HybridZ

1jz or rb25

linchpin360

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my car is a 79. it used to have a carb'd l28 and 4 speed. then my brother and i swapped out that setup and put in the turbo motor and i believe the turbo trans.(i was i think 14 years old. i dont remember.) we had a a turbo diff for it but its gone now. i think my dad junked it while i was in new orleans. if it is an r200 it should have a finned cover right?

No, almost all R200 diffs will NOT have the finned cover. The finned cover is usually, but not always, on LSD R200 diffs. And not ALL (though most) LSD R200 diffs will have the finned cover.

Well unless you have a GL or a 4 seater than it's an R180, though an R200 swap isn't too involved in the S130.

Oh, and there's no way your 79' came stock with carbs, so either it was converted from EFI to carb, or it had a previous engine swap.

No, almost all R200 diffs will NOT have the finned cover. The finned cover is usually, but not always, on LSD R200 diffs. And not ALL (though most) LSD R200 diffs will have the finned cover.

Well unless you have a GL or a 4 seater than it's an R180, though an R200 swap isn't too involved in the S130.

Oh, and there's no way your 79' came stock with carbs, so either it was converted from EFI to carb, or it had a previous engine swap.

i know that it didnt come from the factory like that, but thats what was in it when we bought the car. do you know what all is involved in putting an lsd r200 in?

well im going for power. and shock value. and im just plain sick of my l28. its brand new. it only has like 6000 miles on it. it doesnt produce enough torque for me.

With that said a RB or 1J won't make you happy either unless you are on boost and then you may as well have kept the L28. If you want torque you need displacement. A 2.5l motor won't be any better. 1UZ's and VH45's are dirt cheap. There are people making 500rwhp with less than 10 psi on pump gas and stock compression, plus you'll have almost twice the off boost torque of the RB25 or 1J. Even n/a, VH45's make around 275 rwhp. If you are set on straight six, I would go 2JZ, just for the extra displacement, never go smaller.

With that said a RB or 1J won't make you happy either unless you are on boost and then you may as well have kept the L28. If you want torque you need displacement. A 2.5l motor won't be any better. 1UZ's and VH45's are dirt cheap. There are people making 500rwhp with less than 10 psi on pump gas and stock compression, plus you'll have almost twice the off boost torque of the RB25 or 1J. Even n/a, VH45's make around 275 rwhp. If you are set on straight six, I would go 2JZ, just for the extra displacement, never go smaller.

my l28 is boosted. ive decided to try to get it going a lil faster with it.

another thing to consider if you want it to be better off the line is to go with an auto with a big stall converter.

Say a 1JZ or 2JZ with a GT35R and a 3200 stall, would be wicked quick in a Z.

no offense to you....but i will never drive an auto. they may be quicker off the line but they will never be as much fun on the road.

I think im gonna try the jwt 450hp ecu. along with a few other upgrades like a new fmic and bov. and an r200. if its still not what i want ill just put in a sbc or something.

I had a JWT mod for a Z31 ecu in '96. While it certainly worked well IMHO you would be better off with a standalone so you can tune it a bit more to your liking. Just my .02.

Good Luck.

240z_1_thumb.jpg

Wow, are we speaking to a brick wall? Search. Note clifton's signature - L28ET w/ 417 WHEEL HP. There are others on this board with over 400hp in their L28ET. Go find them, read all of their threads, find out what worked, what didn't work.

The search button is your friend.

Wow, are we speaking to a brick wall? Search. Note clifton's signature - L28ET w/ 417 WHEEL HP. There are others on this board with over 400hp in their L28ET. Go find them, read all of their threads, find out what worked, what didn't work.

The search button is your friend.

i really just meant the reliable part...i have all stock valvetrain and internals.

well im going for power. and shock value. and im just plain sick of my l28. its brand new. it only has like 6000 miles on it. it doesnt produce enough torque for me.

to be honest, nothing special about a 1JZ, 2JZ, or RB engine in a z.

They are all great engines, but if you want shock value, stuff a VQ or a 3-rotor in there.

I think the 1/2JZ and RB25/26/30 are cooler, but it depends on who you're trying to shock.

You could install and run megasquirt for $1000. then do whatever the sh*t you want with your l28et. 300 rwhp sound good? $1300, cause you'll need a bigger turbo. When you already have a turbo, don't swap to another straight 6 just for more power unless you're going balls out.

$200 for an LC1

$150 for a v2.2 ms box

$200 for wiring

$200 for injectors and a fuel rail

$60 for a 240sx throttle body to run the right throttle position sensor

$100 for an MSD 6al box

~$300 for a holsett

~$200 for sensors

you're fcking set.

to be honest, nothing special about a 1JZ, 2JZ, or RB engine in a z.

They are all great engines, but if you want shock value, stuff a VQ or a 3-rotor in there.

I think the 1/2JZ and RB25/26/30 are cooler, but it depends on who you're trying to shock.

i would love to shove a wankel in my s130. i think ill just wait until i get a different shell for that project.

You could install and run megasquirt for $1000. then do whatever the sh*t you want with your l28et. 300 rwhp sound good? $1300, cause you'll need a bigger turbo. When you already have a turbo, don't swap to another straight 6 just for more power unless you're going balls out.

$200 for an LC1

$150 for a v2.2 ms box

$200 for wiring

$200 for injectors and a fuel rail

$60 for a 240sx throttle body to run the right throttle position sensor

$100 for an MSD 6al box

~$300 for a holsett

~$200 for sensors

you're fcking set.

well income tax comes pretty soon so ill have to keep that in mind. will a holset bolt onto my mani?