HybridZ

Purpose of U-clamp (exaust type) on early S30 steering racks?

I don't have pics yet of mine,But it is exactly like the one in the Black Dragon catalog 2006 Fall edition,page 84,just to the left of the #10 LH urethane rack mount bushing.It isn't in the Modern Motorsports catalog,and really dosen't seem to serve a purpose...:hs:

Mine is about an inch from the bushing/sidewall of the bushing channel,just like the schematic in the catalog,and isn't connected to anything.Is it a safety precaution if the steering rack slides from side to side?I'm going to leave it right where it is,it's just making me scratch my head wondering what the heck it does!

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting:...   I'm rebuilding my rack with new "Delrin" bushings from TTT.

This is ok to delete?  I suppose It isn't doing any harm but it does add that few extra grams of weight I am looking to delete...

• 1 year later...

Keep it. Car will hunt really bad without if There was a thread on this within the last year. Guy removed it and car was all over the road. Replaced it and car went straight again.

Was that even with poly bushings?

In the process of replacing to poly bushings, the rubber snub brushed off with minimal force. I suppose I could try and glue it back on. I'd wonder how it would cause the car to hunt. looks to only stop the rack from rotational forces. But I can't imagine how those forces would arise; perhaps from torque from the steering shaft combined with the geometry of the u-joints. Otherwise, perhaps it was a factory/assembly piece put in place to put the rack input shaft at the correct angle during installation. 

Thoughts?

Automotive "Goo" best product to stick the rubber to the metal? or maybe contact cement? RTV?

Edited by mtnickel

With poly rack bushings, that piece doesn't nothing.  The feel and response with poly is a big improvement and that piece was added to help reduce deflection with the stock rubber bushings.  You know that the cars originally geared for ride quality & comfort over outright performance, while also having sloppy bias ply tires.  You add wider radial tires and you can see why that piece would make a difference with the rubber bushings, but in this day & age, time to take out the rubber and go with poly. 

With poly rack bushings, that piece doesn't nothing.  The feel and response with poly is a big improvement and that piece was added to help reduce deflection with the stock rubber bushings.  You know that the cars originally geared for ride quality & comfort over outright performance, while also having sloppy bias ply tires.  You add wider radial tires and you can see why that piece would make a difference with the rubber bushings, but in this day & age, time to take out the rubber and go with poly. 

Even still, the deflection rationality doesn't compute with me. I think it's just there to keep the orientation correct and to stop the bar from being clamped at the wrong angle during assembly. The poly setup is probably sufficiently tight that it won't rotate, but I glued it back on with a rubber type silicone (shoe goo/automotive 'goo') anyways. Then I at least was able to clamp the rack at the proper angle.

With poly bushings being an exact fit for the rack & the mounts, along with the position the rack has to mount to the steering rack at the right angle, so you can't really mess up mounting the rack. I imagine that any deflection would be more from the force of the steering shaft trying to twist the rack than any side to side movement from the actual forces from the tie rods/wheels.

Gary, have you tried it? I'm betting you have. But, I have poly bushings and when I left the u-bolt off, my car wandered really bad and when going over grooved pavement like we have on heavily trafficked intersections, the car kinda went where ever it wanted to go. Replaced the u-bolt with the rubber pad touching the x-member, the car drive great. OP-why don't you like the u-bolt?

Gary, have you tried it? I'm betting you have. But, I have poly bushings and when I left the u-bolt off, my car wandered really bad and when going over grooved pavement like we have on heavily trafficked intersections, the car kinda went where ever it wanted to go. Replaced the u-bolt with the rubber pad touching the x-member, the car drive great. OP-why don't you like the u-bolt?

Well, first, it is ugly!  ;^)  I know of a half dozen Z cars owned by my Datsun buddies over the last 25 years and none of them used or had that piece.  These were street & autocross cars and had no issues running without it, so just going off that.