HybridZ

Anyone use the McKinney Motorsports SR20 mounts?

mattyice

just seeing if anyone has experience with these mounts or not? would you recommend getting them? or should i just get the vildini cradle? i would much rather get the Vildini cradle but then i have to make my own tranny mount...if they can get extremely close to the firewall placement like Vildini can on their custom installs then it would be worth the price i think...

the i thought of the problem that when i switch out to the R200 300ZX rear end would i just tell them its the 260Z/280Z type 3 kit even though my car is a 71 240?

We (McKinney Motorsports ) offer kits for 70-73 early and late 73 to 78,

For the SR20 and the RB motors; radiators, intercooler kits, down pipes(stock style turbos) full 3" exhaust and other motor and supension parts...wiring conversion for all SR20 and RB motors. 951-304-9300/1045

Our kit use custom polyurthane mounts!!!!!!! for engine and trans in street and race style...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT

Just remember, Nissan made 3 different transmission mounts from 70-78. The series 1 240Z is different, and the series 2 240Z is a bit different.

Finally the 280Z style which I think was used in the 260Z as well is a completely different mount.

The 240Z's have pins that bolt up into the chassis while the 280Z style is a slide through pin from the side.

I think this is why a lot of people say fab your own tranny mount.

here are the pics, sorry for taking up so much bandwidth

This tranny mount is completely useless for 240Z style mounts unless you plan to add brackets to the inside of your transmission tunnel, which at that point is no longer a bolt in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5116&d=1202181293

Works perfect for 260's and 280s.

Just my $0.02

Well I'm glad to see that McKinney has recognized that there are different types of mounts now...

However I still think the website information is a bit off still.

According to the website the breakdown of the years are as follows...

70-73 240z TYPE 1

73 LATE 240 Z TYPE 2

260/280 Z IS TYPE 3

I'm almost 100% certain that 70-73 should not be bracketed as one type as there are Series 1 and Series 2 240Z that are different in transmission mounting locations, however they do have a valid disclaimer saying you should contact them with the production year which would determine the correct transmission mount to use.

WE are refining the trans mounts on the fly as we get different cars in the shop. By the Datsun drawings we have there are 3 different trans mounts from 69-78, but we know production changes, do not always get updated.

Any help and info would be helpful....contact me or email

• 1 month later...

Is this SR20 mounting, a cradle that mounts into the existing mounts and then holds the SR20 in itself. Or a mount set that is welded to the chassis?

If they're new mounts welded to the chassis in place of the old ones, can they be fitted without removing the L28 mounts in a 280ZX? or do the L28 mounts have to be torched off to clear the space for the SR20 mounts?

Is this SR20 mounting, a cradle that mounts into the existing mounts and then holds the SR20 in itself. Or a mount set that is welded to the chassis?

If they're new mounts welded to the chassis in place of the old ones, can they be fitted without removing the L28 mounts in a 280ZX? or do the L28 mounts have to be torched off to clear the space for the SR20 mounts?

You get a new cradle, old mounts get cut out. ,

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That 'style one' catch all by '240z Master' is misleading as well.

My 72 and 73 240Z's have the fore-aft pin attachment like my 260/280/280ZX. Maybe the early 'screws into the bottom up' is just for the earlier cars, and automatics, but by 1973, the mount is pretty much standardized till the end of the S130 run. For Standard Shift cars, that is...the Automatics ceased getting a different style mount at some point as well. Which I think is where he's getting the '70-73 Type 1' designation.