HybridZ

Purpose of U-clamp (exaust type) on early S30 steering racks?

I'm not sure how relevant this is but when I replaced my steering rack bushings with poly I took this piece off and the rubber fell off.  I figured the piece was there for a reason so I glued on a piece of poly I cut to the same approximate size and shape as the original rubber piece with JB weld.  I've hardly driven the car yet as I'm only just able to drive it and still tackling a number of issues before I can really drive it but this may be a good option for others who lose their rubber piece.  

I am so glad I found this post. I have been going crazy trying to figure out why my 280z lost its steering feel after rebuilding the suspension. I installed all T3 components and new bushings on everything. I was so disappointed to take my Z for drive and it felt less "sporty" than before with the old equipment. I have made about five different changes to my alignment, and have made three adjustments to my steering gear box. I had given up and just assumed that it was as good as it was going to get.

When I saw this post I went outside and checked the clamp, it was 3/8" from making contact with the the crossmember. I loosened it and pressed it against the crossmember then tightened it down. I went for a test drive and that was it. My sports car is back!!!

The symptoms it had was an instability in holding a line at higher speeds. The car would jump back and forth about a foot. Also the car was very sensitive to surface irregularities. That got scary sometimes and I learned to drive with two hands firmly on the wheel.

Thank you for asking this question, and thanks for all of the replies!

I am so glad I found this post. I have been going crazy trying to figure out why my 280z lost its steering feel after rebuilding the suspension. I installed all T3 components and new bushings on everything. I was so disappointed to take my Z for drive and it felt less "sporty" than before with the old equipment. I have made about five different changes to my alignment, and have made three adjustments to my steering gear box. I had given up and just assumed that it was as good as it was going to get.

When I saw this post I went outside and checked the clamp, it was 3/8" from making contact with the the crossmember. I loosened it and pressed it against the crossmember then tightened it down. I went for a test drive and that was it. My sports car is back!!!

The symptoms it had was an instability in holding a line at higher speeds. The car would jump back and forth about a foot. Also the car was very sensitive to surface irregularities. That got scary sometimes and I learned to drive with two hands firmly on the wheel.

Thank you for asking this question, and thanks for all of the replies!

That's really interesting to me that this little clamp makes that much of a difference.  Do you have poly rack bushings as well?  I wonder if it matters as much with poly rack bushings already installed.