HybridZ

Automatic vs Manual Tranny

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am in the gathering stages to do a v8 conversion on my 82 280zx ( a chevy 350 ). This web site is a great source, I am glad I found you. It sounds like most of you are going with an automatic tranny. I really like a manual, are there problems with manuals with the conversion? Does the shifter match up close enough? If a manual works fine, what is the best setup?

A manual will work just fine and you have a few choices. I used the JTR method to install the engine with a Camaro T-5 trans using a '84 and up Corvette bellhousing matched to a Tilton (Wilwood now) 7/8" master cylinder. I have a 1971 240Z so I used the 1973 console and the shifter came right up through the stock hole. http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294856715

Some of the other guys here can comment on the use of the T-56 and Tremec because they are using them.

I also prefer a manual. But I'm building my car for street use, very occasional road race track days for grins, and an occasional drag race run.

Autos make the swap easier and make for more consistent E.t.s for most drivers.

I have installed the Tremec 5spd, but not driven it yet. I've heard it is a notchy shifting transmission, so I'm a bit concerned.

If I were to do it again, I'd go for the T-56 as it seems they are getting to be more reasonably priced in the recycler yards these days. Mike Kelly can talk about the ease and cost of that swap, but hit the Tech Info page on this site for his article on the swap.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Guest Carlissimo

My car is built to be a road racer and therefore I prefer the 5-speed setup that I have. It is geared to do approx 33 MPH in first, 65 in second, 98 in third, 130 in fourth and 163 in fifth.

If you prefer to drag race, the automatic setup is probably the way to go.

Last time I went to the drag strip, I was at 7000 rpm in second and could still see the christmas tree ! I still managed to beat the 1995 Vette to the line. I have a lot of trouble getting hooked up with my car. Besides, I have to shift into fourth right before the finish. A lot of fun in the open road but probably not the best setup for the strip.

------

Carlo 327 5-speed

I think it boils down to what you like. I have a 700R4 in my truck, which is a daily driver and turns 9s in the 1/8th mile. I also have a T56 in the Z and it is by far the best shifting and smoothest trans I have ever encountered. I drive my truck in traffic every day and it shifts well and is reasonably efficient.

As for manual trans' in general, well it depends on what you want to do and how much HP you plan to make. A standard world class T5 will not survive in a 350+HP motor. It wasn't designed to. Tremecs are Notchy, but I'm told that you get used to them. I drove my buddies high HP mustange with one in it and I was missing shifts, but he doesn't, so Pete Don't panic until you drive it and get used to it. For my money, I still say, although expensive, the T56 is the absolute best trans for the swap, and gearing couldn't be better! If you go that route, read the tech article, print it out and leave it in the garage. You will need it!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk