HybridZ

Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

Well I finally got some time to get over the foundry to pour the first manifold.

If you are new and need to come up to speed here's a link to the design stage

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121021

And a link to the pattern making

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121478

Here is the core assembly all glued together with the stainless tubes and the bronze bushings in place

DSC_0008_Large_.JPG

This is the pattern with the flask around it.

DSC_0013_Large_.JPG

Ramming the sand

DSC_0018_Large_.JPG

This is the drag or bottom of the mold with the pattern removed

DSC_0024_Large_.JPG

Setting the core. Cores makes castings hollow.

DSC_0029_Large_.JPG

We decided to do a dual pour. Don't try this at home! I'm running the camera by the way.

DSC_0044_Large_.JPG

The moment of truth.

DSC_0054_Large_.JPG

I'm really happy with this

DSC_0056_Large_.JPG

I ran out of time but tomorrow I'll shake out the cores and post a few more pics of the casting.

Derek

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

holly &$&$&$ that is awesome derek i need to make it out to ocala to see that thing. or you could just take a detour and go back to ocala though daytona!!!! lol looks awesome... hrmm i might have to get one of these when your done....well i guess i will have to cut it and weld on a plenum though. cause you know i cant live with out boost!!!!

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

holly &$&$&$ that is awesome derek i need to make it out to ocala to see that thing. or you could just take a detour and go back to ocala though daytona!!!! lol looks awesome... hrmm i might have to get one of these when your done....well i guess i will have to cut it and weld on a plenum though. cause you know i cant live with out boost!!!!

That's why they make band saws and tig welders!

Looks like trumpets?,thats a manifold?-pretty cool anyways :-)

Well I figured if it doesn't work as a manifold I'd park a seal behind it, teach him a tune and go to work at a circus!

I'll knock the cores out later this morning and post a few pics

Derek

We decided to do a dual pour. Don't try this at home! I'm running the camera by the way.

DSC_0044_Large_.JPG

Pouring molten aluminum with a short sleeve shirt and no gloves... that is what I'm looking at there, right?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Manifold looks great, btw!

I wondered what took so long for someone to pick up on that!

Seriously both of these guys (one is the owner) have been doing this continuously since both were in high school and they're both in their early fifties. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe it because I'm like mister safety at my shop. Now when they pour bronze and iron it's a whole different story. They look like spacemen.

I don't want this to turn into a debate about foundry safety so if people want to go that direction then let's start a new thread.

Thanks

Derek

Pouring molten aluminum with a short sleeve shirt and no gloves... that is what I'm looking at there, right?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Manifold looks great, btw!

Derek, do you know what type of furnace they are using? A lift out crucible furnace? Tilting furnace or cupola furnace? I'd love to see some pictures of their setup. Also what type of sand are you guys using? I've been reading a lot of Steven Chastains book's with a lot of enjoyment and had always wanted to do what you're doing. http://stephenchastain.com/store.htm

Thanks,

Tyson

Now for the small world award. Steve is a frequent visitor to the foundry. He's known the owner for quite a few years and I've met him a few times. He's really a great guy and has a firm handle on the home brew "build it on a dime" mentality.

The foundry uses induction melters. They use Olivine green sand. I've got a bunch more pics that I'm going to be uploading to a gallery in the next few days. I'll let you know when I've got it done.

I'm sure we can work Kevin Bacon in here if we try hard enough!

Derek

Derek, do you know what type of furnace they are using? A lift out crucible furnace? Tilting furnace or cupola furnace? I'd love to see some pictures of their setup. Also what type of sand are you guys using? I've been reading a lot of Steven Chastains book's with a lot of enjoyment and had always wanted to do what you're doing. http://stephenchastain.com/store.htm

Thanks,

Tyson

Now for the small world award. Steve is a frequent visitor to the foundry. He's known the owner for quite a few years and I've met him a few times. He's really a great guy and has a firm handle on the home brew "build it on a dime" mentality.

The foundry uses induction melters. They use Olivine green sand. I've got a bunch more pics that I'm going to be uploading to a gallery in the next few days. I'll let you know when I've got it done.

I'm sure we can work Kevin Bacon in here if we try hard enough!

Derek

Thats awesome!!! I just ordered another one of his books, and decided to buy footloose too...(jk, no footloose) Can't wait to see the pictures and the finished product!! Jealousy and scheming is setting in :D .

Tyson