HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

So I was wondering what CCWs would look like on my car, and since I still have Jim's red Zcar at my place...

b0490308.jpg

3a463aab.jpg

74a1be9b.jpg

For some reason Jim decided he needed to run the same tire size as his C5Z06 had, and bought 17X9 fronts and 18X11 rears. He also had them offset in the rear so wide that I bet there's nearly and inch clearance at the rear strut housing... So if I order a set (and I likely will because these are gorgious on my car) they'll be 18s, probably with black centers.

Mike

Hate to bring up old posts but found this while googling other day....does anyone know the offset and tire sizes that were used on this CCW setup? Looking to get a set for my Z and like the fitment of these.

Those are actually for sale.  Tom Harris bought the red Zcar they were on and he's interested in selling them.  I believe they are an 18X11 and 17X9 with zero offset on both.  The CCWs I gave you the specs for in the PM are for the BLACK ccws on my car now.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Do you know if they make the same black CCW wheels you have in a 4 lug pattern? I'm growing tired of roats and really like the spider web design of the CCW wheels but not really finding many options with a deep dish and 4 lug

CCW made my wheels and they are awesome. I called BBS up the road from us (MTI Racing). They knew who we were and even offered a discount. I indicated that I wanted the same three piece race wheels that I had on my first 240 race car 28 years ago, just not 15inch. They said they no longer made the "snowflake" pattern but had the mold and would reproduce it for me, how many sets did I want. I said we probably were going with three sets, one for rains and two for slicks. He said no problem that would be $30,000. There was a long period of silence as I was getting up off the floor and tryng to catch my breath. I said I really appreciated his time and would get the specs and call him back. 

I obviously was born at night but not last night...................I can build someone a great track car for $30k.

I called CCW and they were able to make the three piece race wheels I wanted for $2,800 a set. (THATS ALL 4.) They called it their Classic pattern with a stepped lip and would anodize them in gold and it would take around a month to get them. If anyone has seen my car in person you would attest that the wheels are very period correct and look outstanding. I highly recommend CCW and have used them on numerous projects, all with great results. They work on their own time and dont like to be rushed, so dont order them and call them every four days wanting to know where your wheels are. 

I cant get into exact set backs but will say that mine are 17 x 10.5 and 17 x 12.5. I run Hoosier R6 315/30zr17 front and 335/30zr17 rear. 

post-13190-0-22413000-1366917780_thumb.jpg

Yup.  I can't say enough good about CCW and their customer support.  I've had their wheels on my high HP Porsche and now on the Zcar, built to my specs.  No complaints at all and glad I opted for the anodized finish on the wheels...  Still looks amazing 2 years later!

So the list is growing shorter and shorter, so what do we do now?  We make a new list, right???  I'm going to knock out the alignment today and then drive the car later this week to insure the car will live for some extended drives on track. 

That said, the new list will include the following:

Removable drivers and Passenger door windows, so I can have the option of towing with my open trainer.

Hood vents like Matt Isbell installed in his fenders, but actually in the hood.

Install the carbon fiber scoops I got from Reaction research a while ago... I plan to put those on the side of the front fender.

Create some lower side skirts that will run from the TC boxes to the rear tires.  I suspect these will be three piece jobs and will require Dzeus fasteners so I can remove them to jack the car up. 

Rear vents behind the rear wheels.  I plan to use powder coated black mesh for these.  I also plan to actually make air guides to help channel the turbulant air to the vents, ala Porsche.

Sectioned front struts.  I need to lose some height on the front end.  It's 5 inches off the tarmac.   

Last but most expensive is to start throwing money towards the build up of that LS1.  I Need to have the shortblock completely built and then consider the heads/cam selection.  I also need to price all of this out, because if the cost rivals the price of that LS376, I may just bite the bullet and go that route instead...

Mike

Was aligning the car this evening...

943576_644077575608670_892630658_n_zps62

Everything seems correct on the front, with R Camber at -3.0 L camber at -3.2/ L  caster at +4.3 R Caster at +4.4 with toe 1/16th total out.  Rear is at R camber at -2.8 L camber at -2.9 and the toe is about 1/8th!!! total IN.  Gotta fix that.  I did unbolt the rear suspension bits over the fall last year when I was doing the mustache bar mounts.  So that's probably where the toe got jacked... I'll resolve it asap! 

Made a bit of progress this evening.  Wrapped up string alignment on the car and removed a tad bit of toe out up front and toe in at the rear!

Aligningthecar_zps0c571724.jpg316031_645082685508159_993485355_n_zps98

And I started installing some more carbon bits to help with the air flow around and under the car:

247555_645013728848388_583634819_n_zps13

179479_645081922174902_1626938464_n_zpsb

577493_645082115508216_1185217434_n_zpsd

She's back together, but I'm having to completely redo the air intake for the Cutler Tbody.  I'll use a specter  air intake snorkle  and run 4 inch ducting down the the K&N airfilter that we'll mount in the air box with the radiator and the oil cooler.  At least it will get a clear dose of air outside the engine bay.

485502_646391555377272_1708744973_n_zps6

My next project will consist of forming the lower rocker panel conversion.  I will form some channel trays that funnel air from the TC Rod box area, and come out infront of and blocking the rear tire face.

Ah yes... The elusive hood vent... Remember that Mustang I just bought? 

I stumbled across these while planning my build of the 2012 GT I had just purchased in March, forgot where I saw them, and then MATT found them and steered me back to them on Facebook!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmc-hood-vents-cf.html

I used epoxy to attach them.

Mike

Door windows cut from a sheet of lexan work fine for a temporary fix to the rain and trailer towing debris concerns.

I just traced them out from an old window.

I glued on a small block on the inside bottom of the window (level with the top of the door) to push the window against the upper door trim piece.

Two pin clips hold the temp window in via holes in the door/lexan drilled once I got the window in place.

Takes about 2-3 minutes to put them in/out.

Gnoze, I have something in the works.  Hopefully will be as easy to work with as the units we had for our spec miata.

Here's a pic of my revised cold air induction.  We had to modify the blockoff panel for the upper grill and had to rework some ducting.

IMG_6983_zps9536833b.jpg

I need to bleed the brakes and change the oil, then we'll be ready to rock and roll for the track next Friday-Sunday.

Mike

I have no idea why we have three duplicate posts in that last interaction...

anyway, tonight I installed the latest versions of the intake. I also went ahead and fabricated a visor for the touch screen so I could see the screen better in sunlight.

I want to take a moment here and say a word about Ross Corrigan. I have known Ross since HybridZ was started. I have bought parts from Ross, chatted with him on the phone a number of times, disagreed, and chastised him over the years. I have also admired the man and the enthusiast.

Today Ross' father posted that Ross has terminal cancer and was given but a few weeks to live. I can not express how sad I am to hear this news.

We come here to learn, share and be a family. I can not say I was always the best of friends to Ross over the years, but I can tell you guys this much. Ross did more for the Zcar community with his innovative ideas and willingness to take risk to produce products for the community than 99% of Zcar owners out there. Ross' commitment to the community was not always ideal due to his career but Ross did the best he could while managing a very successful career as an engineer in Canada.

I pray that Ross either makes a miraculous comeback or is taken quickly and with as little pain as possible. And I can only assume that he is going to a far more understanding place where another great mind will be utilized for greater good.

Godspeed to The Corrigan Family

Edited by Mikelly
  • Like 1