HybridZ

1jz or rb25

linchpin360

i cant decide between the 1jz or the rb25. im trying to think of pros and cons but it seems to come out personal preference. does anyone know where i might be able to get swap mounts for either? mckinney doesnt seem to do much with s130s. mostly only s30 chassis.

thanks.

steve.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to have to go with custom mounts for the 1JZ, though if you go with the RB25 from what I understand there IS a factory mount you can use, but the details escape me.

At any rate I believe there were RB20 powered S130 cars from factory in japan, but I might be way off base. I'll see what I can dig up.

Stock skyline mounts work fine, you're just going to have to make custom mounts for the tranny if I'm correct. There weren't an s130 powere RB20 cars to my knowledge however the z31 (200zr) brought the RB20. Get stock mounts and an oil pan off the 200zr and you should be fine for the most part. I was going to do this swap a while ago but I'm probably gonna go L28et since it's cheaper.

S130s and S30s use the same mounts. mounts for one will work in the other.

Go RB25. aside from keeping it nissan, it will also keep it bolt in. hell, If you get an RB25DET engine, and an RB20DET 5spd trans, take the front half of the bellhousing off and you can bolt it to a standard datsun 5spd. its like the reverse of a 240SX trans swap. then all you need is the engine mounts and oil pan. trans mount would be stock as the driveshaft would be too.

Not to rain on anyones parade, but if you think your going to do the RB25det swap it is alot more involved than a simple bolt in. The 200zr mounts do work, but the engine is fairly high from what I have heard. If your going through all the work to wire it up and put it in, get the machined aluminum mounts with the supra isolators and it will drop in, lower and further back with the 200zr oil pan. Other than moving the transmission mounts back you also need a driveshaft. Due to the fact you have a s130 you are lucky in that the wiring is a little easier than on the earlier Z's. I have no knowledge on the RB20 to Datsun 5 speed swap which was mentioned earlier in this thread, I would try for a RB25 transmission as it is strong enough all the hi-powered RB26DETT guys are using it and some flywheels and pressure plates, are compatible with the N/A 300zx. All of this stuff is documented on the site so basically read everything in the RB forum. I have no idea about the difficulties of the 1J you mentioned.

Cheers

I never said the stock datsun trans wouldnt break, I just said you can make it a complete bolt in tho. although, as long as you arent drag racing it day in and day out with slicks, a datsun trans in good condition should be fine until you start hitting up on around 450 to 500hp. plus, for comparable HP levels, the RB will put out less torque than a similar HP level L28ET. and torque is what kills things.

If you plan on going all out, getting custom mounts, driveshaft, and all that stuff, go with whatever motorset is the cheapest.

and torque is what kills things.

yeah but torque is also what makes a car fun, lol

Look at how much power you want, decide from there. It's going to be an expensive, labor intensive, badass project, so decide what you want. look at the motors from the top, decide which would look cooler in your engine bay.

i really want the 1j. it makes more power than the rb. it would look cooler than the rb, being as its a toyota plant in a datsun/nissan. i just dont want to get in over my head. ive done swaps on hondas and toyotas and mitsubishis. actually my s130 isnt a stock turbo. me and my brother did the swap like 5 years ago. he sold the car. i bought it back. i just want to do something to one up that swap and not have it completely blow up in my face.

yeah, it's going to be a bitch, but so will an rb25. doing each project the right way, i don't think it will be any more work than an rb25.

do what you really really want, imagine getting all the bullsh*t done and going "f*ck, i wish i had..."

no. just do it.

well im going for power. and shock value. and im just plain sick of my l28. its brand new. it only has like 6000 miles on it. it doesnt produce enough torque for me.

Well now I'm pretty confused, because things aren't adding up.

You want more torque, so lets go with a more modern reiteration of the same engine... Both choices are still an inline 6 and will have VERY similar torque paths. In fact I'd even go so far as to say that I've seen, on average, more torque per HP on turbo L series than RB or 1JZ. Reason being is that the head doesn't flow as well and doesn't create as much power up top, so until to improve the head dramatically your HP figures are low but the torque numbers aren't as effected (because it's high RPM that's effected moreso than the low RPM, HP and torque are the same thing).

So now I'm left here wondering if something is wrong with your engine.

Or if you're used to anther vehicle with high torque.

Or maybe you've chosen these motors because you thought they'd be "cool" or you know someone with one, or you just think newer is better.

There's many other motors with just as much shock value with more torque potential.

Also remember that turbo torque is way different than NA torque. That's a discussion all in it's own.

So if you can, please give us more detail on why you want to do a swap, and why you like these two motor options.

EDIT: Oh yea, the S30 isn't nearly as wide in the dash area as the S130. It'd be a true hack job getting it to fit. I'd recommend just going with a custom dash, probably just as easy/hard as putting another car's dash in.