HybridZ

Interior Paint - Alsa Soft Touch

BobbyZ

Hi guys, I have been looking around for a good alternative to getting all new interior pieces to change the color in my 77 280z. I was looking for some good quality interior paint and I found a paint made by Alsa Corp. They call it a soft touch paint and it says that it resembles leather when finished.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it or something like it. I would really like to use it on my dashboard, I think it could really improve the look of the plastics. It's pretty expensive though and I dont want to spend the money making a mistake someone else has already made.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/softtouch/softtouch.htm

it probably similar to the stuff used in ALOT of new cars... specifically BMW. I hate that crap.

While it probably looks great brand new after a while it will start to wear off and look horrible. I guess I just have something against it because im my BMW 330 alot of the console was done like this. I spent hours scraping it off to reveal the plastic underneath which was the same color and looked better!!!!!

I too would take to time to cover it in cloth.

The small amount of information that I have found on this stuff says that it is really durable, they actually use it for an exterior paint.

Covering the dash in cloth is an option it just seems like a lot of work and I dont have a whole lot of sewing experience.

What about some other alternative interior paints. I would like to color match the car and covering every plastic piece in cloth would be a pretty big undertaking.

I used a simple vinyl upholstery paint from the local Canadian Tire store. i removed the panels from the car. Cleaned them EXTREMELY well, then painted. I even painted the soft padded doors (78 280) I changed them from off white to black...That was more than 10 years ago. Still look great! less than 8 bucks a can, and 2 cans did the entire interior.

Good luck

I have used the viny paint as well and have had very good results. I resprayed my entire dash and all my plastics with it. I just went with the same color, black. It however made everything look nice again and has held up very well. Its very thin and is almost more of a dye.

SEM brand of vinyl and plastic interior paint/dye has been excellent. I have used it for redoing the uneven finish on black plastic interior pieces. Good prep makes it look perfect (like new) and it's durable too. I bought it from an automotive paint store.

Davy

SEM brand of vinyl and plastic interior paint/dye has been excellent. I have used it for redoing the uneven finish on black plastic interior pieces. Good prep makes it look perfect (like new) and it's durable too. I bought it from an automotive paint store.

Davy

I forgot, I used SEM stuff years ago with great results. Thanks DavyZ!

Evan

I used a simple vinyl upholstery paint from the local Canadian Tire store. i removed the panels from the car. Cleaned them EXTREMELY well, then painted. I even painted the soft padded doors (78 280) I changed them from off white to black...That was more than 10 years ago. Still look great! less than 8 bucks a can, and 2 cans did the entire interior.

i di the same thing. it was easy and looks like new. every time i get out of my car my leg hits the door and the paint has still held up great. i got it from pep boys. highly recomended!

i used some vinyl spray to match my exterior but instead of painting whole areas i went for the small touches to personalize it.. all i did was follow the natural lines in the door panel. And like previously suggested, im covered the other panels in material instead of painting. just my

.02 cents.

Mar21_24.jpg

Glossy dash sounds like a terrible idea.

That said, I wanna see it! Im sure it looks great.

Evan

Think about it all pre-60's cars had steel dashes. Example 55/56/57 Chevys. All paint was gloss. A lot of it was 2 tone (cool). Check at your next car show. Will post pics when done. Done before, works great. Remember, I'm an old fart.