HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

So the motor is back together with a fresh timing cover and seal. It runs. I need to degrease the engine bay now and confirm there are no further leaks.

So I am done trying to do a draw type PCV evac setup. Mother Nature will have to live with one more car spewing oil fumes into the atmosphere. I have one valve cover with a double baffled breather on it, and the other going to an AllStar catch can/breather and I am done trying to make this car more complicated than it has to be. Hopefully the oiling issues have been resolved and I can get back to the other aero issues I would prefer to address, and oh, Driving the car on track without significant issues.

All that said, I suspect the next two weeks will be sidelined for the old Zcar. We are in the final prep for the 24hours of VIR with our ChumpCar entry. Next weekend and much of the following week will be devoted to that car as the race weekend is on August 9 10 11.

Mike

I put the car in the air night before last, running for five minutes with a number of higher RPM revs and didn't find evidence of any oil or coolant.  Believe the motor is back together for good until she is replaced in the fall...

Mike

Glad to hear it might be working well for you, Mike.  You should check out the next GripFest event at NCCAR this fall (Oct 26).  Event info can be found at the "Grip Syndicate" website and FB page.  It's a beautiful venue and a great event.  Would love to see your car there (and you, of course, too!   :icon46: )

Hope the motor holds up ok.

Hey man, I've been to that course many many times, as an instructor... I really like that place because it is so much fun.  I'll put it on the calendar!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 3 weeks later...

So after all the work on the chumpcar and the resulting race weekend effort, I just didnt have it in me to wrench the Zcar. That said, I came back home to find the motor leaking oil yet again. I will have to remove the motor and resolve the oil pan now.

While I am at it, I will go ahead and replace the slave cylinder setup with the threaded collar and hydraulic release bearing setup made by Tilton I have had sitting in my cabinet for a few years.

Maybe start on that whole motor pulling next week...Just pulled the chumpcar driveline this evening...

Mike

I hadnt been to a junkyard is many years, until today. My kid asked me to go with him and look for a hood and grill surround for his BMW E36 track car. What a hoot... I was looking at all sorts of parts, remembering back to when I had 18 cents to rub together and the scavenger hunts for Zcar parts I used to take in that very yard. Was a little nostalgic. Lot of fun...

I now have some ideas for motor swaps for the chumpcar and possibly a source for some other ideas for the ZCar.

Mike