HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

So I forgot about that Craigslist ad I had put up for the motor, and yesterday I had a guy ping me with specific detailed questions.  We emailed back and forth for over an hour, before he said those magical words "I want it". 

So now I'm stuck... If he comes up with the cash this weekend (And I'm loath to trust humans right now) I'll pull the motor and sell it.  If not this weekend, then it should be running here shortly... So I may well be on my way to an LSx based motor afterall... I have to admit I'm seriously thinking about doing the LS376 now, instead of building the one I have in house.

Mike

A.D.D. usually works for me but sometimes its nice to just make a simple plan and stick to it. You'll have more fun on track with a simple set up, that you already know, than you will not at the track while building the ultimate "neverending" setup..............

When's the last time you were at the track?

If you do sell it and go with the LS setup, which I am obviously partial to, do you have a setup and installation plan in place or are you going to be starting over as far as how everything marries up to one another. I'm behind you either way it just sounds like another setback.......

I am at the point of my life where I firmly understand I have a better time on the track than I do off the track.

Matt

I gotta say - Matt is making a lot of sense here - it seems you had the 383 sorted pretty well, except for oiling, but that's going to be an issue to solve with the LS as well.  I'd be sticking with the 383 for a while to get some track time, and gather EVERYTHING you need for doing the LS swap while you are driving the 383 on track.

I kinda feel the same way as Matt BUT my only point to add is either engine you go with, a solid plan should be made and time spent in the garage to maximize time on the track. Joe (rags) always told me one thing at a time when I built my cars and in a rush to always want to be at the track, I didn't enjoy the car as much because "something" would be wrong so I hated working on the car because it took time away from driving it. if your current setup (engine) meets 80% of your HP goals and track duty then stick with it since you know what you have and the time spent. If you NEED more, and have a great punchlist and plan to do the LS3 which if you believe will help you "work less" on the car to enjoy it more than go for it! Just thinking this past this year, you have a buyer right now for an engine I believe if gives you a problem again within the next two years, you will sell it. If you moved to the LSx and any issues came up, I don't think you would be on the fence to sell it and move on to another platform. I am trying to come at this without money being an issue just plan, what works best for Mike to have fun.

I will admit I love working on cars. Race cars even more so. I hate going to the track and paying my fees and then the car not be right or something breaks and I cant even take her out..............HOWEVER, I still would rather be at the track with a car at 75% than have any car in the garage at 100%. 

If you were to be a spectator at the track and you see the run group go by and there is this one car that is just slow as hell or smoking real bad. Everyone always thinks, Damn that must suck havin to drive that POS. Ask the guy driving it and he'll tell you about how much of a blast it was to be out on track.

Matt

post-13190-0-25747200-1357321253_thumb.jpg

No platform is bulletproof, and if you decide to sell the 383 then you'll be spending this next season, if you make it out at all, sorting out bugs and shaking down the car all over again.

I personally feel the LSX will give you less problems in the long run, but you've already come so far with this 383 it just seems so sad to see it go after all this work. I mean dang it mike, it's IN THE DAMN CAR, and READY TO GO! I personally wouldn't waste all that work just to be rid of the headache it's caused. Who's to say it doesn't run like a champ all season and do nothing but right by you? You'll never know if you sell it right now. Made sense right after the last ordeal, but I'm not sure it makes sense this very second.

But of course, it's all up to you, and I'm just some guy on the internet. It's not like I'll be upset if you don't give a damn about my opinion.

All valid points. 

The plan is simple.  I will most likely go with the LS1 because it is in house and it is mostly "there".  I have most of the induction (LS6 intake/Clives TB), Custom long tube headers, ARP bolt kit, ARE drysump oil pan, and complete bottom end.  I also have a clutch kit with light weight flywheel.  All will marry up to the existing trans and all will work with the FAST efi. 

Things still needed:

Rest of the drysump

Heads/cam package

EFI injection harness

Injectors

Johns Cars motormount kit

I have the GT3 and the Turbo miata to get back on track with if need be, and I've already warned the "better half".  I got seriously sidelined last fall with my sickness/surgery.  However, I plan to make up for lost time this year.  Although I DO agree that starting over after pulling the 383 out is a setback, I also see the added value of that lost weight as something I can not ignore.  Matt, I am not as much a fan of working on my car anymore, either.  Although I still get satisfaction from working on it, I would much rather drive it at the track.  Last July was the end of my driving season due to the motor issue. 

This much I do know:

From now on when I think something isn't right, don't listen to others.  I knew this motor was going to have oiling issues and should have pulled the motor 2+ years ago.  From now on I'm not going to just "do it".  If something's not 100%, it comes out and appart, no messing around...

