HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Matt, Thats what I'm thinking about the battery issue too.. I'm amazed nobody else has posted up on this type of thing, but I'm guessing that's the case... I'll have to throw the red-top back in and sell this Braille if it doesn't work out over the next week.

These cars car be hugely rewarding, when they "work"! Hahahaha

Mike

I feel your pain. Was going over a few loose ends and making track debut (shakedown) this coming week, not really hot laps, anyway checked off some minor things to pass tech. Then I noticed that the welds in the ceiling of the roll cage have hairline fractures. Since I wasn't in the mood to tear the skin off the roof I had the old one removed and a new one installed. The guys at Robinson Racing did an incredible job on the new cage. I'll post some pic's over on my thread. I now have no car for the opening of AMP for members this weekend. I decided that I needed to get out so I've rented a World Challenge Corvette just to get some seat time. That's pretty desperate...........

Keep your chin up.

I also wanted to talk to you about the new battery........When we installed the no weight race battery in my car I had to keep it on a trickle charger ALL the time and it really didn't have the amps to restart the car if I stalled it, and in the pits with this clutch its pretty easy to stall. I dont want to spend $800 or more on one of the no weight high - high end ones. I was just thinking that I had to go with a red top. It might not have anything to do with it, but try your old (optima) battery and see if it helps.

Matt

So we did it... I put a deposit down on this...

MikesNewGT3.jpg

MikesGT32.jpg

CarbonInterior.jpg

I'm gonna own another Porsche...Got to get it shipped from the left coast, but I can't wait to get back into a Pcar as my daily driver...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Thanks Guys... She's staying "as is" with the possible exception of a second set of wheels way down the road. She's already got all the right stuff from mother- Porsche or the last owner:

DaSport Rollbar

Fabspeed Exhaust

PMNA 997 SSK

Monoball Rear adjustable camber & toe arms

Factory adjustable coil overs

Factory adjustable swaybars

Factory adjustable control arms

The 996TT was a lot of work to get ready for track events. It would in general take me a day to swap out the seats/harnesses, the brakes, the tire/wheels, and do the alignment to make it all perform on track. I want to get back to something that I can drive everyday and then go to the track if I want and just lap it. Only additions will be a custom insall of a clear bra and an Ipod hookup. The car has never been tracked and under the pre-purchase inspection it was discovered that the rev limiter had never been engaged, which is a pretty rare thing in these cars.

I'm not abandoning the Zcar by any stretch. It's my track whip until someone comes with a big bag of cash.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The last week or so has not been good for working on anything... Been running my arse off... Hope to get the Zcar up in the air and find out why I've developed a bad shake in the steering. Checked the wheel bearings and they're fine...Won't be making the track event this coming weekend at VIR because the GT3 is getting delivered either Saturday or Sunday, as of "now".

Mike

Im BACK :) Ill tell ya mike,, you finish the z and you will sell it. If you always have something to make better.. challenge will always be like a temptrist. (btw.... dont want to go though history.. what happen to the "P" car you had? also my bro in law "P" car is almost done.... 86 911s. should be around 550hp

Im BACK :) Ill tell ya mike,, you finish the z and you will sell it. If you always have something to make better.. challenge will always be like a temptrist. (btw.... dont want to go though history.. what happen to the "P" car you had? also my bro in law "P" car is almost done.... 86 911s. should be around 550hp

Oh my he's alive, where have you been?

You had so many pages. I was not sure if there was drama from here that id rather not read.

I very sorry to hear about your you father. Im not attached to my parents at all.. so all i can do is give condolences to family affected:(

I suppose the fellow that bought the last car is unwilling to sell back(too late anyhow). Not sure if id sell it back,, you had that built NICE. (hope that comes across well)

Anyhow Mike,, great to hear from ya! Z is looking SWEETTTTT!!!! Still looking forward to your review of both cars!

No drama these days...

I'll throw this out there... There were a lot of misconceptions, a lot of interference from others here and elsewhere, and lots of stress on my life to cause me to lash out at people here when I was an Admin. I miss helping run the show, but I don't miss that phase of my life. I'm a grand father, a business owner, a great father and a WONDERFUL husband now. I wasn't any of that when I was trying to serve to many masters and keep to many things straight in my life.

The Datsun was able to be finished by lightening a number of LOADS from my life. The Porsche Twin Turbo was one. I'll be able to continue developing the Zcar and enjoy the GT3 on the street and at the track on a rare occasion. The Datsun WILL be at the track with the Chrysler Crossfire club on June 2nd at NCCAR. I've volunteered to instruct and I actually enjoy that track quite a bit.

Mike

Yesterday I pulled the right front wheel off the Zcar. I have a new tire to replace the one cut by the installer last time around. In the process I found my "shake". They wheel spacer I used on the custom aluminum front hub wasn't thick enough and the wheel was actually cutting into the front hub surface and not seating evenly on the brake rotor hat. I will be taking a wheel, and both front hubs to Tom Harris in the next few days so we can have the hubs outter diameter turned down.

This was something I had completely forgotten when custom ordering the wheels... the INNER Hub diameter on mine isn't stock 240-280Z sized. Oh well, welcome to the world of custom parts!

Mike

So driving home today I says to myself, I says "Self, We're going to be driving the Zcar in less than two weeks and I needs to be a wrenching..."

So when I got home I went down to the shop, put the car up in the air, troubleshot a rattle on a fuel line/fitting under the rear of the car, relocated the oil temp sensor to the return side of the oil cooler fittings, and extended the sensor wire in the harness. I have to get my car trailer checked out and then get some slicks mounted up by the weekend... I'll be attending the Chrysler Crossfire Club event at NCCAR as an instructor. I really dig that track as a "learning" circuit for new students!

It's a one day event, so I'll drive up the night before and come back the same evening!

Mike