HybridZ

R200 diff ratios

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How easy is it to find the 3.364:1 ratio gearset in an R200 (not an R180)? I'm currently running the 3.54:1 ratio and that little extra leverage would be nice, if it's easy to find.

Also, is there only one type of gearset for an R200 (dimensions of fit, not ratios), or multiple?

Hard to find. I think the only car was a 2+2 79 280ZX with an auto.

Have you run the numbers? You only loose a hundred rpm or so at 60 mph. I doubt it's worth it leverage-wise (you don't loose much leverage going from 3.545 to 3.364 anyway).

Pete

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Guest Anonymous

Zedskid,

Pete is right...you will only gain a hundred or so Rpms. I just swapped from the 3.36 to 3.54 and can't really tell a difference. Good luck finding the 3.36...I've been looking for over a year and finally gave up. Actually, I believe that the 3.36 only came in early '79 2+2 with a 4-speed manual. And yeah, I called Nissan to ask, and they did make (VERY FEW) 280ZX 2+2's with 4-speed. You can still buy them new from Nissan Motorsport, even get the LSD, but it's WAY TOO PRICEY for me. smile.gif Good Luck...

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by zedskid:

How easy is it to find the 3.364:1 ratio gearset in an R200 (not an R180)? I'm currently running the 3.54:1 ratio and that little extra leverage would be nice, if it's easy to find.

Also, is there only one type of gearset for an R200 (dimensions of fit, not ratios), or multiple?

You mention changing from a 3.54 to a 3.36 and gaining 'leverage'. You describe a drop in gear ratio and a decrease in torque multiplication not an increase. ie. your acceleration would be ~5% slower w/ the 3.36 assuming your not tractionally challenged (which I assume you're not as you mention gaining leverage). To gain acceleration/leverage you would want to step to a 3.7 (4.5% gain) or 3.9's/4.11's (16.1%).

As far as 3.36 R200's go they are v. rare and hard to find. I found one locally a while ago and didn't know it was so rare so sold it to a friend in need. Then couldn't find another so imported the one I have now (but not installed) from California. The 280ZX rearends are a 10mm ring gear bolt which is NOT a simple bolt in to a 12mm 300ZX posi unit just so's you know. (they can all be kept/installed as complete R200's but mixing open gears into posi's can get complicated if ring gear bolts are different sizes, anyone w/ these bushings let me know!).

Hope this helps

------------------

Ross Corrigan

'80 280ZX, just yanked the faithful '68 327 in favour of a '98 350 :-)