the mentality of most Supra owners, and the fact that most of their toolboxes is in their wallets. VISA/MC/AMEX. What HybridZer in their right mind is going to spend $1500+ for an FMIC or $5600 for a single turbo kit or $1800+ for engine bay polishing/chroming?

I am probably being rude making this post, but most of the items in that list and especially their cost really have no relevance to this crowd. Everything that most Supra owners are against is what HybridZ is all about.

BurnMac42 ...

Do you have, had or intend to have a Z car? (not that having one is a requirement)

Just curious, as I gather from reading your posts that you are pretty Supra specific and refer to Supraforums quite a bit (not that there is anything wrong with that, as I spend a lot of time over there as well doing research), but much of the info you have supplied thus far hasn't really applied over here.

I kinda love cars all around....yes I do have a Z, two actually 74 and a 2003....and i have had 2 supras as well..91 and 93..right now i have alot more experience with the supra motors...like I mentioned before...you can pick and choose and of course you will always be able to find parts for cheaper...that list was not intended as an iron clad must follow but just to give an idea....yeah you can get a turbo kit for 1500 dollars but will they last, maybe but 1500 is still alot of money to gamble with, i would rather get something that I can have a lot more faith in and if I have to pay more for that, then I will....Supra owners for the most part also do not have to pay lord knows how much in restoring their vehicles (usually) sorry i posted the info...i will just link ebay for you guys next time if thats the route most prefer to take....

Dont think you have quite grasped what HybridZ is all about :D

Giggle at the mentality of most Supra owners, and the fact that most of their toolboxes is in their wallets. VISA/MC/AMEX. What HybridZer in their right mind is going to spend $1500+ for an FMIC or $5600 for a single turbo kit or $1800+ for engine bay polishing/chroming?

I am probably being rude making this post, but most of the items in that list and especially their cost really have no relevance to this crowd. Everything that most Supra owners are against is what HybridZ is all about.

You would be suprised at how many there are here,I have had several requests for "ready to go" engine mounts so they can be delivered to the workshop that's going to do the engine swap.(despite impressing the idea that a swap is "look,think,do"-it really is that simple.)

Generation X,Y, or whatever we are up to , seem to want it off the shelf, ready to go,charge it. what ever happened to do it yourself?-finding stuff that can be worked in. It's FUN!

IMHO, building a car on a visa card,with everything pre-made, (like the Supra recipe) and then getting someone to put it together is like paying to watch someone else have sex.

I think the main reason older Z owners make their own parts is because thats the only option. I think most Z owners would resort to saving a few extra dollars and getting a manufactured parts rather then saving money and doing it yourself that sometimes doesnt work.

I myself like to make my own stuff. That way no one elses car is like mine. If you look at everyones way of closing of the radiator area their all different. Each one is unique. Well back on the subject.. turbo supras are very fast.

I kinda love cars all around....yes I do have a Z, two actually 74 and a 2003....and i have had 2 supras as well..91 and 93..right now i have alot more experience with the supra motors...like I mentioned before...you can pick and choose and of course you will always be able to find parts for cheaper...that list was not intended as an iron clad must follow but just to give an idea....yeah you can get a turbo kit for 1500 dollars but will they last, maybe but 1500 is still alot of money to gamble with, i would rather get something that I can have a lot more faith in and if I have to pay more for that, then I will....Supra owners for the most part also do not have to pay lord knows how much in restoring their vehicles (usually) sorry i posted the info...i will just link ebay for you guys next time if thats the route most prefer to take....

No sweat, I was just curious to your background regarding Z's since you are new to the HybridZ scene and so familiar w/ SF's ... anyway,

Welcome ... :-)

BTW, I'm not too fond of the Ebay links either... :wink:

I guess really the only thing I did not understand and I know it was not meant as an insult nor was it taken as one was that some here did not understand paying a good mount for say an intercooler (I agree 5600 is a lot but thats why it is at the top, those intercoolers support 1000+ hp applications and when you are building that much power, money is probably not hard to come by). What confused was that they get made fun of for spending that cash on parts however its been said to be ready to spend 15-20k to do an RB swap hell probably 10-15k assuming most individuals have to farm out SOME part of the process of a 2JZ swap....its all gravy though just trying to help some guys out when they think these engines will reliably pump out 800+ hp without spending some muula.....:redface:

I think the point of scotties and zgads post was more to make sure you are aware that lists like that dont really apply here. this group of forums members for the most part is a completely different world from the one on Sf. and check my name on there.. same sn, ive been a member of that forum since before the VBB reboot.

people here usually are more concerned with how much WORK something will take more than how much money is costs. everything we do is custom. cookie cutter parts lists from places that sell supra parts on the internet dont apply. nobody here pays 1500 for an intercooler, and plenty of people here run 8,9,10 and 11's on 500 bucks worth of intercooler. i think thats what they are trying to say.