HybridZ

What would you do?(car buying decision)

I had a 240sx Automatic open diff car when I was 17. I absolutely loved it. It was clean and had 84k miles on it.

I would buy a 240sx and keep it clean and without a turbo.

I'm now 19 and own no car but I feel that regardless of driving skill a 16 yr. old SHOULD NOT have a tricked out turbo'd car. There are too many hormones floating through a teenage body and irrationality consumes us. (me included).

My old car.

nissan003.jpg

nissan004.jpg

nissan006.jpgnissan014.jpg

/Whoring

My first car is a 72 240z (I'm 17, got it when I was 16) and its lots of fun to drive. I found mine in really good shape with low-rust and running good for $1600. If you've got around 4k to spend you could do alot with the z. I don't drive my z daily anymore although I used to, I've got a 95 maxima as my daily, fun car, just wish it was rwd. One of my friends has a 325is and loves it, so I would recommend either one. If you pick the z, make sure to check it out VERY thouroghly (sp?) I hope I helped.

You'll spend $1k on an s30 that will need about $3-4k in crap and a couple months of solid weekends worth of work, and you'll have a reliable, albeit ugly (probably won't find a nice paint job on your $1k z), fast ass car.

I'd get an s30. you'll learn a ton, and end up hanging around here a lot more often.

if you have half a brain, a spatula, a $30 orbital sander, and $30 to spend on primer, you can have a decent looking car. better yet, if you've got 3/4 of a brain, a welder and some other tools, the means to do a great priming job (not rattle can), and $400, you can get a maaco paint job that looks great.

Do the s30. most of the looks you'll get will be from chicas your mom's age, but around here at least, the s30 is seen as japanese muscle, while 240sx's are seen as "hey i saw 2fast2furious too, mang that was some sweet chit"mobiles.

edit: just noticed you're in Minnesota. I've heard the salt on the roads there really eats away at cars. Go to a warmer area, or buy one from a warmer area, if you can.

If insurance cost wasn't an issue, I'd suggest a stock '90-'92 Mistubishi Eclipse GSX or Eagle Talon TSI awd. AWD just in case you need to drive somewhere in the winter and the truck isn't available at the moment, and not too ungodly fast as long as everything under the hood is still stock. Get some miles under your belt, then start modding for some real fun.

Looks good. If you get the bimmer, wash her up, slick up the tires and take pics for us :)

At 16, my biggest problem with the Bimmers would have been the cost of new parts compared to a Nissan. Also, you have an overwhelming availability of junk yard parts and reasonable cost aftermarket parts for the Nissan.

I have a problem with using the term Ricers as derogatory. As far as the term Ricer is concerned, as a Japaneese car, most American hot rodders apply that to the Z's if you haven't dropped an American V8 in the things.

I assume that truck will be available anytime it snows up in Minn. as well right cause RWD cars in snow can be very interesting sometimes.....

I agree. 2WD trucks can be really interesting on ice. Studded tires and a four wheeler in the back really helped. 4WD is fine but stopping 5000+ pounds on ice can really pucker one up.

At 16, my biggest problem with the Bimmers would have been the cost of new parts compared to a Nissan. Also, you have an overwhelming availability of junk yard parts and reasonable cost aftermarket parts for the Nissan.

I have a problem with using the term Ricers as derogatory. As far as the term Ricer is concerned, as a Japaneese car, most American hot rodders apply that to the Z's if you haven't dropped an American V8 in the things.

haha your response to my quote had nothing at all do with what I said lol.

And dude if you like the bimmer get it. Parts may be a little hard to come by, but as long as it makes you happy do it :) Just be smart.

• 4 weeks later...

First car = 240SX HANDS DOWN! They are so plentiful, cheap, TONS of aftermarket support, probably one of the cheaper cars to insure of those that are mentioned, and it is [realistically] HIGHLY likely that you're going to wad it up in some fashion.

The BMW takes a fair bit more knowledge to work on, is ALWAYS going to cost more for parts. The Supra is beautiful. Much harder to come by. Last, I was actually thinking S10 before someone else mentioned it. Not sure about autoX; but, the vehicle is LIMITLESS with the aftermarket.

Went back and saw a posting a bit earlier than this one about a turbo. I REALLY think it would be a MONUMENTAL mistake! It's your FIRST CAR!! Save your money. Take baby steps. Learn. Make your mistakes with potentially lower consequences. Guaranteed you won't have the car that long. At that age, we have the attention span of a ....[??] I'm at a loss....

My .02

I'm gonna quote Dave Coleman who writes for Sport Compact Car:

"Here's your answer in only three words: buy a Miata. You, my friend, need to face some hard facts. First, you can't drive. You have no business in a Z until you've learned some skills in something balanced, rear-drive and underpowered."

I'm making my lil' bro buy a Miata as his first car. They're cheap, good on gas, parts are cheap, and so many people own them that there's tons of help and resources available. There's even a race series devoted strictly to Miatas. It is the ultimate entry level sports car IMO. I only wish it could've been my first car. The only other car I can recommend is a first generation Toyota MR2, which is similar to a Miata, but less popular and harder to work on.

Oh, and my only other advice is don't spend money on mods! Save cash for repairs because you'll need to make them, and if you want to be good, go to racing school. $4,000 spent on racing school will make you faster than if you drop $4,000 into your car.

I already got racing lessons lined up for this summer. I've looked at a few different cars now a e30 325is and a e36 needing a new tranny both were really rough and the parts would make me broke. Also looked at some talon's but there reliability leaves something to be desired. Turns out my dad loves s30's and would probably help pay for a clean one locally or drive down south to pick up a nice one. I just love these cars to much to give up on the idea of having one.

Devon