HybridZ

My Interior

Armand

Heya guys,

Finally got around to taking some pics of everything. Here's my interior. It's got:

Fatmat + Auto-Mat sound deadening all throughout

Grant steering wheel

Alpine Head unit

5" Alpine 2-way Type R speakers in doors w/ Infinity 6x9 3-way Kappa's w/ MSA speaker box

Cheap leather reclinable ebay seats

PDK Fabrication Rear Strut Bar

Nismo 4-point Harness's

Dash mat

Center Console w/ cup holders coming soon

Full set of Autometer Sport-Comp gauges waiting to be installed.

Ya I know its very dirty but whatever, you guys get the idea. :)

rotawheels019ac5.jpg

rotawheels022eb9.jpg

rotawheels020jd5.jpg

And here's a pic of my car for the hek of it:

rotawheels005pi8.jpg

Hope you guys like it.

looks great! looks very comfortable and ive been trying to do the same so i can get the girlfriend to ride with me :P

Also is your car pretty quiet with the sound deadner? ive been wanting to do it also and just wondering how much quieter its gonna get. mine gets a lot of road/exhaust noise in the cabin. what im tryin to get at is, is it worth it?

rturbo, thank you for the compliments. The suspension is Tokico HP's w/ Arizona Z car springs w/ 2 coils cut off all around. I wish I only cut 1 coil in the rear. The Tokico HP's just don't have enough dampening for these springs when cut. I have suspension technique's springs on the way. I have a buncha other stuff like TTT tension control rods, suspension technique's swaybars, polyurethane everywhere, and new everything on steering. Just need to add some AZC bump steer/quick ratio steering knuckles and put those springs on and suspension will be done.

zane, thank you! I'm looking for a steering column cover. All the tabs that hold the two half's together have broken off. I have one screw in the front and a piece of black string holding it together!:icon56:

ihavearustedz, yes, there was a very noticeable difference in not only sound and rattles but temperature as well. It stays colder on hotter days and warmer on those cold nights. I think it was worth it, it was quite a lot of time-consuming work. It's especially worth it if you have a stereo system. It makes any stereo sound WAY better. My stereo bumps so clearly, and its still running off the built in head unit amp. I can't wait to put in an amp and see what these speakers can do.

• 7 months later...
i must have missed that

no worries haha. i usually read everything twice b4 posting a question jus so that little thing doesn't happen and takes up thread space :P

very very nice!! how do those infinity's sound to you? i'm thinking about getting the same setup minus the 5's in the doors...jus can't bring myself to cut the panels....yet haha. so right now i'm jus sporting the 2 4's in the middle panels...clear but i'm missing my bass =[

My stereo system kicks ASS! So far pretty much anyone who I show it to say it's the sickest system they have ever heard. The infinity kappa series are FANTASTIC speakers! The kenwood amplified box with two 6" subs are the perfect size/weight/bass for the wheel well and the over car. I put fatmat and automat insulation everywhere on this car so it makes it sound quite a bit better with ZERO rattles. A lot of labor but I highly recommend it.

For your system, as long as you have some decent 4's in the mid it would sound O K. But the door panels sound fantastic, especially with components.

Btw, this thread is old. I've since gone to Infinity Kappa's 6 1/4" components 60.7 in the doors, with an Alpine MRP-f250 powered the 4 speakers. Then I also have a 175watt kenwood amplified box with 1 6" powered woofer and another 6" radiance speaker. Perfect size for the wheel well. With this setup now it finally has enough bass and it BUMPS! The Alpine 5's in the doors were simply overpowered by the Kappa's.

haha yea i jus realized it was an old thread.

well, i've been thinking and my Z is going to be "my own" so why not cut the door panels? yea yea they're original but it's not like i'm going to be on barret jackson or anything lol.

and the wheel well idea is wicked!! i jus have that inflatable useless tire in there anyways. not like i'd use it when i have AAA. do you have more pics of your system on this site or cardomain? i'd really like to see it :P i really need a system to keep up with the twice pipes haha

Hey Armand,

I am about to invest in a sound system for my Z, and will be going the MSA speaker box route but with no speakers in the doors, same as Datsun723s original plan. You seem to know a bit about car sound and I thought I might ask you whether combining the 2 rear 6x9s with the Retrosound head unit (its the original looking one that MSA sells under Radio and MP3 kits) would in your opinion produce a good sound system. Would I need to consider anything else past the box, the sound system and the speakers if I went that route ie, sound deadening, amplifying, rattle, etc. I've never modified a car sound system before and would appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Sorry I was out of town for a week and just back in last night. It all depends how you like your music to sound. Are you a young guy and like to blast your music, or just hear it normally. One thing you must consider when you are picking what components you pick is noise. Most S30's don't have functional a/c and a lot of the time the windows are always down. Combine the sound of the wind with all the rattles/vibrations these 30+ year old cars have it takes quite a bit of volume to hear your music clearly on the highway.

Making the above clear, I would say the system you are installing is gonna be just enough. Don't expect anything amazing, but you should be able to hear all your music clearly. The sound coming only from the back will take some time getting used to. I would honestly consider at least adding tweeters somewhere in the front. And spend a good chunk of dough and get some NICE 3-way 6x9's. You need as much treble as you can get so don't go for a 2-way. Infinity Kappa 6x9's are pretty hard to beat.

What I do when I look for stereo equipment is just go to http://www.crutchfield.com and search for your components on there, read the reviews, then get the cheapest one on ebay.

If you do it and think you need more sound, just remember that you can always add/change speakers/components. I would highly recommend to add sound deadening, especially if it's a street driven car. It's a lot of labor but it honestly makes the stereo sound great. There are certain old cars that have so much vibrations in the doors/interior panels that it won't matter how great of a system you put, those vibrations are just going to get louder and louder and cover up more of the sound from the speakers.

So just decide what you want. It's very easy to wire a stereo system and does not require too much work at all. Have fun.

They are not covers, they are real MOMO pedals. You drill into the stock pedals and bolt them on. You can remove them and put the stock covers back on as if it never happened too. I like them a lot, lots of grip and they are fantastic for heel and toe'ing/double clutching.

Armand,

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm definitely gettin the 3-way Kappa's with at least a 250 4 channel amp. I'm still debating whether to get the 6 1/4's for the doors or jus seeing where I stand with the the 6x9's and the 4's in the stock location. I can always add the door speakers later anyways. My only concern is really going to be the rattling. My Z is fairly tight inside which surprised me when I bought it. My 77 creaked like HELL!!!

Anywho, thanks again for the advice and I'll have to see your Z in person someday :P

• 8 months later...