HybridZ

Interior Paint - Alsa Soft Touch

BobbyZ

Think about it all pre-60's cars had steel dashes. Example 55/56/57 Chevys. All paint was gloss. A lot of it was 2 tone (cool). Check at your next car show. Will post pics when done. Done before, works great. Remember, I'm an old fart.

News flash, your an old fart LOL.

I was just busting your chops, I am sure it looks great but I hate glare. Rally car drivers paint dashes flat black to absorb light.

Definitely would like to see a painted z dash though!

Evan

There are a few pictures floating around of fiberglassed z dashes that have been painted with a glossy finish. I am on my wife's computer otherwise I could post a couple of the ones that I have seen. Its not my favorite look, I like the matte look much better.

The alsa corp soft touch paint shouldn't be used for fabrics. I was toying with the idea of painting my car on the exterior with the soft touch paint. If you want to see what kind of paint it is, hit up a local cellular phone store. There are a number of blue and red motorola phones that have this soft feeling metallic/shadow looking paint to it that looks pretty nice and feels like a super super super soft version of microsuede. It's quite nice to look at and touch. It feels very soft, and it's scratch resistance is amazing.

My cellular phone has been in my pocket with my keys for so many years now, and the only time it has lost some paint on the soft side was when I dropped it. There is also an anodizing process that provides the same results in terms of colour and appearance, however it takes on the texture of the substrate itself, and does not feel soft. BUT it's the same colour. This is why I did some research on the paint colour. I liked the kind of sheen it has, because it's soft and non glared, but I can't exactly anodize my entire car.

or can i :D

This is the finish I wanted, but in a dark olive green with a gold undertone:

orange-softfeel-speedshape_L.jpg

I wasnt planning on using the paint on any fabrics. I was hoping it would work well on the plastic interior trim pieces (including dash and center console).

I think that painting it a matte black with that microsuede texture would be a cheaper/easier alternative to covering the dash in fabric.

it might look good on those pieces, but you'd probably have to bondo the heck out of them to get them smooth first.

and as for microsuede, it won't feel like microsuede. LOL. it will just feel like a dash that's been coated in a paint that feels soft. not by any means luxurious, but it should be nicer than regular repaints.

I am more looking at the smoothe texture as a way of making the dash less "plasticky"... dont really know if this would accomplish that.

One more thing. Do you know how well this would hold up to UV exposure? I would have to bondo the whole dash and so would lose the flexibility of the dash. Would this mean that extended exposure might crack the dash?