HybridZ
Mikelly

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Mikelly    115

Confirmed this evening the front crank seal is leaking oil like crazy.  The motor def. will need to come out.  I'm also seeing it in the rear seal weeping and the pan leaking.  I'm guessing that the pressure was just to much.  I'll pull it out after the August Chumpcar races.  I really don't think I'll have time to mess with it until after that.

Mike

cobramatt    20

This is not quite as entertaining as a new episode of Duck Dynasty, but I keep checking back in to get the latest. 

LSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLSLS

THERE..........If anyone didn't know where I stood on the matter. 

Also you mentioned a page or two ago about dry sump vs. accusump. Just wait till you can do the dry sump to really make things right for what you want to do, IMO.

I thought you got an ARE pan from Mark a while back? 

post-13190-0-37248200-1374102394_thumb.jpg

duragg    18

Was thinking about Mike the other day while visiting the cage-people doing my jungle-gym project.

They just assembled an LS1 and were using a Jericho or similar 4 speed Dog Box.

I think in NASA at least it is a slight P/W penalty, but sounded like it would be a fun tranny and way lighter than T56.

Plus I tend to get lost in 6 speeds

Your accusump will have fun with me..

Mikelly    115

My first V8 transplant Zcar had the T56 in it and the thing weighed easily 170# when coupled with the centerforce 153tooth flywheel available way back in 1998.

My latest combo has a TKO600 5speed. The weight in my combo really lies in the blowproof bellhousing and the clutch combo. That, the LS based motor, and the move from the Q45 rear to something else should net me 200# total savings in weight. That should bring the car well into the LOW 2400# range.

Mike

Mikelly    115

Yesterday morning I pulled the harmonic balancer off the crank and the oil seal came off with it... Think I found the "leak" in the motor.  I went ahead and picked up a new timing chain cover along with the seal kit.  The oil was drained and I went ahead and dropped the oil pan down so when I replace the timing cover it will be easy to get to.  The heat was so bad yesterday I called it a day.

Mike

Mikelly    115

So the motor is back together with a fresh timing cover and seal. It runs. I need to degrease the engine bay now and confirm there are no further leaks.

So I am done trying to do a draw type PCV evac setup. Mother Nature will have to live with one more car spewing oil fumes into the atmosphere. I have one valve cover with a double baffled breather on it, and the other going to an AllStar catch can/breather and I am done trying to make this car more complicated than it has to be. Hopefully the oiling issues have been resolved and I can get back to the other aero issues I would prefer to address, and oh, Driving the car on track without significant issues.

All that said, I suspect the next two weeks will be sidelined for the old Zcar. We are in the final prep for the 24hours of VIR with our ChumpCar entry. Next weekend and much of the following week will be devoted to that car as the race weekend is on August 9 10 11.

Mike

Mikelly    115

I put the car in the air night before last, running for five minutes with a number of higher RPM revs and didn't find evidence of any oil or coolant.  Believe the motor is back together for good until she is replaced in the fall...

Mike

jhm    116

Glad to hear it might be working well for you, Mike.  You should check out the next GripFest event at NCCAR this fall (Oct 26).  Event info can be found at the "Grip Syndicate" website and FB page.  It's a beautiful venue and a great event.  Would love to see your car there (and you, of course, too!   :icon46: )

Hope the motor holds up ok.

Mikelly    115

Hey man, I've been to that course many many times, as an instructor... I really like that place because it is so much fun.  I'll put it on the calendar!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Mikelly    115

So after all the work on the chumpcar and the resulting race weekend effort, I just didnt have it in me to wrench the Zcar. That said, I came back home to find the motor leaking oil yet again. I will have to remove the motor and resolve the oil pan now.

While I am at it, I will go ahead and replace the slave cylinder setup with the threaded collar and hydraulic release bearing setup made by Tilton I have had sitting in my cabinet for a few years.

Maybe start on that whole motor pulling next week...Just pulled the chumpcar driveline this evening...

Mike

Mikelly    115

I hadnt been to a junkyard is many years, until today. My kid asked me to go with him and look for a hood and grill surround for his BMW E36 track car. What a hoot... I was looking at all sorts of parts, remembering back to when I had 18 cents to rub together and the scavenger hunts for Zcar parts I used to take in that very yard. Was a little nostalgic. Lot of fun...

I now have some ideas for motor swaps for the chumpcar and possibly a source for some other ideas for the ZCar.

Mike

Mikelly    115

I'll be at NASA VIR in October, hanging out with Matt and the MTI guys.  Right now I'm just shopping and getting ideas for a platform.  I may jump into othe deep end of the pool over the winter.

Mike