HybridZ

Valve Spring Compressor

naviathan

now IVE never done a datsun,6 cylinder, but this is what I use on chevy,mopar and pontiac,caddys ETC.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRO%2D66832&autoview=sku

pro-66832_cp.jpg

this generally gets more use

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WMR%2DW89409&autoview=sku

wmr-w89409_w.jpg

heads off

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D906784&autoview=sku

sum-906784.jpg

heads on

this type used to be popular, they work but are slow

3271.gif

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi13.html?ref=googleadws&kw=valve+spring+compressor&gclid=CLixwdr68JACFReQGgodJx1l0g

they make pneumatic power ones for head shops, but they can be expensive

they screw onto a stud then the cam action lever depresses the valve, so its loose on the valve retainer, if the heads off you then wack the valve head with a plastic hammer and it comes appart from the retainer/keepers

they work , but remember to pressurize the cylinder to 120 psi to keep the valve from dropping into the cylinder or to insert about 10 ft of 3/8" cotton rope into the cylinder at BDC then rotate it to TDC before removing the keepers if the heads are ON THE ENGINE

and dont forget to rotate to bdc and remove the rope when you go to the next cylinder

btw tie a large knot in one end of the rope or theres a chance it all falls into the cylinder

KD Tools makes one for around $35 last I checked that is very similar to what Xander shows, and works fine on or off the car. As with anything on the head 'off the car' levering on it will make it want to move around. Sticking two dowels in your benchtop that correspond to your head bolt holes will remedy that handily....

It hooks over the cam, and you depress it over the spring retainer so you can remove the retainers. Pretty easy. The KD has several adjustable hand lever positions so you aren't right on top of the manifold when you are depressing the spring. I usually take the head off intake and all, so it's a feature that is critical for me, and for anyone working on the car in-frame.

Apparently they are $46 nowadays from The Tool Source.

70508.jpg

KD Tools makes one for around $35 last I checked that is very similar to what Xander shows, and works fine on or off the car. As with anything on the head 'off the car' levering on it will make it want to move around. Sticking two dowels in your benchtop that correspond to your head bolt holes will remedy that handily....

It hooks over the cam, and you depress it over the spring retainer so you can remove the retainers. Pretty easy. The KD has several adjustable hand lever positions so you aren't right on top of the manifold when you are depressing the spring. I usually take the head off intake and all, so it's a feature that is critical for me, and for anyone working on the car in-frame.

Apparently they are $46 nowadays from The Tool Source.

70508.jpg

Awesome, as always TonyD has the information. Thanks!

3271.gif

I had one like this... Spent $15 on it. It literally broke on the first valve. The threaded section in the middle is only thin-wall tubing and not solid and it just ripped out on the first valve. The pictured one looks to have a solid bar for the middle so it may work better.

I now have a $40 c-clamp~ish style one from autozone and it works great. Pulled a couple heads apart with it.