HybridZ

TR's 260z L28 Build Thread

Videos and pics to come gentlemen :D

Something interesting.... before I dropped this motor in, I had to PB blast some rust out of cylinder 2 before I could get a full rotation out of the crank. After some blasting and coaxing I got it to rotate smoothly. When I did a compression check after getting the motor in, all cylinders (dry and cold) were 120-130psi, except #2 which was 0. After adding some oil, and cranking it longer, I got it up to 90, and eventually 100psi.

Long story short I've been running this motor for maybe two weeks now, and decided yesterday to do another compression check. Dry and cold, all cylinders were within 1-2psi of 100psi.

Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done too much till tonight, just been enjoying the boost. I still haven't installed my DIYat boost control stuff yet... soon to come hopefully. I did just buy a Meth kit, so that will have to go on later too.

I've upgraded from the MSII extra 2.0.1 code to 2.1.0, and it seems good so far. One weird thing is that TPSdot got even noisier than it already was, so I've started playing with EAE. City driving is awesome in comparison, very smooth. I need quite a bit of work on shifts and lean tip-in though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found these looking for something else:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-001&Category_Code=BCS

T3 flanges to use as a turbo spacer! That would have been MUCH better than the version I fabbed up out of plate steel. It's thicker... and not gank and custom lol. I might swap to one of those if I ever have to take my turbo back off.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice progress dude.

I noticed in your sig you list your 260z as a 1974.5. Unless someone has swapped out your front end bumper, grille, turn signals, and lower valence, you have an early 260z, not the later 260z. The blinker location is a dead giveaway for the year split.

Just thought you'd wanna know.

Take care.

Lol well, it's true. I have a nice set of 240z tails and panels sitting on a shelf, waiting for me to not be lazy.

EDIT: Ugh.... have I really still not made a video since the holset swap? I need to get on that!

You mean the ones I picked up for you? heh.

Yeah I noticed that, how come I get up a video of my POS Z that will never run while you have no videos of that incredible setup?

• 1 month later...

Long overdue update...

A few weeks ago I got fed up with the dangly boost gauge I had double-sided-taped to the steering column. I picked up a Autometer gauge pod (the standalone type) and mounted it to the steering column, and I'm VERY happy with it.

IMG_0108.jpg

Yesterday I installed a Walbro GSL-392 (255), and it's seeming to make quite a bit of difference. My duty cycle is way down, and the top end just seems... stronger and smoother. I don't think my NA 280z pump was doing the trick, heh. One of these day's I'll need to upgrade my fuel lines and do a fuel cell.

Long overdue update...

One of these day's I'll need to upgrade my fuel lines and do a fuel cell.

Overkill. A 280z tank would help with the EFI though since it baffled.

I am running a 400+ HP LSx and I am still using the stock 280z fuel lines and I don't have any issues past 6500+ RPM. This is also with a bone stock GM LS1 fuel pump.

Hmm... well I know the fuel cell is overkill, I just want it :D

As for the lines... my 260z was originally carburated, and I was under the impression that the lines used for carbs were too small to properly "support" EFI, even in comparison to the 280z lines.

On a side note, I think I need to work on how I drive the car. When I was re-tuning for the new pump, I noticed that I was getting a lower PW cruising around town between 2000-3000 rpm than I was cruising below 2000 rpm. I guess this means I've been "lugging" the engine and using more fuel... I only get about 14-16mpg around town. The motor just sounds better cruising around in 3rd than it does in 2nd between 20-40mph, but I guess it's not as fuel efficient that way *shrug*