HybridZ

Wigenout-S30's Z

Are those ZG's from MSA? Let me know what you think about the fitment/quality. I'm also game to see your install as well, as another install thread just for a different perspective on the same thing is always good.

I got the ZG flares from Classic Datsun. The quality and fitment seems really good!

Does it not bug you to cut up those nice, original Nissan fenders? :hs:

Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but man oh man, I couldn't bear to do that to my beautiful original fenders.

LOl I wont lie,, it is scary but man I dont want a stock bodied S30. If I wanted a all original Z, I would have a bone stock car and not touch it. I really like the direction I am headed with the Z and cannot wait to get her back on the road! I am going for a simi aggresive subtle old school look. It will all come together when I get the flares on as well as my new hood and eventually new paint.

Edited by wigenOut-S30

• 4 years later...

Wow, it has been a loooooooooooooooong time since I have updated this thread... Well in 2011, I went back to school to finish up my BA degree.. In the middle of that, (2012ish) I broke the KA trans.. I didn't want to work on the Z and lose focus of school.. I finished school and my Z just sat for a pretty long while.. I lost motivation,  Well I am motivated again and back working on the Z.. I found another KA trans and took my old one out and apart. I found the original 280ZX counter shaft bearing is what failed. I ordered a new counter shaft bearing and installed it on the KA trans and then swapped the bell housing.. While the Z was down, I replaced the leaky front main seal and wrapped the down pipe. I am installing a new boost gauge and soon will install a water temp gauge and oil temp gauge.  I hope to be back on the road here soon and back in boost.

IMG_20140914_195807_698_zps862a0cc4.jpg

IMG_20140913_151741_847_zpsdb7c9755.jpg

IMG_20140914_182433_102_zps2c130396.jpg

Edited by wigenOut-S30

I like it a lot better, I make about 400 wheel and 400ish TQ.. it has taken the abuse over the last 5 years. The only reason it failed on me was because of the 280ZX countershaft bearing.. it was the original out of my ZX. I have a brand new nissan OEM countershaft bearing in the new KA trans now.. I should be putting it back in tonight.. I might be going Z32 trans pretty soon and the full KA swap with driveshaft and trans mount might be up for sale soon.

I like it a lot better, I make about 400 wheel and 400ish TQ.. it has taken the abuse over the last 5 years. The only reason it failed on me was because of the 280ZX countershaft bearing.. it was the original out of my ZX. I have a brand new nissan OEM countershaft bearing in the new KA trans now.. I should be putting it back in tonight.. I might be going Z32 trans pretty soon and the full KA swap with driveshaft and trans mount might be up for sale soon.

Is there a write up out there on the KA transmission swap?

Yeah there is a really good write up.. I really am thinking about selling my complete drop in setup though to switch over to Z32 trans..  Let me know if you are interested.

Here is the write up for the KA swap.  This write up is for a 240Z so the trans mount is different.. I had to modify my stock 5spd Nissan trans mount to work.

Copy and paste the link below

zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

Edited by wigenOut-S30

The link is broken for me - leads to a page not found error I may be interested granted it isn't cost prohibitive, as I'm about to sink a boat load into my project doing body and paint work. Let me know what you are asking if you end up parting with it.