HybridZ

1jz or rb25

linchpin360

im used to working on and driving high horse/ high torque cars. the 1jz is proven time and time again (just like the 2jz) to produce mass amounts of power with very little effort. there is nothing wrong with my l28. i just want something that i know just a little more about. about the 2 options, ive seen rb25 swapped zs. they are absolutely amazing. ive seen very few 1jz swapped zs. they are equally as amazing if not more. ive always thought about what other motor i could swap into it. now that i have moved back from new orleans, i have the opportunity to do so. thats pretty much it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it really depends on how much money you want to spend. When i try to decide on hybrid swaps i goto the local pick-a-part and see what can easily be had.. If i had ALOT of money id go RB or SR without a doubt.

Since i wanted the best bang for the buck i put a 350 chevy in mine...

if i could do it all over again id put in '86-'95 5.0 ford or 2.3L ford l4 ,KADE from u.s. 240sx's because There are TONS of parts 15 mins down the street at pick-a-parts waiting to be had CHEAP

1jz or RB25 - 1jz beacuse parts are easy to find localy..... have you thought of 7mgt? TONS of parts. and since your going turbo anyway only a few more pounds of boost the 7mgte will make same power as 1jz

check out this site http://www.racetep.com/7mgt.htm

Which is about as far as you can go from a torque-filled motor. Though I too love the wankels.

Member "auxilary" here is doing a very in depth rotary swap. Look him up and read his threads.

I do think you'd be the first wankel 280ZX, but not Z.

really it sounds to me like you oughtta get an s30... you've got quite a bit of work into your current car if it's only got 6k miles on the motor.

start from the car you want, and work from there. if you want an s30 looking dash in an s130, look at the plethora of "build your own dash" posts here, there's literally nothing you couldn't do with the support and help of some of these crazy guys.

as for the motor, if all you want is a little more torque, it'd be easier to go with a nitrous or turbo setup, and run something like megasquirt to handle the tuning, than it would be to go with an rb or a jz swap. If your motor has 6k miles on it and is in good working order, the extra power from either forced induction setups will not harm the motor any.

Earlier he said his car had a L28ET in it... so I assumed he already had a turbo motor. Those things make torque like a V8... Hence my serious confusion thus far...

linchpin - Is your engine really a L28ET (meaning a turbo charged motor with a P90 head and a valve cover that says "turbo" on it)? Or just a regular L28E and you got them confused?

my car is turbo. l28et. no question about it. it really is not that fast. it is quick...but i want something more than that. im really thinkin about just keeping the motors thats in it though. im really looking for like 400-500 hp. i want something that is going to keep up with my fc.

big hp and tq can be made with an l28et with minor mods, i was making some good power with the stock bottom end and bigger turbo and injs. I love my rb25 tho and i would not go back to an l28 even if someone paid me. The rb is so much smoother and imo more torque. i get a huge smile on my face when the rb spools up and breaks the tires loose in three gears :D

im thinking about doing the z31 maf and ecu and see if that helps too. what size injectors do you think i should use?

I am beginning to think you may not really be aware of the potential that lurkes beneath the surface of your L28ET. You definitely have some homework to read more about your current motor. I think once you read up you will be pleasantly surprised at what it can really do and get more familiar with mod options.

Not trying to change your mind on which swap to go with or to even stick with the L28ET, just seems like you would benefit from more info before you make a final decision.

IMO your L28ET powered S130 should have no issues keeping up with any FC in a straight line unless the FC in question has tons of money poured into it.

Handling is a different story, but the S130 has potential.

Boost controller, FMIC, BOV, and a FPR. If you tune the fuel pressure right along with the AFM you should be able to put down stock RB25 numbers without breaking anything. It's pretty easy to get these motors up to 300hp. Do some research please.

Where these motors start to really hit a wall is around 500hp, or around the low 400's wheel HP. That's plenty of HP for some, but others have spent the time and money to take these motors well beyond those limits. There's tons of threads on the subject though, so happy reading.

IMO your L28ET powered S130 should have no issues keeping up with any FC in a straight line unless the FC in question has tons of money poured into it.

Handling is a different story, but the S130 has potential.

Boost controller, FMIC, BOV, and a FPR. If you tune the fuel pressure right along with the AFM you should be able to put down stock RB25 numbers without breaking anything. It's pretty easy to get these motors up to 300hp. Do some research please.

Where these motors start to really hit a wall is around 500hp, or around the low 400's wheel HP. That's plenty of HP for some, but others have spent the time and money to take these motors well beyond those limits. There's tons of threads on the subject though, so happy reading.

I think im gonna try the jwt 450hp ecu. along with a few other upgrades like a new fmic and bov. and an r200. if its still not what i want ill just put in a sbc or something.