HybridZ

Suspension issues on my new Z

I just got this Z in a trade. 327 V8z for a clean as hell 240z with L28 and 5 speed (he totaled it yesterday :( ). My issues are the suspension can't take a bump or dip without making a loud wack noise. The previous owner cut the springs and I realize the v8 is a bit heavier. Im just guessing, but to me (no experience) the springs feel too short and there is no travel.

What do you guys think? What would you recommend to fix it?

Thanks,

Jake

You can jack the car up, put a zip tie on the strut shaft and push it all the way down, then set the car down and roll it back and forth to settle the suspension. Then jack the car back up and the location of the zip tie will show you how far the suspension is compressed. If there isn't a couple inches travel from the zip tie to the bump stop, then you need longer springs. Also, it sounds like you may not even have a bump stop in there anymore. It sounds to me like you'll probably be replacing the springs and shocks. Look at the sticky in this forum that warns about Tokico springs before you buy anything...

You can jack the car up, put a zip tie on the strut shaft and push it all the way down, then set the car down and roll it back and forth to settle the suspension. Then jack the car back up and the location of the zip tie will show you how far the suspension is compressed. If there isn't a couple inches travel from the zip tie to the bump stop, then you need longer springs. Also, it sounds like you may not even have a bump stop in there anymore. It sounds to me like you'll probably be replacing the springs and shocks. Look at the sticky in this forum that warns about Tokico springs before you buy anything...

good tip

Jake, I assume you got the 327 V8? Firstly I'd caution to take it easy in this potential beast until you've been over all critical systems thoroughly and then progressively tested them with confidence (throttle/brake/susp/struts/tires/lugnuts etc etc!). Hopefully nothing much shows up and if it does you'll just be glad you're safe! Knowing you have one known bug is more than enough to make one want to have full peace of mind on the build.

Jon's tip is great, be careful after doing that check when removing the zap strap to avoid nicking the strut insert cylinder surface. I've typically suggested pushing your bump stop to the bottom for similar test if you have a bump stop installed and accessible. Find out if you're bottoming on the springs/strut's or if a gland nuts loose. The big nut holding your strut insert inside the strut tube (gland nut) can come loose and be quite annoying to trouble shoot. Not common but does occur. Jarring noise and often sensation depending on how loose it's come.

Good luck and let us know what you find. Once you've figured out what you've got it'll be easier for you to decide if a simple fix is preferred or if you want to look at some new parts or packages etc. If it has been run with suspension bottoming on struts then the struts are typically shot but see what the testing yields.

Im pretty sure the suspension is bottoming out on all four corners. Would stock springs be up to the task in the front if I can find some? What about the back?

It has a pretty nasty shimmy when I get up to freeway speed. What could cause this? Unbalanced wheel? crappy alignment?

AND

Will a 16x7.5 +22, 16x8.5 +37 set of wheels fit underneath the fenders? I have ZGs that came with the car, along with holes in my rear quarters :(

Thanks,

Jake

Jake, did you get a chance to check your available travel? the gland nuts? etc?

Unless doing a wholesale replacement (which many do but doesn't sound your intent at present) best to understand what you have and the problems present. Otherwise changes may not address your specific problems and they may continue.

Shimmy can be any of the things you note and more. (be good to grab a Haynes or service manual etc if you don't have one already).

"Would stock springs be up to the task", what's your goal? Safe grocery retrieval or wicked canyon carving/honda tossing fun? V8 builds are typically for taking it easy so builders typically want to kick most systems up in performance from what a new or old stock Z system would provide. Up front depends on your added weight/strut condition/ride height and driving style with road conditions etc if stock springs will tolerate your use. Rear similar but also more related to your torque applied on throttle for starters.

The 16's you can fit but would need some manner of spacer. If coilovers were in place spacers would be quite thin if you wanted the wheels tucked inward/otherwise push them out as far as they'll clear comfortably on the fenders. Either way good to replace your wheel studs (can go stock or longer aftermarket's etc). Slip on spacers can be custom made easily or bolt on wheel adaptors. Minimum thickness for bolt on's is 3/4". Got some 3/4's being done right now for a site member, typically custom orders. Email us if you'd like to explore this or replacement suspension options (we don't deal with stock suspension parts/upgraded performance items only) Wider wheels etc can be fitted depending on your flare design and installation. Easiest to put the car up and measure very carefully/borrow some various wheels etc and see how they fit along with site research.

Cheers and good luck.