Long story short, and burried somewhere way back in this thread... We started that motor dry with no oil in it about 3.5 years ago.  The previous year I'd gotten the call from mom in the middle of changing the oil.  She just found out that she had breast cancer and was going to need double mastectomy.  I put the drain plug back in the oil pan, shoved the car to the side, and didn't touch it for 6 months.  When I did, we dediced to start it.  There was NO OIL in the motor.  Everyone present said "It'll be ok". 

Anyway, As much as I'm not a fan of setbacks and as much as I have bitched about this project, if the guy is serious and if he's going to pay me for the motor, it's coming out.  If not, then I'll continue with the plan above and finish the LS1 this year and install it over the fall/winter.  Either way, I'm going LS1.  There is no denying the weight savings/performance advantages. 

Mike

FYI........

Summit Racing has brand new sub $3K LS1 crate motors right know they are blowing out. No Tax and No shipping, even to a residential address. I know you already have one on site, but this is worthy info..........

You might find that you need to add your goodies to it to make it "race" worthy but thats still a great deal.

Since we were takling so much about the LS setup I thought I would mention this on your thread.

Matt

Matt, I'm going to be using bigger heads (I'm thinking PRC227s and a custom grind camshaft.  I already have the shortblock complete.  I'm trying to make the 455WHP limit I need for NASA.

All that said, I didn't hear back from the "buyer" so I'm going to weld some V-band clamps on the existing 383 strokers block huggers and install them along with the rest of the exhaust and start putting fluids back in this car.  Of course I'm aware that when I do this, I'll get an email from this guy saying he'll come and get it... Or not.  Onward and upward.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

I got the V-band clamps/flanges and did a little port matching today.  I got the exhaust system buttoned up completely today.  Got the radiator to install, and all the fluids to fill the motor/trans with.

537934_581085071907921_858500442_n_zpsb3215610_580989451917483_216898296_n_zpsee

Mike,

To be honest some of the guys here on the Forum got together and payed the potential buyer a visit and I dont think you'll be hearing from him again. He was threatening your ability to get back out on track with Z car sooner rather than later. We just couldn't stand to see that...........

Matt

p.s.........Keep up the good work with the 383 and nobody else will get hurt.

Dealing with a wicked case of tennis elbow, which has slowed my progress.  I did manage to get the radiator in and hoses connected, 2 gallons in the system.  Will need another to top it off.

And I got in some much needed "therapy" today of the other kind.  As you can see, her office is rather small...

IMG_5958.jpg

Wise beyond her years though, in dishing out her wisdom...

IMG_5960.jpg

Hard to believe I'm a grandfather!

More on the car later this week.  Should be running shortly...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Made a little bit of progress this evening...

Gear oil (mostly in the car, some on the floor) - Check
Oil in the crank case - Check
Oil filter pre-lubed and installed - check
Radiator topped off - check
Oil pump primed - Check
Elbow onfire - You betcha!

So if I get off work on time tomorrow (I think I'll be working late) I'll get the oil pump primed once more, set the distributor to 50 degrees before top dead center, confirm cam sync, set to 60 degrees, confirm crank sync (this is all for the XFi) install plugs, cap and wires and fire it up.

Mike

Wish I had time to play tennis.  I'd play tennis before I'd play golf.

Motor started tonight and ran.  A little rough I might add.  LIttle popping, little cracking... I suspect I may have the timing off, even though the distributor sync'ed up.  Guess it may be on the exhaust stroke.  Ran, though, so we're getting there... Posted a video clip on facbook at my "Mike's Hobby Shop" page... Check it out!

Mike 

Really digging this cheap pan and how it "works with the mixture of parts... And I'm ONLY down 1/2 quart in total capacity.  You don't need the additional trap doors on more sexy pans because you don't have the "kickout".  2 trap doors, a windage tray and 7 1/8 deep.  Couple things about this pan that are worth really mentioning... It claimed to be 5 quarts and a cheater IMCA model.  It also claimed to be a 7 inch deep pan.  I measured 6 quarts, and it measured 7 1/8 from the top of the rails on the pan to the floor of the pan internally.

This is the pan I bought... Very impressed with it, especially for $59.  I'd have paid $250.

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/sbc-small-block-chevy-imca-racing-cheater-oil-pan-pickup.html

As you can see, it clears the exhaust nicely and allows you to get to bits undercar.  I'll be running 6.5 quarts with the cooler and relocated filter/lines.  I'll add the 2 quart accusump.  So that'll give 8.5 quarts instead of 9 quarts with the other system and the kickouts on the champ pan.

IMG_5986.jpgIMG_5985.jpgIMG_5983.jpg