HybridZ

Round 2. Anyone want CNC Parts?

HoustonZ

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love some shift plates, in 4spd and 5 spd variety, that bolt into the stock location and replace a shift boot somehow.

Something like this:

112_0204_n2k2_si2.jpg

Just an idea. I don't know if these are already available reasonably or not.

That would be awesome.

By eyeballing the stock shifter, I would say it's certainly possible. I'm thinking that a 3/8" thick piece of billet that simply bolts into the stock boot plate holes would work fine. The hard part will be getting the position of the gates just right. That is going to make the difference between a clunky gear change and a smooth one.

I'm thinking that a 3/8" thick piece of billet that simply bolts into the stock boot plate holes would work fine.

That's what I was hoping for, a direct bolt in. Man if these take off you might have MSA hitting you up for selling rights :cool:

If you need me to get measurements for a 4spd I'd be happy too. Just tell me what to do.

The only possible problem I see is the exact placement of the tranny in relationship to the tunnel. That will effect where the boot plate holes are vs. the shifter rod. Not a big problem though. I think by oversizing the bolt holes we could deal with any small changes that result from the transmission being out of place.

Glad to see the interest. I'll go out to my car later tonight and grab the boot plate to start taking measurements.

How about a cap for the Turbo Dizzy. I run coil packs, but still use the dizzy for my CAS. The original dizzy cap with no wires on it looks a little out of place. It would be cool to just bolt up a cover made out of aluminum.

but I like the "blue tooth" plug wires. lol!!!

Hi guys, I don't want to be a party pooper, but I think you should read this tread I started a couple years ago. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=738688

And here I pasted the two most analytic replies from the tread for you lazies LOL!!

I once drove a red 308 around Canby, (a little town just south of Portland), a good 30-40 minute drive in and around town. The shifter throws were long. FWIW, the car was stock, power was on par with a stock L-28 powered 280 and the handling was on par with a stock early S-30. Lots of body lean, way soft suspension etc. What it does bring to the table is lots of “chicks dig it” factor and the whine of that single plane V-8 crank exhaust note.… a sport bike BRAAAAAAP… Ahhhhhhhhhhh… pure heaven…

I have also LOVED those exposed Ferrari shift gates. Back in the early ’90’s I took the time to map out the shifter travel of the Datsun 5 speed in my '75 280 because I wanted a Ferrari like exposed shift gate. To just install a plate on the center console with slots for the shifter wont work because the shifter throws aren‘t long enough, especially the side to side motion as the shifter shaft overlaps itself at that height above the shifter pivot. You would have to build a box that stands up off the center console some distance for it to work and then you would have this tall butt ugly box protruding up from your center console.

Now if you just custom built a taller center console, (sort of makes your Z interior into tight little cocoon), then it could be made to work visually as well.

I just don't think the shift throws are long enough for the chrome gates. You don't WANT your shift throws to be long enough to have the chrome gates.

I drove a Testarossa. Got in it, looked around and thought "Damn, this is one expensive Fiat" the leather on the dash was all cockeyed and it just looked junky on the inside. Only drove it a couple of blocks to get it to the shop, pulled it in and tried to pop the trunk and the damn handle came off in my hand with a frayed section of what looked like bicycle brake cable. Then I had to beat the knock-offs with a lead hammer that was all mangled from previous wheel removal attempts, after I finally got the trunk open with a pair of channel locks. Needless to say at the end of the whole exercise I was less than impressed with the car. Oh, and you know those strakes on the side? Makes the sill of the Testarossa seriously about a foot wide. Really hard to get in and out of those stupid things. They sold the car a couple weeks later for $80K... :rolleyesg

Mmm good to know, thanks for the quotes.

I was indeed wondering about the throw length, and if it had enough travel down close to the tranny like the console is.

We'll see what Cold Fusion has to say after he mocks it up. Maybe we can have like, a little groove or indentation instead of a full deep gate. It might end up looking like the little slots for a triptronic tranny, but that would do fine personally. Anything along those lines would look better than a boot IMO.