HybridZ

Upgrade Motoring Carpet Kits

Challenger

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

To add the the stock interiors idea...the carpet feels kinda like the carpeting that ski boats use on the floor. It's the kinda stuff if you get crumbs, dry grass pieces, etc vacuuming them out is a bitch =/ anyone bought from datsunrestore?

Anyone bite the bullet yet? The upholstery shop told me they buy the ACC brand carpet kits. Their site has a ton of options but the kits change from year to year.

My issue now is whick year kit to order. I think I want a later 280 kit to get the rear wheel covers included in the kit, I think the earlier Z's just had vynil back there so it's not included in the kit, just the rear floor pc.

Thoughts? I think I'll order the 280 kit and request no holes to be cut in it.

Anyone bite the bullet yet? The upholstery shop told me they buy the ACC brand carpet kits. Their site has a ton of options but the kits change from year to year.

My issue now is whick year kit to order. I think I want a later 280 kit to get the rear wheel covers included in the kit, I think the earlier Z's just had vynil back there so it's not included in the kit, just the rear floor pc.

Thoughts? I think I'll order the 280 kit and request no holes to be cut in it.

I just ordered the kit for a 280z since it has all the wheelwells and stuff. I Order the older carpet not the nylon. Ill see how it turns out when i get it.

I was following a current thread over at ClassicZCars.com on carpet kits, and ran across this site "Datsun Sprit" mentioned in the posts. I checked out his kit, which has a great photo if the pieces laid out. I asked Eiji (owner) if I could order the kit w/ out the trans tunnell holes cut in it and he said "no problem" !!! So I'm ordering his kit, w/ no cut holes and the rear wheel/strut tower covers in a dark silver.

Here are some shots of the light silver installed, looks nice.

http://www.datsunspirit.com/s31-carpet.html

I was following a current thread over at ClassicZCars.com on carpet kits, and ran across this site "Datsun Sprit" mentioned in the posts. I checked out his kit, which has a great photo if the pieces laid out. I asked Eiji (owner) if I could order the kit w/ out the trans tunnell holes cut in it and he said "no problem" !!! So I'm ordering his kit, w/ no cut holes and the rear wheel/strut tower covers in a dark silver.

Here are some shots of the light silver installed, looks nice.

http://www.datsunspirit.com/s31-carpet.html

Bill, I have been looking at the 13 piece kit from Z Specialties:

http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_19/products_id/574

So is the kit you are getting from Datsun Spirit include all those pieces? What was the total price on the Datsu Spriit kit?

They sound like simular kits. I asked Datsun Spirit if they could NOT make the die cuts in the trans tunel, which he could. Cost was like $320 for the 9pc kit + $60 for the rear tire/tower covers + $20 shipping for a total of $404.95 shipped, and 2-3 weeks lead time due to the die cut deletes, which is more than datsunstore's.

One thing that really sold me was the number of detailed pictures of the kit from DS, I wanted to SEE what I was getting, the other was the extreamly fast email responce from Eiji and his ability to meet my needs.

If you buy the datsun store product, would be interesting to see if they are the exact same kit or not.

I am leaning toward Datsun Spirit for the same reasons you ordered from them. I got an email from Eji this morning, and my last question before ordering is regarding the fit of the kit. I have heard from other sources that installation requires a significant amount of cutting and cajoling. Waiting to hear from Eji if that is true for their kit as well.

I will end up having to cut a bit anyway as my roll bar attaches to my wheel wells. I haven't decided yet how I want to do that, either cut around it or install over the mounts to hide them.

I have also installed some dynamat/brown bread for sound deadening. I am thinking about adding more material called "Ensolite" from http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr. Anyone else used their stuff? Sounds like it cuts out the low frequency noise (tire noise, diff noise, my incredibly loud electric fuel pump, etc.) that dynamat-like products don't.

mgmzone, i'm going to by that ensolite this week and see how it sounds, and probably gonna grab a 2+2 carpet from datsunstore because I haven't seen any company that can even come close to their price.. I don't mind doing a little trimming. =]

Yes, the Ensolite will help cut out other frequency's. The other problem I see, Is that Brown Bread is not comparable to Dynamat or another quality sound deadener.

I am leaning toward Datsun Spirit for the same reasons you ordered from them. I got an email from Eji this morning, and my last question before ordering is regarding the fit of the kit. I have heard from other sources that installation requires a significant amount of cutting and cajoling. Waiting to hear from Eji if that is true for their kit as well.

I will end up having to cut a bit anyway as my roll bar attaches to my wheel wells. I haven't decided yet how I want to do that, either cut around it or install over the mounts to hide them.

I have also installed some dynamat/brown bread for sound deadening. I am thinking about adding more material called "Ensolite" from http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr. Anyone else used their stuff? Sounds like it cuts out the low frequency noise (tire noise, diff noise, my incredibly loud electric fuel pump, etc.) that dynamat-like products don't.

Now, are you talking about Brown Bread or RaamMat BXT. Yes, the RAAMmat is great stuff, don't know if there is a new brown bread but the old stuff sucked.

I have heard great things about brown bread. I have heard better things about their newer stuff, the BXT.

Be careful of the Z specialties "molded set" for 240Z. They are not molded...just cut in the corners by the tranny tunnel and sewn. Was I pissed!

Then the carpet for the strut towers was not gusseted. It looked like hell. I worked with him in length and he finally agreed that the tower piece was not designed correctly and he asked his suppier to fix the problem. I was called a fussy customer. What amazed me was how many heated discussions I had to have before they conceded.

Its all very disspointing......these sets cost a fair bit and the qaulity is fair...not great. Next time Im making my own.