HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

$15K and You can have it as it sits right now... I will have it sitting outside the shop ready to be picked up. :icon45:  :icon10:  :icon52:  :icon6:

My wife claims that this car is a family member and I can't sell it... Funny she didn't find the humor when I mentioned some foreign culters where children are sold off to the sex trade...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

15K  ?!?!?!?!?!?

Icard will give you two grand for it.

He and I will sit around, look at it, and talk about the good old days.

It's not like we don't have any other cars sitting around.

jt

Pulling together a plan right now.  Looks like I'll be installing the 5.5 inch Tilton clutch kit with bellhousing and ministrarter.  I'll also be installing the drysump kit along with the LS1. I'm going to drop the shortblock off on Monday of next week to have the work started.

I believe I'm also going to install the Trickflow heads/cam package that was released last year.  Still doing a little research but that's where I'm leaning right now.

Mike

Pulling together a plan right now.  Looks like I'll be installing the 5.5 inch Tilton clutch kit with bellhousing and ministrarter.  I'll also be installing the drysump kit along with the LS1. I'm going to drop the shortblock off on Monday of next week to have the work started.

I believe I'm also going to install the Trickflow heads/cam package that was released last year.  Still doing a little research but that's where I'm leaning right now.

Mike

Trick flow makes some great heads, but I'd seriously consider a custom grind for your application.

• Like 1

Trick flow makes some great heads, but I'd seriously consider a custom grind for your application.

Agreed.  No sense just pulling from a catalog unless there's a cam that's worked in a very similar engine combo and that package would work well in your car and at the speeds and gearing you want it to.

If you go custom on the cam just make sure you get someone who really knows what they are doing to design it and make sure similar cams provide the power and torque curves you want. 

Mike - what is your rpm range to be able to get the speed you need and with the gearing you have will you be able to have enough torque at that rpm to sustain acceleration?

Hmmm. Gone from disgusted and getting rid of car to a discussion of custom cams and aftermarket heads. That sad spell passed quickly! Buy roses for Mrs Kelly for propping you up in you're moment of despair. I like your renewed optimism. I would put a stock, low mileage 5.3 in that sucker with only a LS1 intake as the only modification. Use a stock pull-out and enjoy it for a year before getting fancy and adding complexity. Wouldn't you rather finish mid-pack that DNF? You (we) have a disease.

Mark, Jeff and I have talked. I won't go into it here, but there is a certain vette project I recommended to him that did not go as planned and is still not right a year later.

Pete, I am looking at the whole driveline for potential replacement, including the rear driveline and the trans. 6500 rpm on the tire I expect to run and a 3.36 rear should get me what I need.

Keith, I am on hold again for another few weeks due to circumstances beyond me. Someone could just as easily buy it tomorrow.

Mike

Trouble shooting the wiring this afternoon. So far I have resolved one issue with the starter button. No answer on the fuel pump feed yet. May be the relay but as of now it is running again. Will take more troubleshooting.

Mike

Figured the whole thing out in about 15 minutes... The Circuit breaker is a 100amp and I had two different figures provided for use. One took the components to right at 100, and the other to 105 amps. I took the MSD off it completely and ran it directly to the master switch for the power feed. If I have any further issues electrically, I will replace that circuit breaker completely.

Now on to removing the accusump...

Mike

Figured the whole thing out in about 15 minutes... The Circuit breaker is a 100amp and I had two different figures provided for use. One took the components to right at 100, and the other to 105 amps. I took the MSD off it completely and ran it directly to the master switch for the power feed. If I have any further issues electrically, I will replace that circuit breaker completely.

Now on to removing the accusump...

Mike

So the accusump is out of the car, and the dash is back in.  I managed to get the circuit breaker to fail while in the car, and ran a test on it.  Once that showed the unit to be faulty I replaced it.  Car runs again.  I'm going to go ahead and swap the oil and drain the lines again, and put 5 quarts in it.  I'm also going ot pull the car out of the shop and degrease the engine bay and "hope" there are no more leaks.  I suspect we'll be pulling the motor to replace the seals/gaskets.  "While I'm at it" I'm going to go ahead and install the tilton release bearing/candlestick on the trans and plumb the hydraulics to that and get rid of the Wilwood slave setup.  It will be far more durable in the long run.

Mike

Confirmed this evening the front crank seal is leaking oil like crazy.  The motor def. will need to come out.  I'm also seeing it in the rear seal weeping and the pan leaking.  I'm guessing that the pressure was just to much.  I'll pull it out after the August Chumpcar races.  I really don't think I'll have time to mess with it until after that.

Mike

This is not quite as entertaining as a new episode of Duck Dynasty, but I keep checking back in to get the latest. 

LSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLS

THERE..........If anyone didn't know where I stood on the matter. 

Also you mentioned a page or two ago about dry sump vs. accusump. Just wait till you can do the dry sump to really make things right for what you want to do, IMO.

I thought you got an ARE pan from Mark a while back? 

post-13190-0-37248200-1374102394_thumb.jpg

Was thinking about Mike the other day while visiting the cage-people doing my jungle-gym project.

They just assembled an LS1 and were using a Jericho or similar 4 speed Dog Box.

I think in NASA at least it is a slight P/W penalty, but sounded like it would be a fun tranny and way lighter than T56.

Plus I tend to get lost in 6 speeds

Your accusump will have fun with me..

My first V8 transplant Zcar had the T56 in it and the thing weighed easily 170# when coupled with the centerforce 153tooth flywheel available way back in 1998.

My latest combo has a TKO600 5speed. The weight in my combo really lies in the blowproof bellhousing and the clutch combo. That, the LS based motor, and the move from the Q45 rear to something else should net me 200# total savings in weight. That should bring the car well into the LOW 2400# range.

Mike

Yesterday morning I pulled the harmonic balancer off the crank and the oil seal came off with it... Think I found the "leak" in the motor.  I went ahead and picked up a new timing chain cover along with the seal kit.  The oil was drained and I went ahead and dropped the oil pan down so when I replace the timing cover it will be easy to get to.  The heat was so bad yesterday I called it a day.

Mike